Bears Offseason Tracker

WindyCity

14 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

I think Borom can be a good backup G/T.  It doesn't cost much to keep him.  If he can come in now/then to push for 1 yard and 1st down, it's a plus.

Onthe otherhand,  Leatherwood hasn't done much lolz😁

Leatherwood has been terrible. 

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Leatherwood has been terrible. 

He’ll almost surely get a chance to compete this offseason. His contract is fully guaranteed. ZERO assurances though, and he’s competing for a depth spot at most which is where he belongs if anywhere. I’m fine with the pedigree trying to add depth, but he’s got to earn it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bears media posted this a couple days ago  Fields to Moore

I gotta say, this clip isn't nearly the "win" the media dept thinks it is.

1. He pats the ball before the throw

2. His throwing motion has the ball dropping down, then winding back before coming back forward

3. His front leg appears to cross behind his back leg on the drop back (might just be the camera angle)

But all three of those things are issues that a QB coach should be working on, and I'm really annoyed any of them, let alone ALL of them are still issues going into year 3.

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Bears media posted this a couple days ago  Fields to Moore

I gotta say, this clip isn't nearly the "win" the media dept thinks it is.

2. His throwing motion has the ball dropping down, then winding back before coming back forward

3. His front leg appears to cross behind his back leg on the drop back (might just be the camera angle)

But all three of those things are issues that a QB coach should be working on, and I'm really annoyed any of them, let alone ALL of them are still issues going into year 3.

I think you are reading way too much into this man…this isn’t even a rep…it’s two guys warming up…no QB in the league is perfect every time they throw the ball in practice…

Also can we finally put this nonsense about patting the ball to bed? A ton of QBs around the league pat the ball.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

Not an issue as long as he is still on time (its an old fogie complaint)

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

I dont see a loop, like at all, so no complaint here. Not every motion is exactly the same. But again its all about quickness, and Im not sure theres anything in that motion to make it faster

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

It seems fine to me, hes also one of the most athletic QBs in the league, he is able to do things your "standard" QBs arent. Hes not Kirk Cousins back there.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:46 AM, Madmike90 said:

I think you are reading way too much into this man…this isn’t even a rep…it’s two guys warming up…no QB in the league is perfect every time they throw the ball in practice…

Also can we finally put this nonsense about patting the ball to bed? A ton of QBs around the league pat the ball.

You play how you practice. Not to bring back Nagy-isms but you really do have to "be maniacal" about the details.

22 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not an issue as long as he is still on time (its an old fogie complaint)

There's a reason the complaint exists.... you're tipping your intent to throw before you even start throwing. Any corner who sees that should  be immediately breaking on the route. Especially given his throwing motion itself has big windup and takes twice as long as it should.

I dont see a loop, like at all, so no complaint here. Not every motion is exactly the same. But again its all about quickness, and Im not sure theres anything in that motion to make it faster

The ball literally drops down and then back before getting launched forward. It isn't just that clip either. It's all over his tape.

It seems fine to me, hes also one of the most athletic QBs in the league, he is able to do things your "standard" QBs arent. Hes not Kirk Cousins back there.

The problem is that every time his feet cross he can't physically throw the ball, and would be off balance if there was pressure.

It's a combination of factors that make corners better against him than they should be, pressure against him better than it should be, disrupts his ability to throw a short/quick game, and likely the critical reasons he had among the longest time to throw stats in both college and the NFL.  It's a game of inches and fractions of a second can start adding up to big things.  I was pretty disappointed to see those same three flaws are literally ALL OVER his passing highlight film too from last year. It wasn't just the single clip.

This isn't to say he can't be successful without a good quick game.... but the lack of seemingly ANY mechanical development is very concerning.

Edited by Epyon

On 5/10/2023 at 6:46 AM, Madmike90 said:

Is this even a real clip? There haven’t been any actual team functions other than rookie minicamp since Moore was acquired. Fields and Moore wouldn’t have been in practice unis during rookie minicamp. Plus, the weather that weekend it was 70-80 degrees and these guys are in cold weather clothes. The trees look like fall too. 

47 minutes ago, Epyon said:

You play how you practice. Not to bring back Nagy-isms but you really do have to "be maniacal" about the details.

There's a reason the complaint exists.... you're tipping your intent to throw before you even start throwing. Any corner who sees that should  be immediately breaking on the route. Especially given his throwing motion itself has big windup and takes twice as long as it should.

The ball literally drops down and then back before getting launched forward. It isn't just that clip either. It's all over his tape.

The problem is that every time his feet cross he can't physically throw the ball, and would be off balance if there was pressure.

It's a combination of factors that make corners better against him than they should be, pressure against him better than it should be, disrupts his ability to throw a short/quick game, and likely the critical reasons he had among the longest time to throw stats in both college and the NFL.  It's a game of inches and fractions of a second can start adding up to big things.  I was pretty disappointed to see those same three flaws are literally ALL OVER his passing highlight film too from last year. It wasn't just the single clip.

This isn't to say he can't be successful without a good quick game.... but the lack of seemingly ANY mechanical development is very concerning.

My point is this isn’t even practice…it’s a warm up.

Edited by Madmike90

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

It's a combination of factors that make corners better against him than they should be, pressure against him better than it should be, disrupts his ability to throw a short/quick game, and likely the critical reasons he had among the longest time to throw stats in both college and the NFL.

Theres not much else I can say here other than I think you are completely wrong. He is not close to the same passer that he was in college. And you are making Mountains out of Molehills here.

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

The reason it exists is because old farts cant get over that what they once taught/were taught isnt true any longer. In reality it was never true. As long as he isnt hindered by his "need" to pat it or something its completely fine. If its throwing off his timing or ability to make a quick decision, then yes its a problem, other than that its just a comfort thing that PLENTY of QBs at every level of football do. Ive never seen Fields miss the timing of a throw because he had to go though some patting routine with the ball.

Aaron Rodgers pats the ball constantly, you want to tell me hes been doing it wrong his whole career?

And if a DB is able to do that, while also guessing the route that hes about to throw, then they are one of the best and kudos to them. But thats where looking off defenders, especially LBs and Safeties come in. 

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Sorry man, youre just flat out wrong here. In this clip the ball does not "drop" in any significant way. He turns the ball down for his wind up. but that is a comfort thing. He is holding it right at the numbers and then when he goes to throw, its still at his numbers. He is pulling the string straight back from where he has the ball secured during his drop back. The thing you dont want to see is a big loop where the ball heads toward the waist. Thats when you are messing up timing and taking too long to get the ball out. Has Fields done that in the past? Yea. Recently? Im sure he has, all QBs do when they are winding up to throw it deep and especially when on the move, but the key is to limit that. What you are seeing Justin do here is what is comfortable for him to get the ball into the throwing slot. Its also actually more protective to a rusher swatting at him from behind, because they cant get a clean shot at just the ball if they can hammer down. 

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Can he physically throw the ball if his feet are together? No. Its a myth that you can always be ready to throw the ball, atleast with any power. Do you want him to take drop backs like Bryce Young? Because that is something I would question (Bryce has to do it because he is so short) 

The only thing you shouldnt be doing is turning your hips there, it has absolutely nothing to do with crossing his feet over. Crossing your feet is actually way quicker and WAY more powerful in the dropback. You only get into trouble if you block your hips and cant see to your left (for a righty) and he isnt even close to that.

They teach some QBs not to cross them, because they are usually the least athletic/coordinated guys on the field. Justin is the complete opposite, he is most likely to be in the top 20% of athletes on the field at any given time. So he can use alot of that to his advantage and take what you are considering "shortcuts" but to him are every day normal/comfortable movements. There is actually a school of thought that the big crossover is better (assuming you can do it athletically) because if you are able to identify a free rusher (blitz/missed block) from the front side while dropping back, that its easier to spin out of it or juke them as you are already in youre athletic stance instead of the more awkward/off balance shuffle technique, but again, that is if you are an athlete back there, Which Justin is one of the best right now.

There are plenty of things that Justin needs to work on as a passer, better decision making, alittle more touch, getting better at taking what the defense gives him, scrambling to extend sometimes instead of tucking and running, But these 3 things you are trying to ding him for right here, are no more than nit picks because they arent the way you would do them/were taught. Every throwing motion is different or else we would see robots back there (and we have actually seen that the mechanical robots fail more than the rest) its all about limiting issues, and nothing you are pointing out here is an actual issue for Justin in the pocket.

• Like 1

Hopefully a pass rusher…more than likely in FA I would think…that said I would be happy to move the Eagles 4th for a vet edge player as well if the right one comes available…let’s be honest they are the class of the NFC this year and that pick is going to be extremely late in the round…using it to add help now wouldn’t be a bad thing…

If there is an Amari Cooper type talent at Edge out there that would be really handy 😂

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Hopefully a pass rusher…more than likely in FA I would think…that said I would be happy to move the Eagles 4th for a vet edge player as well if the right one comes available…let’s be honest they are the class of the NFC this year and that pick is going to be extremely late in the round…using it to add help now wouldn’t be a bad thing…

If there is an Amari Cooper type talent at Edge out there that would be really handy 😂

Just having that pick banked makes it easier for us to be comfortable moving our own 4 too. 

On 5/11/2023 at 9:27 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Ive never seen Fields miss the timing of a throw because he had to go though some patting routine with the ball.

Fields has missed plenty of throws because of timing. It's part of the reason our offense is still putting up 1980s stats. Patting the ball is just one small potential contributing factor in that. His slow wind up/release and footwork are larger issues.

On 5/11/2023 at 9:27 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Aaron Rodgers pats the ball constantly, you want to tell me hes been doing it wrong his whole career?

Yes. Being a HoF level talent despite a bad habit doesn't make the habit suddenly a good thing. His QB coach should be on him about it (or should HAVE been at least, at this point in his career it's probably way to late to change him)

I'd add, the assertion that Fields is even remotely comparable to Rodgers as a passer beyond ridiculous.... They aren't even the same species of passer right now. Rodgers is a long time veteran, with HoF level talent that's been proven on the field, who is also nearing retirement. He's frankly earned the right to have a bad habit or two, since he's already proven that he's good enough to get away with it.  Fields is guy nearing his last chance to prove he can actually play QB a the NFL level.... The only things on the field that he's proven so far is that he'd probably be an exceptional running back.

I'd add, Rodgers has consistently had one of the fastest release times in the league..... Fields has consistently had one of the worst.  Which one of those do you think can afford to waste a few fractions of a second patting the ball?

• Like 1