The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

8 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

I was asking my brother (who knows A LOT more about baseball than I do) about Archer at our family Christmas gathering.  He said that in terms of overall skill & value (not necessarily specific skillset), Carlos Martinez is probably a good comp for Archer.  Would you guys agree with that?

I'd agree with that. but it's not like I watch Archer more than 2-3 starts a year. 

19 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

I was asking my brother (who knows A LOT more about baseball than I do) about Archer at our family Christmas gathering.  He said that in terms of overall skill & value (not necessarily specific skillset), Carlos Martinez is probably a good comp for Archer.  Would you guys agree with that?

That's a good comp. Just think about what it would take another team to get Carlos from us if he were available. That should tell you how valuable Archer is...

Also, look at Jose Quintana trade, as that's another good comp...

19 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Rockies are signing Wade Davis - 3 years/52 million.

Wow, I'm shocked...

More money than the Cardinals would likely be willing to pay.  Should get the reliever market going though.  Greg Holland is probably the next domino to fall.

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed, don't see us going that high, but I think that's the likely deal now...

I think it's Colome or bust now...

I wouldn't rule out Addison Reed.  Just seems like a Cardinals-like deal.  At this point, I think the Cardinals are pretty much holding their entire offseason in the hands of landing Josh Donaldson.  Seems like they're not in on J.D. Martinez at all, and they're not the market for a SP with Miles Mikolas signed.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't rule out Addison Reed.  Just seems like a Cardinals-like deal.  At this point, I think the Cardinals are pretty much holding their entire offseason in the hands of landing Josh Donaldson.  Seems like they're not in on J.D. Martinez at all, and they're not the market for a SP with Miles Mikolas signed.

That's what scares me.  I know he'd be a nice addition, but if we miss out on other improvements because we're waiting on a deal that's never going to happen, we're in trouble.

Just now, tttmikeb said:

That's what scares me.  I know he'd be a nice addition, but if we miss out on other improvements because we're waiting on a deal that's never going to happen, we're in trouble.

Meh.  This isn't really a good FA class for the Cardinals.  Right now, our OF is set with Ozuna, Pham, and Fowler which means the Cardinals have no real reason to get in a bidding war for J.D. Martinez.  If you're looking to improve the offense, you really only have Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer as potential upgrades.  And I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Moose is over Jedd Gyorko, especially once you take into consideration the contract that Moose will likely get.  As I've mentioned, they're not in the market for the SP which pretty much limits their FA to closers and Eric Hosmer.  And their interest in Hosmer seems soft at best.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Meh.  This isn't really a good FA class for the Cardinals.  Right now, our OF is set with Ozuna, Pham, and Fowler which means the Cardinals have no real reason to get in a bidding war for J.D. Martinez.  If you're looking to improve the offense, you really only have Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer as potential upgrades.  And I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Moose is over Jedd Gyorko, especially once you take into consideration the contract that Moose will likely get.  As I've mentioned, they're not in the market for the SP which pretty much limits their FA to closers and Eric Hosmer.  And their interest in Hosmer seems soft at best.

Sorry, I wasn't really referring just to FA hitter pursuits, but rather to any other potential moves.  I totally agree about the remaining FA options...not a great fit for this team.  I'm still hoping for a deal with Tampa for Colome and maybe Archer.  

Just now, tttmikeb said:

Sorry, I wasn't really referring just to FA hitter pursuits, but rather to any other potential moves.  I totally agree about the remaining FA options...not a great fit for this team.  I'm still hoping for a deal with Tampa for Colome and maybe Archer.  

Honestly, the market is pretty barren.  Adding that 2nd Wild Card really dampened the market, as teams feel they can sneak into the playoffs that way and anything can happen in the playoffs.

As for Archer, I wouldn't get my hopes up.  They're going to want a ton for him, and rightfully so.  I'd imagine they'd ask for Weaver and Flaherty and work from there.  And I think that's too big a price to pay even if he's worth that.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, the market is pretty barren.  Adding that 2nd Wild Card really dampened the market, as teams feel they can sneak into the playoffs that way and anything can happen in the playoffs.

As for Archer, I wouldn't get my hopes up.  They're going to want a ton for him, and rightfully so.  I'd imagine they'd ask for Weaver and Flaherty and work from there.  And I think that's too big a price to pay even if he's worth that.

I get it.  Would be a nice addition.  Colome would be an easier get and fill a bigger need.

15 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

I get it.  Would be a nice addition.  Colome would be an easier get and fill a bigger need.

The problem for me is the Cardinals are "heavy" with good, but not great prospects.  Outside of a healthy Alex Reyes, whose our most valuable prospect?  Most would probably say Jack Flaherty, some would say Carson Kelly, and there is probably some who feel that Tyler O'Neill is our best prospect.  We just lack that stud prospect.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The problem for me is the Cardinals are "heavy" with good, but not great prospects.  Outside of a healthy Alex Reyes, whose our most valuable prospect?  Most would probably say Jack Flaherty, some would say Carson Kelly, and there is probably some who feel that Tyler O'Neill is our best prospect.  We just lack that stud prospect.

Sounds a lot like the major league squad.