Who was the best NFL head coach to never win a title while a head coach?

zgrande

Who was the best NFL head coach to never win a title while a head coach?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best NFL head coach to never win a title while a head coach?

• George Allen
    • Don Coryell
    • Bud Grant
    • Dennis Green
    • Chuck Knox
    • Marv Levy
    • Marty Schottenheimer
    • Other (add name in comments)

With the passing of Bud Grant, I wondered: Who do you think is the best NFL coach that has never won a championship?

A few rules: 

1)    Must have been an NFL head coach for at least 10 years

2)    Is not an active head coach

3)    Limited to the modern era

1 hour ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Well this wasn't the best way to find out that Bud Grant died. R.I.P. In regards to the question, probably Schottenheimer. If it wasn't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all.

Schotty's biggest problem was his stubborness and being WAAAAAAAAY too conservative for most of his career.

10 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Schotty's biggest problem was his stubborness and being WAAAAAAAAY too conservative for most of his career.

He was so scared of losing in big games that all he could do was coach as conservative as possible. He didn't understand that in order to not lose a playoff game, you have to WIN it.

7 hours ago, biggie. said:

True but he has never has a break in his career in the playoffs...I mean,I've seen a stats in the past that his offense had 15 fumbles in the playoffs and his team never recovered one when usual it's 50-50 in his situations

So unlucky!

If the chargers player in defense don't fumble against the pats in 2006, Marty is a HOF since I believe the chargers would have won the super bowl and that would have helped his chances a lot and he probably would have stayed a few more years with that team so he would have added to his resume

Bud grant and Marv levy are seen in this different tier than someone like Dan reeves even though they all went to 4 superbowls and lost. 

I woukd argue that the 98 Falcons is a better coaching job than then any of their Super Bowl runs 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

For me, its Schottenheimer. He had two losing seasons in 21 years and one of them was a 7-9 record. 

Marty would take over an absolute garbage fire of a team and have them respectable, if not in the playoffs, in the first year. 

Whatever his flaws, the man could come in and immediately make the players perform better. 

59 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Bud grant and Marv levy are seen in this different tier than someone like Dan reeves even though they all went to 4 superbowls and lost. 

I woukd argue that the 98 Falcons is a better coaching job than then any of their Super Bowl runs 

"He made Chris Chandler look like an MVP" is a pretty great bullet point his coaching resume. 

Reeves should be in HOF, IMO - solid role player, key assistant on those 70s Dallas squads, 200 wins + 4 SBs as HC.