TCMD SIM Discussion

ny92mike

6 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

I mean you're right. Your way is simpler. This picture I added has some Strong-I, Singleback, Pistol, etc. It may be more than is necessary if simplicity is truly our goal. Just thought it might add to the Gameplanning aspect without going BDL-level in depth.

I was thinking if you were playing a team with say a Davante Adams, Zeke Elliott, but horrible #2 WR and average TE you might plan one way. Another team built more like Buffalo you might try another. Rather than just saying overall 53% aggressiveness changing to 55% aggressiveness. We can debate this for quite a while. But let's not rush our decision.

Yeah my goal is keeping the in season stuff simple.  Basic is the name of the game for at least this first season and if we feel like we have the man power to expand on some things we can make changes but this first year I want to keep it basic.  I still want the primary focus of the sim to be the off season.  I got out of BDL because of the amount of time it took during the season.  For several it's the perfect amount but I had a hard time putting that much time into something each week.  Writing game plans and voting just got to be too much.  So I'm trying to create something that is easy to manage, that doesn't take a lot of time to keep updated for myself or the ones playing.

• Like 1

So smoking and thinking....haha

Salary Cap Structure

• Player Contracts
    • Limit to 7 year contracts
    • Contract will consist of a base salary, base guarantees and signing bonuses.
      • Base Salary - Only guaranteed once the season starts during the off season is considered non guaranteed.
      • Base Gtd. Is only used when applying transactions that make it guaranteed: i.e. RFA tenders, tags, 5th year options.
      • Signing Bonus - Guaranteed funds that cannot be removed from the players contract.  Converts to dead money if released, traded.
    • Subsequent Rule:
      • Applies to free agent contract builder and extensions (extensions could be increased to 45 or 50% to account for prorated money carrying after from the old contract)
        • 40% for second year of contract
        • 30% for each year after
    • We treat transactions just as we are currently doing in tcmd, but we'll include post June transactions and we can also make transaction releases hit your cap at the correct times.  Like the june 1st release in the current mock hits your cap the minute you make the transaction.  
    • 70 man roster limit during the offseason and then you must flag players that works like the practice squad / injury reserve for a 53 man roster when the season starts.
      • practice squad limits
        • 17 man limit
        • 7 of those players you can lock to your roster so that another team can't steal them.  The other 10 is open for another team to sign to their 53.  
          • If signed to your 53 you must keep the player on your active 53 for the entire season.
  • Top 51 is always in effect.  I like this idea because I believe if would be difficult for us to manage two caps.  Odds are we'd over spend in the off season and then end up having to make a bunch of cuts.  We can debate this if you guys want but I really believe this would work best for everyone and that our bottom half likely to be our practice squad based on the books those likely wouldn't be hurting your cap.
    • There will be some restrictions based on future cap to ensure that you don't cripple the future GM if for whatever reason you decide to leave.  As I Giants fan I just saw this first hand the past season.  Previous GM the roster in a mess, but even more damaging that even after he left the current GM had a horrible cap situation he had to deal with.  I'm not sure what kind of restrictions we can apply.  I'd prefer it be based on a number based on the next years cap.  I don't want to have to prevent a transaction or something like that in fear that it will damage the team.  I'd prefer to have a formula determine this.  
  • League cap will be based on the NFL for the first year after that we will review the numbers based on our tcmd sim numbers and determine if we use them or continue with following the NFL numbers.
    • Once we get the cap figured out this first year, because we'll have to make some adjustments based on the number of people we get to join.
      • I'd like to get to a point that everything get based off of the values of tcmd to determine tag, tender, vet min, etc 
        • The less data we have to pull from websites the more time it takes to update each year.  If we could get to a point it would be so much easier to collect data straight from the workbooks.
  • Restructures
    • If we are strictly monitoring the future salary cap then I don't think we need to put limits on the number of these allowed but I believe we do need to create an allotment based on a future cap % based on the teams current future cap.  This number could fluctuate during the off season as you make cuts etc.  
  • Extensions
    • This needs to have a similar restriction applied to the cap as well.
    • Again, no limit but that it cannot exceed the allotment amount.
    • Player must have no more than 2 years remaining on the contract.
    • Extension APY values is the greater of the APY value or franchise / transition tag values.  If current salary is higher than both of these the current salary * 120% is used.

This next bit is just me thinking out loud.

I don't believe this would be terribly difficult to manage during the offseason I'm basically doing that already however during the season we would need to create quarterly times that transactions are conducted.  Having to focus on this once a week will burn me out and if I'm not willing to do it I can't ask you guys to.  Who knows it may get to a point to where we only do transactions at the end of each year.  

I just keep thinking the easier the better for all of us.  I still want the main focus of this to be about the off season.  This is partly why I believe we can still get 32 members to join.  I'm not making my focus on the sim.  I mainly want to do this just so I can see what my actions in the mock might play out and I think more want that than they are for looking at some sim that they have to monitor every single week.  However if that's what you want it'll be available.  What I envision is more of an attachment to tcmd rather than it being it's own thing.  Basing this on actual stats is perfect for this, so I think the two would marry well.  I bet everyone in this mock even if it was just an immediate sim that produced the season outcome would be willing to see the outcome if not just for curiosity.  

I don't even want to be concerned with even having to set my depth chart each week.  Let me adjust my sliders and whatnot for the week and I'm good.  Let he workbook formulas determine my depth chart based on the stats for that week.  Take my best stats and those are who started.  I don't want to be chasing the hot hand each week...yes I'm that lazy.  I'll spend days, weeks or even months building something that allows me to be lazy in the future.  No way I could manage this mock or any other for that matter if I didn't have this somewhat built for a limited number to manage.  I plan to do the same with this, nonetheless I can't do this one without additional help if I still plan to do both the mock and this sim.  I'll have to have members assigned sections to keep updated.  I really do think that once you guys see how this works, most of you that have enjoyed tcmd or plan on joining next year will be on board for this.

Anyway, I got the munchies and can only keep one eye open.

• Like 1

All looks very good @ny92mike

• Extension APY values is the greater of the APY value or franchise / transition tag values.  If current salary is higher than both of these the current salary * 120% is used.

Just please explain this a little better for me. It’s reading a bit funny. franchise tag values or what? Their current APY?

Now just to ponder how to restrict future spending….🤔

5 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

• Extension APY values is the greater of the APY value or franchise / transition tag values.  If current salary is higher than both of these the current salary * 120% is used.

Just please explain this a little better for me. It’s reading a bit funny. franchise tag values or what? Their current APY?

Yeah... APY has to be greater than one current year of said tag.  Very tight.

We would have a problem if Mike managed to figure out prices for exclusive franchise tags in TCMD.    Imagine exclusive f tagged qb will be charged for 40m. You may reduce to about 34m for that year and fix the future years' caps to reach 41m APY.

I could be wrong but it sound about that way.

Edited by JetsandI

10 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Right, so to extend a player you must offer an APY minimum of the cost of the franchise tag value.  However, if the players contract already exceeds that amount the APY demand is 120% of current APY value. 

This forces the team to offer a quality contract to extend the players contract.

This takes the guess work out of my hand of how much is enough.  It limits teams from being able to extend all of their top players because it would cost too much.  This combined with the extension allotment would curb future spending, I believe.

I get that players sign extensions for far less money.  Those are typical one to two year deals though.  The longer the contract length the more money is dropped which makes sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...