The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

14 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It looked like he turned the corner last year. I think he’ll continue that for the foreseeable future. He is a great fit for the 8-hole. It stinks he never lived up to his top of the order potential but he’s still a nice player. I think he’ll be more comfortable with his new plate approach this year and drive the gaps a little more.

No doubt, he definitely turned a corner last year with his play. He was finally able to show some consistency with his plate approach and it translated to his numbers. I think him not trying to be a 10-15 HR guy really helped his bat come along.

My biggest issue is the injuries and prolonged slumping he's dealt with over the course of his career.  

If he's able to roll over what he did in 2017 into 2018 and he can be counted on for more than 110-120 games I think hes good to go. However, he still has a lot of question behind him until he does...

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Is this the make/break year for Kolten Wong as the starting 2B moving forward? 

Short answer, No.

He is signed through 2020, with a club option for 2021. And he can still play defense. So where is he going? Who is pushing him out of 2B?

The only way that Wong isnt our 2nd baseman for the next 3 years is if he is moved as an asset to upgrade elsewhere (like a Josh Donaldson trade) or obviously thought injury. Hes under contract, plays too good of defense, and a non premium position, and always looks like h still has potential. Its a cocktail to stick around no matter how mediocre he plays.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Absolute class act Jedd!  Spend all the time in the world.

I first saw someone retweet it, and all I saw was "Dear Cardinals fans, I sincerely apologize" and I was worried that he did something and we may be without him for the year.

Obviously the situation is still unfortunate for him, but yes, class act of him to even think about fans at this point.

Blue Jays and 3B Josh Donaldson avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $23 million contract.

The $23 million figure is a record for an arbitration-eligible player. It was reported by MLB.com's Jon Morosi last week that the Blue Jays and Donaldson were not engaged in any active long-term extension talks, so it appears that the former MVP will be allowed to hit free agency next winter. Toronto seems intent on keeping Donaldson heading into the season, but he'll be a hot trade candidate in July if they fall out of contention.

Why are the BJ's making us wait? Just let us trade for him now...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

lol....

Ick

That is far from a good option. Surely we can't expect to start the season with our current bullpen construction. I would like to see the young guns get some run in the pen, though. I'd like to see Hudson get a look at high leverage bullpen work. He reminds me of Trevor Hoffman.

Gregerson as the Closer? My lord, what the hell happened? from day one of the offseason there were talks that we would be signing a Closer, hell didn't mo say that was his #1 priority this offseason? Please don't tell me it's luke F'n Gregerson. We really couldn't offer Reed a tad more that what he got from the Twins? 

Hoping Alex Reyes takes that role, or Waino is forced into that role. 

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Gregerson as the Closer? My lord, what the hell happened? from day one of the offseason there were talks that we would be signing a Closer, hell didn't mo say that was his #1 priority this offseason? Please don't tell me it's luke F'n Gregerson. We really couldn't offer Reed a tad more that what he got from the Twins? 

Hoping Alex Reyes takes that role, or Waino is forced into that role. 

Honestly, I really hope that they don't rely on Alex Reyes as the closer.  If they're relying on him as the closer, that means he's going down the Trevor Rosenthal path which means he'll be too far into the bullpen that they can't flip him to a starting role.  At this point, I think they need to see what they have in Ryan Helsley.  I think he's going to be a good one, especially if they put him in in the bullpen full-time.

I'm like 50/50 on whether I feel like we're done on the FA market. I'm still sitting in the boat that we would strike if SP/RP markets come down to 1-3 year deals...

Really hope we don't head into this season with the current BP construction. Gregerson as the CL has disaster written all over it...

I wasn't the biggest Addison Reed fan as the closer, but man seeing him sign a 2 year, $17 million deal hurts. He would have been an excellent piece to add to the BP (no matter what role he pitched in) for that deal...

On 1/13/2018 at 11:36 PM, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I really hope that they don't rely on Alex Reyes as the closer.  If they're relying on him as the closer, that means he's going down the Trevor Rosenthal path which means he'll be too far into the bullpen that they can't flip him to a starting role.  At this point, I think they need to see what they have in Ryan Helsley.  I think he's going to be a good one, especially if they put him in in the bullpen full-time.

Yah, kind of conflicting views on this, as Mo said earlier this off-season they'll ease Reyes into the year, but will be centering on him returning to the rotation at some point...

Whether that means at some point in 2018 or beyond is unclear now...