The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

22 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Some rumors going around....

apparently the Bluejays sent some scouts to Springfield for last nights game. And before he got hurt, the Cardinals had interest in Zack Wheeler. 

I really hope we’re not thinking of sending Carlson out. I guess it would be for Stroman? 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Some rumblings that the Cardinals could listen to offers on Tyler O'Neill, Lane Thomas, and Carlos Martinez.  I don't honestly expect them to be dealt.

Are these periphery guys? STL is 2.5 out of the division lead and .05 out of the WC. Not sure why they'd be sellers.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Are these periphery guys? STL is 2.5 out of the division lead and .05 out of the WC. Not sure why they'd be sellers.

Lane Thomas probably is.  I think they'd want to move him for something a bit better long-term.  O'Neill is their 4th OF especially since they keep giving Dexter Fowler ABs.  Right now, Harrison Bader's defense is keeping him in the lineup despite being Peter Bourjos bad at the plate.  Marcell Ozuna is clearly playing for his next contract, and quite frankly I'm not sure I want to be the team that hands out that contract.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Some rumblings that the Cardinals could listen to offers on Tyler O'Neill, Lane Thomas, and Carlos Martinez.  I don't honestly expect them to be dealt.

The only one where it would make sense is Lane Thomas. But he’s more of a secondary piece in a deal. 

Im going to be pretty upset if we trade Carlos. Just doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

I think we will probably do a little buying and selling. I wouldn't mind to trade O'Neil, his value is high and we still have crowded OF, but if we don't it's not the end of the world. The key priority for the offseason is to get out of Fowler's deal. We need to at least see what Randy A and Adolis Garcia can do. Carlson is probably going to be vying for a starting spot next ST too. Bader - Randy - Adolis - Carlson - Maybe O'Neil. We should try to move JoMart, maybe Wong if someone gives us something decent, of course Wacha, Lane Thomas could all go. I know it will be hard to find suitors for some of those guys. I think we should try to swing for a starter, but the best bet is probably to keep it pretty much the same and hope to catch fire and make some noise.

Also, don't look now but Terry Fuller has been moving up a little in the minors. He completely fell off the radar last year, but he has some freakish raw tools and he's only 20. He's playing for State College now and he's only played a few games but he's tearing the cover off the ball. He might be someone to keep an eye on for the more distant future, 3-4 years.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we will probably do a little buying and selling. I wouldn't mind to trade O'Neil, his value is high and we still have crowded OF, but if we don't it's not the end of the world. The key priority for the offseason is to get out of Fowler's deal. We need to at least see what Randy A and Adolis Garcia can do. Carlson is probably going to be vying for a starting spot next ST too. Bader - Randy - Adolis - Carlson - Maybe O'Neil. We should try to move JoMart, maybe Wong if someone gives us something decent, of course Wacha, Lane Thomas could all go. I know it will be hard to find suitors for some of those guys. I think we should try to swing for a starter, but the best bet is probably to keep it pretty much the same and hope to catch fire and make some noise.

O’Neil’s potential is exciting, I wouldn’t really be looking to move him. And that Dex contract is almost going to be impossible to dump. 

Shout out to @StLunatic88 I think He was the only one on this forum that wasn’t bashing Ozuna lol, it’ll be interesting to see what the Cardinals do with him this offseason. Would Ozuna be looking for a long-term deal or a prove-it type deal considering he’s been dealing with injuries for the past 2 years. I’d bet he gets a multi-year deal somewhere and I doubt it’s from the Cardinals. 

Randy excites me kind of like Mercado did last year, and I think Arozarena has more potential than Mercado. I definitely agree, he needs his chance. Adolis doesn’t excite me nearly as much, I think He’s more a AAA/AAAA type player. His 22 HR and 70 RBI stat line at Memphis are sexy, but everything else is pretty garbage....

3.2 walk-rate, 31.2 K-rate, .241 BA, .287 OBP. 77 wRC+ 

That’s pretty gross. 

Would love for the team to trade Jose Martinez and Wacha. Think Martinez would be easier to trade since it wouldn’t just be a 3 month rental. And his salary isn’t bad at all for the next 2 years. 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Also, don't look now but Terry Fuller has been moving up a little in the minors. He completely fell off the radar last year, but he has some freakish raw tools and he's only 20. He's playing for State College now and he's only played a few games but he's tearing the cover off the ball. He might be someone to keep an eye on for the more distant future, 3-4 years.

Hopefully he continues hitting well there. I want To see him in Peoria (Low-A) next year. It’s crazy to me that he starts some games in Center. Dude is massive. 

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Im going to be pretty upset if we trade Carlos. Just doesn’t make sense.

I'd consider it if the right package came around.  Putting the sentimental value he has behind us, he's been roughly a ~3 WAR pitcher prior to the last two years when he has dealt with injuries.  He hasn't started a single game this year.  Beyond this year, he's due an additional 2 years, $24.4M and could max out at 4 years, $58.4M.  Unless he can get back into the rotation and put up 3 WAR/year, I'm not sure how much he's going to be worth that.  Not a whole lot of surplus value if he continues to produce at the same rate he has in the bullpen.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'd consider it if the right package came around.  Putting the sentimental value he has behind us, he's been roughly a ~3 WAR pitcher prior to the last two years when he has dealt with injuries.  He hasn't started a single game this year.  Beyond this year, he's due an additional 2 years, $24.4M and could max out at 4 years, $58.4M.  Unless he can get back into the rotation and put up 3 WAR/year, I'm not sure how much he's going to be worth that.  Not a whole lot of surplus value if he continues to produce at the same rate he has in the bullpen.

He should be in the rotation right now. No doubt he’s in there next year. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?