2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

As much as I think Dre’mont is physically more gifted - Zach Allen fits the 3-4 and has more of a 2-way game.    I can see why they went there - with VJ being there it was such an easy call.     Allen was literally one of maybe 4 good to very good players on that horrific Cards D (Watt, Budda Baker & 

I still think we could use 1 more interior pass rusher piece in the value tier like a Shelby Harris.    And a DL run stuffer (who will be much cheaper).    Then depth at 4th CB / 4th WR (latter class being thin).   RB depth is so good we’ll find a vet FA and hopefully pair with a draft guy too.   

If Paton does trade Sutton it would likely signal one more impact signing.    As much as FA isn’t sustainable to rebuild a team without the draft pieces this year I get the reasons.   And addressing trenches on both sides is def the right call.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As much as I think Dre’mont is physically more gifted - Zach Allen fits the 3-4 and has more of a 2-way game.    I can see why they went there.     He was literally one of maybe 4 good to very good players on that horrific Cards D.   

I still think we could use 1 more interior pass rusher piece in the value tier like a Shelby Harris.    And a DL run stuffer (who will be much cheaper).    Then depth at 4th CB / 4th WR (latter class being thin).   RB depth is so good we’ll find a vet FA and hopefully pair with a draft guy too.   

If Paton does trade Sutton it would likely signal one more impact signing.    As much as FA isn’t sustainable to rebuild a team without the draft pieces this year I get the reasons.   And addressing trenches on both sides is def the right call.   

With limited draft capital, “eff you” owner money and pressure to win, I can understand why they went this route. I don’t think it’s best practice but I do get it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

As much as I think Dre’mont is physically more gifted - Zach Allen fits the 3-4 and has more of a 2-way game.    I can see why they went there.     He was literally one of maybe 4 good to very good players on that horrific Cards D.   

Can we just continue to throw 15M at every available OL out there, Im really enjoying that part lol They have almost rid themselves of the stench from Glasgow/Risner/Cushenberry. Go get Connor McGovern back at Center and spend all of your draft picks on defense.

The Broncos have signed and spent a lot, getting some good talent--but they are also losing talent all over the place from a year ago so it sort of offsets. 

They got rid of Bradley Chubb, Dre'mont Jones, likely Courtland Sutton, Ronald Darby, Kareem Jackson, Chase Edmunds, missing Javonte with injury still, Graham Glasgow, Dalton Risner, ect. That is a lot of starters/talent to lose in one season and replace them with 3 (slightly overpaid) free agents in McGlitchey/Powers/Allen.........and we have no draft picks to get immediate talent.

So spending money is the only option we got. Keep it goin

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Can we just continue to throw 15M at every available OL out there, Im really enjoying that part lol They have almost rid themselves of the stench from Glasgow/Risner/Cushenberry. Go get Connor McGovern back at Center and spend all of your draft picks on defense.

The Broncos have signed and spent a lot, getting some good talent--but they are also losing talent all over the place from a year ago so it sort of offsets. 

They got rid of Bradley Chubb, Dre'mont Jones, likely Courtland Sutton, Ronald Darby, Kareem Jackson, Chase Edmunds, missing Javonte with injury still, Graham Glasgow, Dalton Risner, ect. That is a lot of starters/talent to lose in one season and replace them with 3 (slightly overpaid) free agents in McGlitchey/Powers/Allen.........and we have no draft picks to get immediate talent.

So spending money is the only option we got. Keep it goin

Chubb —-> Browning full time 

Dre’Mont —> Zach Allen

Sutton —> unclear (also unclear if he’s gone) but team seems to definitely be shifting to a more run heavy approach + Patrick will be back

Darby —> Damarri Mathis 

KJack —> Caden Sterns 

Edmunds —> it’s RBs, not hard to find guys

Glasgow —> looks pretty washed, doubt you really lose anything here 

Risner —> Ben Powers 

They have work to do and building depth will be tough but there are players in-house and FAs brought in today who should fill these roles. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Chubb —-> Browning full time 

Dre’Mont —> Zach Allen

Sutton —> unclear (also unclear if he’s gone) but team seems to definitely be shifting to a more run heavy approach + Patrick will be back

Darby —> Damarri Mathis 

KJack —> Caden Sterns 

Edmunds —> it’s RBs, not hard to find guys

Glasgow —> looks pretty washed, doubt you really lose anything here 

Risner —> Ben Powers 

They have work to do and building depth will be tough but there are players in-house and FAs brought in today who should fill these roles. 

Filling the C with a cheap long term guy is a priority with us spending o at 3 positions.   I def see C as a target in Rd3.    I’m good with all the subs we’re making above except Sutton / Patrick.    Because Patrick is year 1 ACL much like Sutton last year he’s not going to have full explosion.    But clearing Sutton $ and allocating elsewhere and getting a Rd3 pick (might have to send a late 5th back) makes so much sense.   Not only are we going to be more run heavy but the X is a key spot for WR but the others aren’t nearly as valuable.    Jeudy’s dominant 5-6 game run as the X really makes a trade such a good play roster wise of we can get another Day 2 pick back.   

The one thing we’ll lack for is depth unless we hit in the value FA & Day 3 draft.    On that front it’s good our trade capital restores after this year.   Getting guys like Browning / Meinerz / Sterns / Mathis enables us to spend big at a few spots.  But we’ll need to keep hitting in the draft in Rd3-5 to afford the cap spikes next year.    Fingers crossed.    

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Filling the C with a cheap long term guy is a priority with us spending o at 3 positions.   I def see C as a target in Rd3.    I’m good with all the subs we’re making above except Sutton / Patrick.    Because Patrick is year 1 ACL much like Sutton last year he’s not going to have full explosion.    But clearing Sutton $ and allocating elsewhere and getting a Rd3 pick (might have to send a late 5th back) makes so much sense.   Not only are we going to be more run heavy but the X is a key spot for WR but the others aren’t nearly as valuable.    Jeudy’s dominant 5-6 game run as the X really makes a trade such a good play roster wise of we can get another Day 2 pick back.   

The one thing we’ll lack for is depth unless we hit in the value FA & Day 3 draft.    On that front it’s good our trade capital restores after this year.   Getting guys like Browning / Meinerz / Sterns / Mathis enables us to spend big at a few spots.  But we’ll need to keep hitting in the draft in Rd3-5 to afford the cap spikes next year.    Fingers crossed.    

Do they still have Williams at nickle? That would make me feel better about CB. Center is still like you said is a major need (hopefully in FA on a reliable vet). DT and SS is a need unless they really believe in Sterns coming off injury. I would like to see Kareem Hunt as a main target. He would be great to have as the feature back until Williams gets back and then they can timeshare.

As for the WR corp, it's so strange to me. On paper they look amazing but there are so many question marks because of mostly injury. Patrick, Sutton, Jeudy and Hamler have all missed major time with injuries and we never have anyone fully healthy together. They have all flashed for stretches but again, can't maintain consistency. 

I'm nervous about getting rid of one of them, though it's understandable if they go more run heavy. If they go more run heavy, that's where I want Kareem Hunt signed.

Edited by AkronsWitness