2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

14 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I understand the concern of him bolting, but I can’t imagine Payton took this job with a Russ-or-bust mentality. There’s literally only one person in the world who thinks Russ Wilson is the future of the Broncos QB position.

I agree - just more what happens if year 1 post Russ what if we don’t find the next guy.   Then does he stick it out.   I def don’t think he hitched his wagon to Russ or bust.   But would he stick for a 2-3 year rebuild?   That’s the Q imo.   

It's wild to me how ready everyone is to cut Russ after 1/2 seasons, even if it means essentially handicapping the next 2 seasons (cap-wise). 

I've never been the biggest fan (mostly for his cringe-inducing personality) but there's no doubt he's been one of the best 5-7 QBs the last 10 or so years. He averaged 30 TD/9 INT per season prior to last year and while Pete Caroll is a fantastic players coach, it's not like he's some Shanahan/Mcvay-esque guru. Physically, he still has his fastball and even if he's lost a step he's still in the upper echelon of athletic QBs (after the Lamars, Fields, etc). 

There's a definite possibility Russ is no longer a top 5 or even top 10 QB in the league, but I'd chalk last year up to more of an anomaly than a trend until post 2023 season. It's hard to be optimistic with the offense/QBs that have trotted out in the post-Manning era but a little patience seems justifiable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

This would’ve made a LOT more sense for the player than going to Dallas. 

Dallas?? They’ve got a quality 1 and 2. Lance is arguably in a worse spot than he was in SF. Tough

This says a lot about DAL wanting to hedge their bets on Dak after 2024.    He’ll be 32 which still has a lot of years left in today’s QB-protected era - but also means he’s pretty much a finished product at this stage.    Cooper Rush is a very serviceable backup but I don’t think they see him as a successor.    

Lance is just a lottery ticket but the fact he’s cheap for 2 years and Dak’a contract expires at the same is no coincidence.   Obv they’re not committing to Lance but they’re also not letting Dak think he’s a lock to extend on his terms either.   

Edited by Broncofan

13 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

This would’ve made a LOT more sense for the player than going to Dallas. 

Dallas?? They’ve got a quality 1 and 2. Lance is arguably in a worse spot than he was in SF. Tough

Jerry Jones is desperate for any kind of insight he can get on how to beat Kyle in the playoffs 🤣

On 8/23/2023 at 8:51 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

Watch Payton trade for Trey Lance and build a Taysom Hill package for him. 

I was kind of hoping we might do a conditional trade for Trey Lance.  Like so much promise but no reps at all.   Like maybe a fourth and if he becomes legit in a couple of years throw in a third.  Oh well its done and over now and yeah not a good spot for him at all imo.  What a great performance vs the rams :)