2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

I’ve been looking at our cap situation and whilst we only currently have $9.3m in cap room, there’s a lot of guys on the roster that sure look like cap casualty candidates

Glasgow $11m surely gone

Darby $9.6m pay cut candidate maybe

Edmonds $5.9m gone. Martin $3.8m gone.

Jacob Martin, Lloyd Cushenberry, Mike Purcell and Brandon McManus all strong possibilities to be cut as well. Maybe Josey Jewell but I think he sticks around.

Either way I think Paton gets us to $35m cap room 

Which internal FAs should be back? Dre’Mont Jones and Dalton Risner the most interesting ones 

Edited by paul-mac

15 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Thought Glasgow already restructured before this season ? 

Not quite sure how they restructured, maybe someone can fill in the blanks.  Right now he's got a cap # of $14 million with a dead cap of $3 mil. 

Pretty tough to justify the $11 million based on his play. That's really good money for an OG.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/graham-glasgow-19049/

9 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Thought Glasgow already restructured before this season ? 

He restructured to take a 5.3M pay cut - so his cap hit wasn't pushed back.  Only way he was staying with team.  

At 11M, he's a goner.    Add McManus to the 4 @paul-mac covered, and we save 31.8M.   And that's before we got into any restructures (which I'm not necessarily in support of, but point being we have a lot of room to maneuver with).

Edited by Broncofan

I would be interested to see if Martin is willing to take a paycut to stick around. We're really thin at OLB, especially with the injury-plagued season Gregory just had, so Martin would get plenty of opportunity here should he be willing to take a paycut.

Mike Purcell is a definite candidate for release. We save $3.4m cutting him and that's with only $285k dead cap. He took a huge backwards step last year, and I know we're thin on the DL but we're going to need that money I imagine.

Cushenberry is another - $2.6m saved by cutting him with just $235k dead cap.

In terms of starters that we require - you're looking at Center, LG, RT, DE (at least 1) and possibly OLB. In terms of depth - there probably isn't a single position on the roster that I'd be upset with us acquiring a player at.

• Like 2

With rumors about Garrett Bowles being traded (and yet another OL hole to fill), seems like they think Calvin Anderson is up to the task of fill the LT spot. It would open some cap space as well as het us some draft capital ( could we get a 2nd or 3rd for him ?).  Unless Munchak is surprisingly re-hired, I'm OK with this (not thrilled about Anderson, but it is a rebuilding stage) particular idea.

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

With rumors about Garrett Bowles being traded (and yet another OL hole to fill), seems like they think Calvin Anderson is up to the task of fill the LT spot. It would open some cap space as well as het us some draft capital ( could we get a 2nd or 3rd for him ?).  Unless Munchak is surprisingly re-hired, I'm OK with this (not thrilled about Anderson, but it is a rebuilding stage) particular idea.

Anderson's a UFA this year. 

This is ugly. 

https://www.denver7.com/sports/broncos/nflpa-player-survey-ranks-broncos-20th?fbclid=IwAR3pC2KBcwv0MDuKvH_JmeedU4vYRxPNCUAzTj7jZkh_Iifd7dj9livu9aU

To to be fair to the Walmarts, and I’m sure they were aware of the findings, but this isn’t an immediate snapshot, it probably includes a lot of residual from years past when Ellis was running the organization on a shoestring budget.

But I’m if the Walmarts I am making this an urgent priority to address and improve. I’d love to see the results a year from now. Things like this can really, really hurt us with free agents. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is ugly. 

https://www.denver7.com/sports/broncos/nflpa-player-survey-ranks-broncos-20th?fbclid=IwAR3pC2KBcwv0MDuKvH_JmeedU4vYRxPNCUAzTj7jZkh_Iifd7dj9livu9aU

To to be fair to the Walmarts, and I’m sure they were aware of the findings, but this isn’t an immediate snapshot, it probably includes a lot of residual from years past when Ellis was running the organization on a shoestring budget.

But I’m if the Walmarts I am making this an urgent priority to address and improve. I’d love to see the results a year from now. Things like this can really, really hurt us with free agents. 

I am not even worried about this.  Prenner has already updated the sod at Mile High, and is updating the stadium including renovated locker rooms.  I am sure the rest of the facilities will get their upgrades.  

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is ugly. 

This survey was conducted in March last year so it’s 100% the trust. 

Have read that there isn’t much they can do with the training facility, it’s a location issue.

• Like 1