The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

55 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Sucks but I wasn’t the biggest Hicks fan. Who gets first nod now for closer role?

Guessing Carlos. If they are set on leaving him down in the bullpen. If Brebbia gets some much needed rest, he’d be a good choice. 

EDIT: Listened to a Moe interview from a few days ago and he suggested Gant would close if Hicks missed any time. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

46 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Genesis Cabrera sent down. Hicks obviously to IL......Dominic Leone and Ponce called up. 

Well, I’m glad Ponce is back. Hopefully Leone can get back to what he was at the beginning of the year. Also, I could really see Fernandez come up. Hicks will hit the 60 day which will open a spot for him. 

What’s everyone want to do at the deadline? And yes I realize we’re still a month out. 

I obviously want a starter. Stroman or hell if Bauer did become available I’d probably be ok making anyone not named Gorman (prospect-wise) available for him. 

@kgarrett12486 mentioned Matt Boyd a page or so back. I’d be fine with that. But he’s having a career year and controlled for multiple seasons after this one, so the cost might be pretty high. 

18 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Trejyn Fletcher off to a nice start down in the GCL...

5/10 (.500 BA) with a Double and homer. 

Good article on him...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stlsportspage.com/2019/06/24/scouting-persistence-helped-cardinals-land-trejyn-fletcher-with-what-might-become-the-steal-of-the-draft/amp/

We might be looking at a really crazy core in a few years. Gorman, Nunez, Montero, Carlson, and Fletcher. That could be a really fun offensive team. I know it isn't likely that all will reach their peaks, but it is fun to think about. 

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

What’s everyone want to do at the deadline? And yes I realize we’re still a month out. 

I obviously want a starter. Stroman or hell if Bauer did become available I’d probably be ok making anyone not named Gorman (prospect-wise) available for him. 

@kgarrett12486 mentioned Matt Boyd a page or so back. I’d be fine with that. But he’s having a career year and controlled for multiple seasons after this one, so the cost might be pretty high. 

Mike Minor would be a nice move, IMO. With the caveat that we don't give up a ton for him. I know he seems to be trending upward, but he's already 31. He is controlled through next season too. Hard to value him. 

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I know I love looking forward to this as much as the rest of you. but sadly, like my earlier comment, I dont see us doing anything crazy this deadline.

We dont have anywhere to put a bat at this point. And our BP has come together alittle bit, even with losing Hicks. Sure we could add someone, but we arent "on the verge" of a championship that its really worth giving much up for another guy at this point.

Obvious spot to improve is the Rotation, and now if they are seriously going to leave Carlos as the "Closer" then we lose that infusion that would should have been getting after the ASB. Unfortunately I think many are going to connect us to Bumgarner, even though I think hes more washed than many want to admit. And since hes a "face of the franchise" guy, the Giants are going to need him pried away. Pass on that.

Just dont see a magic fix out there while this team continues to be middling 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?