2023 NFL offseason

Forge

1 hour ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Wow that late? ….you put games on the line with an udfa?

What's the difference between a UDFA kicker and a fifth round pick kicker? They are all #collegekickers. 

Position has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much random in it for me to put anything worth while into it for the draft. Kickers hold no value for me until I know what they can do at the NFL level and even then there's a ton of up and down. Everyone is going to say "gotta go get Jake Moody"...he's not even a consensus #1 kicker. Kiper, McShay, Jordan Reid, Matt Miller have Chad Ryland #1. 

Pff likes Moody, PFN had Mevis as #1, etc etc. 

This team can just sign Joey Slye again and it would probably be fine. If you have a really good kicker who is one of the best in the league, keep him around. If you don't, they are all kind of the same and subject to random ups and downs. Grab a guy in the 7th or udfa, sign a street free agent on the super cheap, bring them in to compete. Besides, we know Shanny is just going to have them all kicking 29 - 33 yard field goals anyway. They should be able to handle that. 

Just get someone who kick a damn touchback. 

• Like 6

I think I’d go 4th on Moody to make sure we get him. I know we don’t have a 4th at this point. May be an unpopular idea, but I just think the position is too important to not get the #1. Watched every Michigan game the last couple years and I think he’s the guy. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

What's the difference between a UDFA kicker and a fifth round pick kicker? They are all #collegekickers. 

Position has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much random in it for me to put anything worth while into it for the draft. Kickers hold no value for me until I know what they can do at the NFL level and even then there's a ton of up and down. Everyone is going to say "gotta go get Jake Moody"...he's not even a consensus #1 kicker. Kiper, McShay, Jordan Reid, Matt Miller have Chad Ryland #1 and that dude was bad last year. 

Pff likes Moody, PFN had Mevis as #1, etc etc. 

This team can just sign Joey Slye again and it would probably be fine. If you have a really good kicker who is one of the best in the league, keep him around. If you don't, they are all kind of the same and subject to random ups and downs. Grab a guy in the 7th or udfa, sign a street free agent on the super cheap, bring them in to compete. Besides, we know Shanny is just going to have them all kicking 29 - 33 yard field goals anyway. They should be able to handle that. 

Just get someone who kick kick a damn touchback. 

Ha …..i guess i hold kickers at a higher value. Kickers like Moody and Ryland will get drafted for a reason in my opinon.

9 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I think I’d go 4th on Moody to make sure we get him. I know we don’t have a 4th at this point. May be an unpopular idea, but I just think the position is too important to not get the #1. Watched every Michigan game the last couple years and I think he’s the guy. 

Id be all for it. Im just as unpopular as you then lol

1 minute ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Ha …..i guess i hold kickers at a higher value. Kickers like Moody and Ryland will get drafted for a reason in my opinon.

It's not about valuing the position. If you have a good one, keep them. But scouting them is an exercise in futility

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not about valuing the position. If you have a good one, keep them. But scouting them is an exercise in futility

And I think any and every UDFA kicker would be dying to come join this team.

Despeite having a potent offense, we're still average-poor in the red-zone@scoring TDs. Any kicker straight out of college could come here and showcase their worth rather quickly.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

I want guys I’ve see kick in big situations. And I want them to be cheap. Rookie deal then adios. I’d rather spend the money elsewhere once they are proven. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Besides, we know Shanny is just going to have them all kicking 29 - 33 yard field goals anyway. They should be able to handle that. 

Give me a bad kicker that forces Kyle to be more aggressive on 4th downs. lol 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I want guys I’ve see kick in big situations. And I want them to be cheap. Rookie deal then adios. I’d rather spend the money elsewhere once they are proven. 

Kicking in big situations is pretty limited in terms of scope, and even more random because they just don't have a sample size to be meaningful. I've seen Chase Mclaughin kick one of the worst field goals in that situation ever and also make huge fields in that situation. 

Going this route, you're always hoping against hope that you get a good spin on the random wheel of kicker performance. You can just as easily sign some random street free agents at the vet minimum and at least know what they look like at the NFL level. 

I've seen Harrison Mevis drill a 50 yarder to send a game to overtime against BC and a game winner against Arkansas. He's also missed a 26 yard field goal to win a game. 

I just don't know what's special about Moody that makes anyone think he's worth something like a 4th round pick. He was 3/7 on 50+ yarders last year, 4/9 in his career. Mevis was 4/6 from 50+ last year and 10/13 in his career. I'd be perfectly happy with giving any of those guys a shot, so I definitely don't feel the need to go up and burn an early day three pick on one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Kicking in big situations is pretty limited in terms of scope, and even more random because they just don't have a sample size to be meaningful. I've seen Chase Mclaughin kick one of the worst field goals in that situation ever and also make huge fields in that situation. 

Going this route, you're always hoping against hope that you get a good spin on the random wheel of kicker performance. You can just as easily sign some random street free agents at the vet minimum and at least know what they look like at the NFL level. 

I've seen Harrison Mevis drill a 50 yarder to send a game to overtime against BC and a game winner against Arkansas. He's also missed a 26 yard field goal to win a game. 

I just don't know what's special about Moody that makes anyone think he's worth something like a 4th round pick. He was 3/7 on 50+ yarders last year, 4/9 in his career. Mevis was 4/6 from 50+ last year and 10/13 in his career. I'd be perfectly happy with giving any of those guys a shot, so I definitely don't feel the need to go up and burn an early day three pick on one. 

Janokowski was the only kicker I ever saw that I was legit thinking this a guy you need to draft fairly early.

Everyone else can kick rocks (pun intended).

Personally, I'd never spend a pick earlier than the 6th on a kicker.

I might spend a 4th or 5th on a elite punter before a elite kicker if I'm being perfectly honest. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

CGJ, Adrian Amos, Yannick, Leonard Floyd, Justin Houston, A'Shawn Robinson, Matt Feiler, Smoot, Isaiah Wynn, Irv Smith, Rock Ya Sin.... All some guys I'd be interested in as their market falls apart 

We still have roughly $8.7 in cap space? How much we need for the rookie class? 

6 minutes ago, straighthate said:

We still have roughly $8.7 in cap space? How much we need for the rookie class? 

I'm basically using the lowered cap hit of the Bosa extension, when it happens this summer, as what we will use for the rookie class