The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The problem for me is the Cardinals are "heavy" with good, but not great prospects.  Outside of a healthy Alex Reyes, whose our most valuable prospect?  Most would probably say Jack Flaherty, some would say Carson Kelly, and there is probably some who feel that Tyler O'Neill is our best prospect.  We just lack that stud prospect.

There are very few systems that have a true elite/can't miss prospect...

23 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

There are very few systems that have a true elite/can't miss prospect...

Wasn't really what I meant, probably poor wording on my part.  The Cardinals organization as a whole is built more on quantity rather than quality.  That's not saying we don't have any good prospects or players, but we're more of a cumulation of a bunch of 3 WAR players as opposed to a more star-built roster like say the Cubs.  I mean, does anyone think the Cardinals have a core position group that matches Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant?  No, but we also don't really have any blackholes in our lineup either.  You look at our farm system, and which guys outside of Alex Reyes do you feel like you have FOR starting potential or MOTO bat?  Honestly, I don't think there's a single one in there.  Sandy Alcantara had that kind of upside, but his lack of control and poor development of secondary pitches left it nothing more than projection.  Tyler O'Neill is probably the closest thing to a MOTO bat, and he's got significant holes in his swing.

I'm not buying this Eric Hosmer rumor. I know it just says we're still interested, but I don't see us coming anywhere close to his asking price. 

Reports state he has a seven year offer on the table from the Padres and that KC is willing to go 6 years. I don't see us going matching either of those...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm not buying this Eric Hosmer rumor.

I think we are actually in on just about everyone when it comes to the possibility of a short term deal.

I highly doubt we are offering any 7 year deals like SD or KC. But I would bet that we have offered him a short term option with relatively the same or higher AAV. If Hosmer thinks he should be getting a $25-27m per year, long term deal and no one wants to give it to him, he may grab a del that allows him to re-enter the market as he hits his age 30 season.

Edited by StLunatic88

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm not buying this Eric Hosmer rumor. I know it just says we're still interested, but I don't see us coming anywhere close to his asking price. 

Reports state he has a seven year offer on the table from the Padres and that KC is willing to go 6 years. I don't see us going matching either of those...

Yeah the Hosmer rumor is complete BS. Just his agent trying to push up his price tag.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's that stuff I don't like. 

Maybe if it's cheap(doubtful) and short(doubtful). 

Why would anyone be against this? If we arent getting an arm like Archer (its always been basically a pipe dream) then Arrieta is a pretty good fall back option to me. 

Even if we keep all three  of our next 3 SP prospects, and they all hit (Weaver, Reyes, Flaherty) we still need another arm for the next 3-4 years. 

Whatever is left of Wainwright is done after this season. Even if we keep Wacha he is done after next, and so is Mikolas.

But more realistically, we will move Flarhety in a deal, and then bring Reyes along slowly. for this season. Another not quite FOR arm would be very valuable.

13 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Why would anyone be against this? If we arent getting an arm like Archer (its always been basically a pipe dream) then Arrieta is a pretty good fall back option to me. 

Even if we keep all three  of our next 3 SP prospects, and they all hit (Weaver, Reyes, Flaherty) we still need another arm for the next 3-4 years. 

Whatever is left of Wainwright is done after this season. Even if we keep Wacha he is done after next, and so is Mikolas.

But more realistically, we will move Flarhety in a deal, and then bring Reyes along slowly. for this season. Another not quite FOR arm would be very valuable.

I'm against it because he's older, going to be expensive, going to be on a crippling long term deal, and he's regressing and probably will continue doing that. I'll support him if we do sign him but I wouldn't be a fan of the move. I have to say, if he doesn't grow his beard back I cannot even root for him :D

I will add, if we could get him for <4 years I'd like it. We need rotation help in a bad way next year and probably the year after. It'll take awhile for our young guns to gain footing and Arrieta could be good for a few years of eating innings. I don't mind paying a lot for him if it isn't too long. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if this lukewarm stove is any indication we might bring Lynn back?

Not likely.  We've still got Wacha, Mikolas, Waino, and Weaver as penciled into the rotation next year.  And we've got Flaherty behind those four.  Lynn's market is being slowed because Darvish and Arrieta haven't signed yet.  Once those two sign, he shouldn't be far behind.

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont think we need to get anywhere near that. This isnt a few years ago when he was looking like the best pitcher in baseball. I think Arrieta is already going to be capped at a 4 year contract as it is. 

Probably  a little high, but I'd rather overpay at 3 years than have to commit to a 4-5 year deal. Cubs are said to have a 4 year - 110 million offer out there to him, so it'll have to beat that...

At 4 years, I wouldn't want to go more than $115-120 million...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Probably  a little high, but I'd rather overpay at 3 years than have to commit to a 4-5 year deal. Cubs are said to have a 4 year - 110 million offer out there to him, so it'll have to beat that...

At 4 years, I wouldn't want to go more than $115-120 million...

I still dont believe that, the language on that report was so vague "could be willing to go as high as..."

To me thats a total stab in the dark by Nightengale, especially since not a single other report of an offer to Arrieta from the Cubs has surfaced.

He didnt get to cash in after '14/'15, and has been on the decline since then. He is still a very good pitcher, just no longer an Ace. and at 32, he is probably going for a higher AAV anyway, but there is no reason to go with $33m per year for him. Its not just alittle high, its outrageously high. Its almost $6m more per year than this supposed Max that the Cubs would go to. If you were going to tell me that we toss him that $33m AAV at him for a 2 year deal, sure Im probably listening, but not for more than that.

With as slow as this market is, it seems that the players are asking way too much (in the GMs eyes) or else some of these guys would have signed by now. Because with the new artificial cap, no one wants to spend that much. This isnt 4 years ago where money was being tossed around like candy.

I still think Arrieta's cap is a 4 year deal. And if he wants to go less than that, he may get as high as a $30m AAV. But not both.,