The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

43 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Apparently played in majors 3 years ago and was a failure. Been in Japan the past couple of seasons and has been one of the best pitchers over there.... Seems like a back of the rotation kind of guy.

Wonder if this move has anything to do with the interest in Wacha?

25 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im starting to think we may be looking into an Ozuna trade, and centering the pieces alittle differently.

Still think Stanton is priority, but I think we actually are keeping the lines open with the Marlins for Ozuna/Yelich should Stanton NTC us. May already have alternate deal in place, just waiting for decision to drop...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Don’t know about anyone else but this looks like a trash offer.

It's actually the Giants best offer of the ones that have been reported. Ramos, Beede and Arroyo are there 1,2,3 prospects...

Still think we'd be able to top any offer if Stanton agreed to waive the NTC...

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Wonder if this move has anything to do with the interest in Wacha?

Possibly.  My initial thoughts on the signing was that it was an overpay for a LR.  But if they're planning on him being in the rotation, then it makes sense and probably better than going out and splurging on Arrieta or Darvish.  Don't think he really pushes the needle, and that FanGraph article saying he could be a #2 is generous IMO.

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Don’t know about anyone else but this looks like a trash offer.

It's probably the best they can do.  Overall, the Giants simply don't have the prospects to put together an appealing package.  And unlike the Cardinals, they're hoping the geographical location is enough to draw them.  Christian Arroyo is considered their best prospect, but I'm not overly fond of him.  Don't really have an obvious comparison for him, maybe Harrison Bader although there's clearly a positional difference since Arroyo is a SS/3B, where as Bader is a CF.  I don't like Shaw, and he's a pure 1B and given the lack of commitment the Cardinals have gone with in the draft to 1B there isn't an obvious comp there.  Heliot Ramos is clearly the best prospect of the bunch, but he's really, really raw.  He's got more power than Magneuris Sierra, but Sierra is further along the developmental curve.   Tyler Beede is garbage, and honestly I'd probably take Dakota Hudson over him.

Why would Stanton want to go to the Giants? No disrespect to that organization, but their farm system is one of the worst in the league, and will get even more depleted if the Giants send all those guys to Miami....If Stanton is serious about winning, Cardinals offer him a better opportunity to do that. Giants are about to go into full rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Why would Stanton want to go to the Giants? No disrespect to that organization, but their farm system is one of the worst in the league, and will get even more depleted if the Giants send all those guys to Miami....If Stanton is serious about winning, Cardinals offer him a better opportunity to do that. Giants are about to go into full rebuild. 

Location.  It's about six hours from where he was born, although I'm not sure how much that has to do with it.  And I'd make the argument that the Giants have more "star power" than the Cardinals do.  Martinez > Bumgarner, Posey > Molina, etc.  I think it's closer than people make it out to be, but I think that his decision shows a LOT about where his priorities are.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Location.  It's about six hours from where he was born, although I'm not sure how much that has to do with it.  And I'd make the argument that the Giants have more "star power" than the Cardinals do.  Martinez > Bumgarner, Posey > Molina, etc.  I think it's closer than people make it out to be, but I think that his decision shows a LOT about where his priorities are.

I wouldn't downplay the fact that the Giants have a potential HOF manager too that players love to play for vs. what we have...

Also, Giants are in play for Ohtani as well, which Stanton might see as another star in that lineup potentially...

13 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I wouldn't downplay the fact that the Giants have a potential HOF manager too that players love to play for vs. what we have...

Also, Giants are in play for Ohtani as well, which Stanton might see as another star in that lineup potentially...

Good points.  Plus, the farm system probably isn't a huge factor for Stanton.  For one thing, I don't know how much players pay attention to that.  But second, he only has to play there (if he picks SF) for three years.  He could go there hoping to jump start a 3-year run with their current makeup, then opt out and go elsewhere.  Maybe even to his hometown Dodgers.

On the other hand, I'm curious...if he's so enamored with the Dodgers, supposedly wanting to play for the team he grew up rooting for, why would he want to play for their chief rivals?

21 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Still think Stanton is priority, but I think we actually are keeping the lines open with the Marlins for Ozuna/Yelich should Stanton NTC us. May already have alternate deal in place, just waiting for decision to drop...

This is my thought, as well.  They're pursuing Stanton with everything they've got.  But I'm sure they've got backup plans in place, as well.  And one has to think that their conversations with Miami's FO have given our FO a sense of what they're looking for.  Maybe it's just a general sense of which Cardinals prospects they like.  Maybe they've actually had talks about what it might take to land Ozuna or Yelich.  Either way, we've got options with them.

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Possibly.  My initial thoughts on the signing was that it was an overpay for a LR.  But if they're planning on him being in the rotation, then it makes sense and probably better than going out and splurging on Arrieta or Darvish.  Don't think he really pushes the needle, and that FanGraph article saying he could be a #2 is generous IMO.

Agreed, I think they're overvaluing him there. I think he's a BOR potential with the ability to eat innings and have success expected from that spot in the rotation...

I saw somewhere where they compared him to  Colby Lewis (former Rangers pitcher) from 2010-2012. I think that's an excellent comparison and we should be looking for results like that if he's slotted into the rotation...