The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Hummel made a great point in his chat, you're really trading for 3 years of Stanton, because the likelihood that he opts out of his deal after the 2020 season is extremely high, unless he just absolutely is trash during those 3 years. So you have to look at the contract as a 3 yr/$80 million dollar deal. 

5 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Seems to change everyday between us and the Giants. Like the rest of you, I just want this Stanton thing resolved so we can get on with the rest of the offseason. Seems to be holding everything else up. 

If the rumored return the Marlins are willing to accept is true, and the Giants lose Stanton based on money haggling, they're idiotic. At this point, you've already committed yourself to going down this road. I feel like haggling over money (which may not have to be paid since Stanton could theoretically opt out in a couple of years, though I'm not sure if that's likely or not) when you're only giving up Panik / Beede / Shaw (the last of whom isn't needed with the acquisition of Stanton and completely blocked for the immediate future) is asinine. That's a super light return for someone like Stanton. 

12 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think we're going to land Stanton. 

At this point, I'm pretty much checked out.  If we come up short again, I'm going to be more than a bit irritated.  At some point, we need to accomplish what we set out to do.  We were second in terms of re-signing Jason Heyward and signing David Price.  Fortunately, that seems to have worked out best for us.  But I don't want to see the Cardinals get stuck in no man's land where they're not good enough to win a championship, but not bad enough to be able to draft potential impact talent.  Right now, we really don't have any blue chip players outside of Carlos Martinez.

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Hummel made a great point in his chat, you're really trading for 3 years of Stanton, because the likelihood that he opts out of his deal after the 2020 season is extremely high, unless he just absolutely is trash during those 3 years. So you have to look at the contract as a 3 yr/$80 million dollar deal. 

Except you can't really operate under that assumption, because if he does struggle or fail you've essentially sunk $30M of your payroll over the next decade into someone whose a non-contributor.  I mean, look at Ryan Howard in his final years with Philadelphia.  He signed his mega-extension back in April 2010, and he averaged -0.5 WAR over the life that contract.  That's a deal breaker.