Saquon Barkley gets new 1 year deal- Reports to camp!

Acgott

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Sucks for SB. But that 12M AAV deal is still on the table. Take the security my man. Don't play under the tag and risk injury. 

Tough spot for him. I'd love for him to take that deal. But he knows another team would overpay him. That's why he didn't accept it in the first place. But like you said, now he's gotta play on a one year deal with the risk of an injury wiping away any potential sizable contracts. Or he could sit and refuse to play on the tag. But that didn't work out too well for Leveon Bell.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ryan_W said:

wish Barkley would sign for reasonable $

always been a fan of the work on the field

it'd be a shame if his pick rank is overriding rational thinking

They will. Not worried about it. Barkley has little leverage.

So on Saturday morning, we get that Barkley article from nj.com from someone I never heard of. None of our main writers comment on it, but the main point is this.

The Giants, according to sources, offered Barkley a multi-year deal worth $12.5 million a season at the bye week, then increased that number to $13 million with a chance to get to $14 million in incentives shortly after the season.

Barkley rejected both deals. He and his agent Kim Miale obviously overestimated the running-back market.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/05/giants-impasse-with-saquon-barkley-continues-is-there-any-clear-path-to-a-settlement.html

Then today, at the same exact time, we get this from two giants beat.

This game of tag from Giants sources and then to Barkley sources is very interesting.

I still believe they will come to a long term agreement by the July deadline. Giants don’t want their best offensive player missing half or the full season. Barkley will lose about $5M if he holds out for half the season. Giants would just franchise tag him again for under $14M.

Saquon is too competitive and too invested in the team to sit out half a season. But I agree that I think a longer term deal gets done before the deadline as well. There's just no way he plays on the tag, and we know Schoen is in contact with his reps. 

He's foolish to turn down 12M not to mention 14M with incentives. I love him and want him back but for F sakes... take the deal. The RB market is weak and you are only going to get this $$$ from the Giants. Just take the F'ing deal and lets go to work....

30 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

He's foolish to turn down 12M not to mention 14M with incentives. I love him and want him back but for F sakes... take the deal. The RB market is weak and you are only going to get this $$$ from the Giants. Just take the F'ing deal and lets go to work....

We don’t know the actual numbers. It could just be fake fluff with just $3M guaranteed.

13 hours ago, Acgott said:

We don’t know the actual numbers. It could just be fake fluff with just $3M guaranteed.

Sure. But we do know what was leaked by a "Giants Insider". And yet I've seen no denial of the 12M offer and now 3 days later no denial of the 14M offer by SB, his agent, or anyone in his camp....

I've seen his agent deny they have a 16M ask. But she did not deny the Giants offered 14M

Edited by Shockwave

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Sure. But we do know what was leaked by a "Giants Insider". And yet I've seen no denial of the 12M offer and now 3 days later no denial of the 14M offer by SB, his agent, or anyone in his camp....

I've seen his agent deny they have a 16M ask. But she did not deny the Giants offered 14M

She posted one time, two days ago on the matter. I wouldn’t be using that as a burden of truth. Again, I do not trust the above source with NJ.com. I think there is something fishy that it was broken by some random writer I have never heard of. You don’t negotiate in the media, it doesn’t help Saquon at all.

^ Let's for a sec assume the reports are true... what is your take? Earlier in this thread you stated you see him signing for "reasonable money". What is reasonable for a 26 year old RB who has missed 20 something games in his career, in a weak market, facing the tag, and no other suiters?