TCMD SIM Discussion

ny92mike

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I am a nerd for this stuff.  I will do whatever you guys want.  

I AM ALL IN.

Drop your opinions in here too.  I'll type up my thoughts later tonight when things calm down around the house.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Good point.  I do recall that being a discussion a few years back that it would take weeks to draft all of these players.  

Without going into all the hurdles I kinda like the idea of picking a team where you take either the entire roster of the top 10 or so players and then free agency the rest to fill the roster.

The first thing and we've hit a snag...haha.

keeping a set number might work.  would have to figure out the salary cap process.  32 teams works like the NFL, any number less means that SIM league teams would have more higher priced players and less UDFA and league minimum players to fill out the rosters.  

I am interested, just afraid of the workload and stress this could potentially offer Mike. I would manage my team, if given, actively though and participate. I don't think I'd be able to go above and beyond in gathering info or helping with behind the scenes as life is busy.

Edited by Trojan

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

keeping a set number might work.  would have to figure out the salary cap process.  32 teams works like the NFL, any number less means that SIM league teams would have more higher priced players and less UDFA and league minimum players to fill out the rosters.  

Right...I think once we get some stuff loaded into workbooks we can nail down salary cap stuff.  With it in workbooks it'll be easier to calculate this stuff.

Just so much to consider when setting this up.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

I am interested, just afraid of the workload and stress this could potentially offer Mike. I would manage my team, if given, actively though and participate. I don't think I'd be able to go above and beyond in gathering info or helping with behind the scenes as life is busy.

Right, gotta set this up so it's easy to manage.  Help or not it's a monster to keep up with it all.  

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Right...I think once we get some stuff loaded into workbooks we can nail down salary cap stuff.  With it in workbooks it'll be easier to calculate this stuff.

Just so much to consider when setting this up.

i don't think you can wait to load things into workbooks to have what teams have available during the draft/auction.  

take your NYG roster and cap situation.  how many of those players in the top 51/53 are less than $2M for 2023?

if the SIM league is 16/20/24 teams, you are swapping those bottom of the roster players that are less than $2M for 2023 for better players at higher salaries.... so staying within the required salary cap, if not expanded from the $225M, would be next to impossible

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

i don't think you can wait to load things into workbooks to have what teams have available during the draft/auction.  

take your NYG roster and cap situation.  how many of those players in the top 51/53 are less than $2M for 2023?

if the SIM league is 16/20/24 teams, you are swapping those bottom of the roster players that are less than $2M for 2023 for better players at higher salaries.... so staying within the required salary cap, if not expanded from the $225M, would be next to impossible

You're saying we either need to change the cost of the player or the league cap to make it work.  

I'm just talking about loading the current nfl rosters and cap into a workbook to make it easier to determine what we need to do to make it work.  I was looking at irl rosters earlier today, was having a discussion with my buddy about how much quarterbacks are making these days and how it kills other positions and the roster from making any real money, and most of the teams have about 10 to 15 making on average 5 million or more the rest were 3 million or less.  KC's roster is amazing really, they are paying about 5 guys good money and everyone else is 2 mill or less.

I'd like to be able to structure this so that in the future if it expands to more teams we can work that in.  

5 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Personally I would want to still start with the Cardinals. I may not have a Mahomes/Burrow so it would be more difficult but that’s part of the fun 

I like that personally, as bad as my giants are I still want the entire team starting out.  Not really a fan of a fantasy mock draft.  Prefer to lean on the side of realism.

6 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I like that personally, as bad as my giants are I still want the entire team starting out.  Not really a fan of a fantasy mock draft.  Prefer to lean on the side of realism.

When I did my expansion team, I took one terrible contract or a not important player from each team. I started in the 2019 draft, and I have one expansion player left on my roster. The turn over is crazy and the teams won't look like the real life teams like 5 seconds after the event takes off. It doesn't really matter the starting point roster other than it'd be best to start probably around the SB or now. The issue I think that you'd need to brainstorm most is retention of players. Like if Bengals drafted Joe Burrow, do they get a home team discount to extend him or will the formula dictate he demands 70mil a year when they try to extend their successful pick, where they then realistically need him to hit FA for a round or two and bid to retain.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

You're saying we either need to change the cost of the player or the league cap to make it work.  

if the SIM league is less than 32 teams, yes, the $225 cap for each team would need to increase 

I'm just talking about loading the current nfl rosters and cap into a workbook to make it easier to determine what we need to do to make it work.  I was looking at irl rosters earlier today, was having a discussion with my buddy about how much quarterbacks are making these days and how it kills other positions and the roster from making any real money, and most of the teams have about 10 to 15 making on average 5 million or more the rest were 3 million or less.  KC's roster is amazing really, they are paying about 5 guys good money and everyone else is 2 mill or less.

just about every roster is like that.  with  4 years rookie draft picks + UDFA, average of like 7-8 players per year, that is around 30 players that are making a rookie wage salary or less. 

GB has 23 players in their top 51 that are counting less than $1.0M on the cap for 2023. 

another 10 players between $1.0 - $2.0M on the cap for 2023

7 players between $2.0 and $4.0M on the cap for 2023

I'd like to be able to structure this so that in the future if it expands to more teams we can work that in.  

curious to see how you would run that

16-20-24 teams to start. Doesn't really matter.

INITIAL STARTUP: You can call your teams whatever you want. I think it's fun if you make it your own, something silly or stupid, but it's your team (Like Nacho Sim or BDL for those who know). You want to be the Arizona Cardinals while I'm the Little Rock Lot Lizards? Cool. Doesn't matter. 

I personally think the best idea is to "fantasy draft" from the rosters of the entire NFL, start to finish. We're planning on doing this league for years to come, what's a solid 10-14 days of drafting to get your roster built? A lot of fun IMO. But I'd be fine too with, for example, we each pick 1-2 offensive and 1-2 defensive players from our favorite real life team, then fantasy draft the rest. Not sure what secondary fans get to do, if say we end up with two guys participating who are both fans of let's say Pittsburgh. Then what? That's part of what's keeping me from signing on for this startup method whole heartedly. We can debate later.

FORMATIONS/STRATEGY/SLIDERS: As Mike previously mentioned, this part would be built a bit like the Nacho sim league. For those new to the idea, the built in Sim would have rankings for every player based on a combination of potential, recent production, the system they are inserted into, and possibly a large portion from how they play that week. You can set your defense to play more aggressive each work, or more conservative. Set them to play a 3-4 base, or a 4-3 base. The Sim will combine all that info and "Simulate" a victor in that week's game. Once it's all automated, it's always fair, because we're all playing within the same structure. It could be mostly based on the players real life recent performance, so the idea is simply to sign/draft the best Real life players to construct your roster.

SALARY CAP: Here is where I want to get creative. I kind of like what BDL has set up for this. The cap is based loosely on the real life salary cap. But in BDL they take 3 digits off the end, to keep things simpler?? At the least it's always slightly quicker to type. So instead of a guy being $3,250,000, he's only $3,250. I start with that premise and then borrow from an old version of Madden for the fantasy draft. So as a hypothetical, the salary cap is $200,000 and here's my roster after a fantasy draft:

Josh Allen (my first round pick) $15,000 APY on 5 year deal

Joey Bosa (2nd round pick) $12,000 APY on 4 year deal

Tee Higgins (3rd) $10,000 APY on 4 year deal

Next 11 guys drafted are between $4,000-$10,000 APY (whatever # we decide works), each on 3 year deals

Next 11 guys are all 2 year deals (something less than $4,000 APY

Last 4-10 guys, whatever roster size we decide works are all in last year of their  deal for $1,000 APY

Nothing in here is exactly what it HAS TO BE. But just to give you an idea what I'm aiming for. We could have more guys on 5 year deals, or more on 4, we'll argue that out later. 

We set the roster size we agree on, then work the draft figures out so we all have $5,000 in remaining cap space after the startup fantasy draft. 

OFFSEASON (ERFA/RFA): We can do EXACTLY like real life, and adjust with the NFL salary cap using their figures. Year 2 before our first draft we have to tag our players that are eligible for these tags in real life, or let them become free agents. Leave time just like real life for teams to 

OFFSEASON (Free Agency): This part is all TCMD. I love the blind bidding. I personally think with a built in team salary cap and a dynasty style format like real life where our actions have consequences and guaranteed money hurts us down the road it's up to us to manage our salary cap and we can do away completely with "Players APY demands". The price becomes simply what the market will bare, or the highest a team is willing to go. I think we should build in a formula where the most money is LIKELY to win the bid, or a combination of the most money and the most guaranteed money/longest contract, etc. We can make it 1000% transparent what is helping the players choose one deal over another, or we can leave a little mystery. We can debate that more later. 

OFFSEASON (Draft): Again, call it TCMD. The structure is simple enough. Like real life draft the worst team from the year before picks 1st, previous year's winner picks last, etc., no snaking. In inaugural season we all start with 7 draft picks, just like real life. 

OFFSEASON (Very Interesting Curveball): Ala BDL rules, we can have our draft before the real life NFL draft. It means our other fantasy football leagues don't get in our way time wise. It means your player projections become all the more important. I'm a big draft nut, so I love this feature. Not sure how everyone else would feel about it. 

Did I completely miss any important dates or issues Mike? Should we include coaches? 

I heavily dislike the removing last three digits. There's little time saved and it looks less realistic imo. Ideal is 32 teams and they are the 32 teams. Using IRL cap limits is a huge strategy boon. If it's 16 teams your drafts are going to be silly. It's not hard to get a QB if it's a 16 team league. It'll be fun, but TCMD has always felt realistic in a way. I would want realism preserved personally. Replacing GMs for real teams wouldnt be that that hard, and worse case scenario the "league" could own GM-less teams where we vote on FA/Draft selections until an active GM can take it over. The biggest pain is going to be contracts for future years, void year things, restructures, below market extensions, and all of the tricks. A lot of people may dig some crazy holes three years down the line.

• Like 1