The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

“Don’t expect Walker to be Pujols. Nobody starts a career that awesomely.”

Walker casually goes out and ties Ted Williams for longest hot streak to start a career lmao

This is not a call out to anyone. Just pointing out how crazy Walker has looked. This kid’s a stud. 

I mean, we've got a ridiculously small sample size to judge him off thus far.  He hasn't walked even once yet.

Hoping Flaherty can find the control on his FB here soon. He's gotten away with not having it on the surface level so far, but you're not gonna get away with a 2/1 walk to K ration like he has right now.

His stuff looked really good  and his velocity was back-up his last time out, but he just cannot find the zone with the FB right now. Guys know this too and are just taking it and then laying off his chase pitch (slider).

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, we've got a ridiculously small sample size to judge him off thus far.  He hasn't walked even once yet.

True, but it's definitely fair to believe he's the guy we're all expecting him to be. Even a lot of his outs and hit crazy hard right to the defender. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

When it rains it pours. Nothing going right for this team right now. 

For sure. Talk about a wet blanket to start the season. I was really excited about this team's potential. They've really dampened that down. I know it's a long season and all so I'm not writing the season off. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

For sure. Talk about a wet blanket to start the season. I was really excited about this team's potential. They've really dampened that down. I know it's a long season and all so I'm not writing the season off. 

Fo sure. We all knew the SP pitching was going to be a roller coaster, but even I didn't think it'd be this bad (1 QS in 10 games). At least thought the offense would keep us in the games, but they've disappointed as well thus far with consistency.

Need the next 2 here in Colorado and then use that Pittsburgh series as a get right to build confidence. 

Edited by kgarrett12486
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Do we trust any starting pitcher right now? Maybe Monty? Mikolas looks like dog ****. Matz is still garbage(shocker). Flaherty is a walk machine but not completely pathetic. And Woodford…. 😂 

We got 6 SPs though.

Just Mony. I'm only allowing myself to bet on us when he's going. 

I don't have any faith in Oli either. Feels like he leaves guys just too long and always puts the wrong guys in. I wanted to like him but I'm not getting the vibe that he's willing to learn from his mistakes. 

Huge come from behind win last night and the spark this team needed to get going hopefully.

Oh and love the Walker's approach. He's not trying to do too much, he's just taking what the pitcher gives him and lacing singles and when he gets a pitch to drive hes done it more often than not. Not somethig you see too often from rookies. They usually try to swing out of their shoes or don't alter their approach.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Huge come from behind win last night and the spark this team needed to get going hopefully.

Oh and love the Walker's approach. He's not trying to do too much, he's just taking what the pitcher gives him and lacing singles and when he gets a pitch to drive hes done it more often than not. Not somethig you see too often from rookies. They usually try to swing out of their shoes or don't alter their approach.

It's exciting to see his crazy high exit velo and his terrible launch angle. Once he gets more comfortable and starts getting some lift on his hits, we're going to see some bombs. 

Liberatore with another solid start tonight for Memphis….

7.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, 10 K

On the season now….

3-0, 1.06 ERA, 17 IP, 10 hits, 2 earned runs, 7 walks, 24 Ks 

And apparently he’s been around 96-97 MPH with his FB and 95+ with his sinker. Last year I’m pretty sure he was low 90s with both pitches. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

And apparently he’s been around 96-97 MPH with his FB and 95+ with his sinker. Last year I’m pretty sure he was low 90s with both pitches. 

FanGraphs had his FB at 94 MPH and his sinker at 93 MPH last year.  And I think the bigger concern was the dropoff in velocity as the season wore on.

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Liberatore with another solid start tonight for Memphis….

7.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, 10 K

On the season now….

3-0, 1.06 ERA, 17 IP, 10 hits, 2 earned runs, 7 walks, 24 Ks 

He's also throwing his curve at higher rate and while ahead in the count, which is his strikeout pitch. 

Wouln't shock me to see them give him a start here soon over Woodford. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?