The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I don't think the Cardinals have much if any interest in Odorizzi with the signing of Miles Mikolas.  If they're going to bring in another SP, it's going to be someone whose going to significantly improve the Cardinals' rotation.  Not just give them another meh option.

And it's Josh Donaldson. :wink:

I think you're undervaluing Jake Odorizzi, especially from the Cardinals vantage point. They've always thought highly of him. While I don't think they view him as a #1 type (rightfully so), they could view him as a #2-3 which is valuable. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off, as local media is saying he's just as much in play as Archer...

I'm starting to get ancy with the TB deal. I know we've been trying to wear down the Blue Jays on Donaldson, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, as they want to compete and they legit think if they do they have a good chance to retain him as a FA...

I hope we don't wait this out too long and miss the opportunity w/ the Rays...

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Giants need to shed salary if they're going to acquire Longoria, which has to be a non-starter for the Rays.  Bob Nightengale pretty much already said that the Giants would need the Rays to take on Denard Span or Hunter Pence, which isn't happening.

While it's highly unlikely they can match up on a deal, it's not out of the realm of thinking for the Rays. Long is slated to make $13.5  million in 2018, while Pence is slated to make $18.5 million. So a difference of $5 million for 2018. 

However, if they took on Pence, he's off the books after 2018 whereas Longoria deal would still have $67.5 million to go. So they eat more in year one, but save $62.5 million moving forward...

It would be a smart baseball decision for 2019 and beyond. 

I still think they'd rather deal with us though and just have us eat his deal, or majority of it and get a better return package than anything Giants can really offer...

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Anyone have any opinion on the 2 prospects we got back from the A's? From what I've Heard/Read it sounds like Max Schrock is very similar to Daniel Descalso and Yairo Munoz is going to fill the void left by Aledmys Diaz in the organization. 

This was a good write-up on both

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2017/12/15/16779238/cardinals-athletics-trade-stephen-piscotty-yairo-munoz-max-schrock-marcell-ozuna-prospects

I think your assessments are pretty close though...

21 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Anyone have any opinion on the 2 prospects we got back from the A's? From what I've Heard/Read it sounds like Max Schrock is very similar to Daniel Descalso and Yairo Munoz is going to fill the void left by Aledmys Diaz in the organization. 

I mentioned it either on the last page or two.  Munoz is probably the more interesting of the two prospects.  He's got positional versatility as he started as a SS, but probably more of a 3B long-term which works well his arm strength.  Should hit enough to be an every day player, most of his question comes from how much power he actually will develop.  He ISO'd .216 in AA, but it regressed back closer to his career ISO when he posted a .125 ISO upon his promotion to AAA.  Doesn't really walk much, and not a big strike out guy either. Doesn't really offer much on the basepaths in terms of stealing bases.

As for Schrock, he's your classic no tools, all production players the Cardinals have gotten quite a bit of production out of him.  Unfortunately, he's limited defensively to 2B and not real great there.  Tools across the board are all average at best.

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think you're undervaluing Jake Odorizzi, especially from the Cardinals vantage point. They've always thought highly of him. While I don't think they view him as a #1 type (rightfully so), they could view him as a #2-3 which is valuable. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off, as local media is saying he's just as much in play as Archer...

I'm starting to get ancy with the TB deal. I know we've been trying to wear down the Blue Jays on Donaldson, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, as they want to compete and they legit think if they do they have a good chance to retain him as a FA...

I hope we don't wait this out too long and miss the opportunity w/ the Rays...

Maybe.  But he's also coming off a miserable year and threw less than 150 IP.  Honestly, the periphreals aren't very good.  He got insanely lucky with BABIP, and his HR/FB rate has gone up the past two years.  That's not really something I'm keen on.

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

As I said the other day in conversation w/ @CWood21 the Rays would be willing to take on Span or Pence contract upfront to relief themselves of financial ramifications of Longoria's deal long-term. surprised they took Span's deal over Pence though. Maybe Giants weren't dangling him though... 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?