The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

8 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

This is my thought, as well.  They're pursuing Stanton with everything they've got.  But I'm sure they've got backup plans in place, as well.  And one has to think that their conversations with Miami's FO have given our FO a sense of what they're looking for.  Maybe it's just a general sense of which Cardinals prospects they like.  Maybe they've actually had talks about what it might take to land Ozuna or Yelich.  Either way, we've got options with them.

I'll be honest, I think the odds of landing Yelich are next to zero.  He's about as close to untouchable as it gets IMO.  He's got 4 years, $44.5M left on his deal assuming the TO doesn't get picked up and is coming off back-to-back 4.5 WAR seasons.  Ozuna on he other hand is going into his second year of arbitration and projected to make $10.9M compared to the $7M for Yelich.  He's averaged 3.7 WAR over the last two years.  Yelich played almost exclusively in CF, while Ozuna played almost exclusively in LF.

50 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

If we can’t get Stanton(looking more and more like we won’t), bring me Ozuna and then do a trade with TB for Colome and Longoria. Kind of hesistant on Longoria though. 

I was initially rather skeptical when rams said that the Rays would likely be looking at a salary dump for him.  I'm not sure that's the case, but it won't cost a ton IMO.  The brunt of what they'd be paying for would be a Colome package.  I don't think a Longoria/Ozuna 3/4 really changes the complexion of the offense, but it's certainly a start.

This was the tweet I was looking for the other day.  Maybe it's just speculation, but based on Morosi's twee that means the Cardinals currently have him slotted in the rotation.  That means they have Carlos Martinez, Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver, Jack Flaherty, and now Miles Mikolas as rotation options.  Obviously, they could move someone but that's a possibility that could happen.

I just saw on reddit that Mish just said on a twitter livestream that neither the Cards and Giants were on the list of teams Stanton would accept a trade to.

Granted, this might be wrong. It could be interpreted that he originally didn’t want to go to either until he saw that they were the only offers. Or perhaps he just blue balled us both.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I was initially rather skeptical when rams said that the Rays would likely be looking at a salary dump for him.  I'm not sure that's the case, but it won't cost a ton IMO.  The brunt of what they'd be paying for would be a Colome package.  I don't think a Longoria/Ozuna 3/4 really changes the complexion of the offense, but it's certainly a start.

Not gonna lie guys, Longoria does nothing for me. He's definitely got the star power name and he was an absolute monster his first 6 years in the league, but if you dig into the numbers he's been a slightly above average hitter 3 of the last 4 years (2016 being the out-liar) and not much better defensively than what Gyorko was in 2017. Plus, he's on the wrong side of his career at 32 and would be on the payroll through 2022...

I get taking that contract on to lessen our prospect return to TB in a package deal for either Colome or Archer/Odorizzi , but to think we'd be getting a MOTO bat attached to that contract would be a gamble at best...

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

This was the tweet I was looking for the other day.  Maybe it's just speculation, but based on Morosi's twee that means the Cardinals currently have him slotted in the rotation.  That means they have Carlos Martinez, Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver, Jack Flaherty, and now Miles Mikolas as rotation options.  Obviously, they could move someone but that's a possibility that could happen.

I actually heard from DGoold that Cards wanted to sign Mikolas to a longer term deal, but Mikolas didn't want to. He wanted ability to hit the FA market again at 31. Cards truely like what he offers and I fully expect him to be inserted into the rotation...

I doubt Jack Flaherty is being considered for a rotation spot in 2018. He needs another year of seasoning at Memphis to improve his command, he really struggled with that up here...

Mo was on KMOX yesterday afternoon live from BP village. Here is a summary of the interview with him from DGoold.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/mozeliak-preaches-patience-as-stanton-saga-drags-on/article_312ed205-d63a-5d5c-a74d-ae245a53bf36.html

I went back and listened to the interview and I'll add a statement from Mo I heard that was left out, which I found encouraging:

There's a 3 hour rules meeting next Wednesday night at the Winter meetings, and that he hopes we have a lot of things accomplished BEFORE that meeting.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I actually heard from DGoold that Cards wanted to sign Mikolas to a longer term deal, but Mikolas didn't want to. He wanted ability to hit the FA market again at 31. Cards truely like what he offers and I fully expect him to be inserted into the rotation...

I doubt Jack Flaherty is being considered for a rotation spot in 2018. He needs another year of seasoning at Memphis to improve his command, he really struggled with that up here...

That says a lot about how much they like him.  I hope they're right.

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think a Longoria/Ozuna 3/4 really changes the complexion of the offense, but it's certainly a start.

Im very curious to why you dont think that would change our Lineup? I dont think we have any hitter on the roster like Ozuna. And while the legend of Longoria is larger than the actual production, he is still a bonafide MOTO Bat. 

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Sounds like the Cardinals have had some discussion with the Athletics about a Stephen Piscotty trade if a Stanton trade goes through.  Also says they could still do that deal even if a deal for Stanton isn't completed.

For..... prospects I guess?

I think we've all kind of known Piscotty is going to be shipped out sooner rather than later. Hope we get something useful out of him.

Yeah, I just saw that about Piscotty, too.  What I saw didn't just say the A's were interested, but also that the Cardinals were looking at possibilities of trading him to the Bay Area.  I'm assuming that has something to do with the situation with his mom.  

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im very curious to why you dont think that would change our Lineup? I dont think we have any hitter on the roster like Ozuna. And while the legend of Longoria is larger than the actual production, he is still a bonafide MOTO Bat. 

I mean, I probably misspoke when I said that.  I just feel like we're a bat short of really having a great lineup.  Right now, we're looking like:

1B Matt Carpenter
CF Tommy Pham
LF Marcell Ozuna
3B Evan Longoria
CF Dexter Fowler
SS Paul DeJong
C Yadier Molina
2B Kolten Wong

The problem is the only "upgradeable" place is 1B.  I'd LOVE to get Abreu and slot him ahead of Ozuna, and that'd be a great offensive lineup.  Unfortunately, the White Sox would want a fortune for him, and he's getting expensive.

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

For..... prospects I guess?

I think we've all kind of known Piscotty is going to be shipped out sooner rather than later. Hope we get something useful out of him.

I'm just skeptical that the Cardinals will get fair value for him.  Probably won't get any great packages back.

1 minute ago, tttmikeb said:

Yeah, I just saw that about Piscotty, too.  What I saw didn't just say the A's were interested, but also that the Cardinals were looking at possibilities of trading him to the Bay Area.  I'm assuming that has something to do with the situation with his mom.  

Maybe when Stanton signs with San Fran we can trade him for Piscotty straight up :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tttmikeb said:

Presumably so.  IF the Giants end up landing Stanton, they're probably not acquiring Piscotty as well.  Their farm system is barren and they'd be looking to compete, so they really don't have anything to move.

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is the only "upgradeable" place is 1B.  I'd LOVE to get Abreu and slot him ahead of Ozuna, and that'd be a great offensive lineup.  Unfortunately, the White Sox would want a fortune for him, and he's getting expensive.

I do agree that one more bat to that lineup would be ideal. And honestly, if we found a 1B bat we really want, we would go for it, and then deal either Carpenter or Wong. Im not sure Mo is attached to either one of them, and would probably be more willing to move Wong to a team that is looking for young/controlled talent.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?