The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think we will be looking for another Bat all season long. And actually we are so position versatile, that it could be any infield position. But we need one more hitter to have a truly formidable lineup.

Plus I think we still have a Starting Pitcher to pick up whenever this Free Agent class actually picks up. 

While I agree, I'd like to see another impact bat added, I think we're content heading into the season with the offense we have. I could see us being active closer to the trade deadline though if A Donaldson or Machado became available and we were in the hunt still...

I hope we look to add another SP once the Darvish card falls, but I'm not holding my breath...

Couple parting shots from Randal Grichuk. Can't say I disagree...

“There were a lot of times when me and fellow outfielders kind of felt that if we were in the lineup, you’ve got to get two hits — or one hit and a walk — to be in there the next day," Grichuk told Sportsnet. "And that wasn’t good for anybody’s confidence or anybody’s state of mind stepping in the box. It’s a tough game to play. And it’s even tougher when you’re looking over your shoulder. Or questioning what’s going on or why it’s going on."

“I don’t know if the Cardinals weren’t big into stealing bases or taking that chance was not the best percentage they liked,” Grichuk told Sportsnet. “But we never really got the green light or the steal (sign) that often. I would like to steal more."

18 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Couple parting shots from Randal Grichuk. Can't say I disagree...

“There were a lot of times when me and fellow outfielders kind of felt that if we were in the lineup, you’ve got to get two hits — or one hit and a walk — to be in there the next day," Grichuk told Sportsnet. "And that wasn’t good for anybody’s confidence or anybody’s state of mind stepping in the box. It’s a tough game to play. And it’s even tougher when you’re looking over your shoulder. Or questioning what’s going on or why it’s going on."

“I don’t know if the Cardinals weren’t big into stealing bases or taking that chance was not the best percentage they liked,” Grichuk told Sportsnet. “But we never really got the green light or the steal (sign) that often. I would like to steal more."

Yeah, I can't disagree either.  Honestly, I think this deal with TOR has the potential to be a win for both teams.  Grichuk has potential, and he'll have more opportunity there.  If he can find some consistency in his game, he'll be good for them.  But I think it made a lot of sense to deal him for bullpen help.  Trading a guy who'd be getting very limited opportunities here for a quality bullpen guy in Leone, while not a blockbuster by any means, is a good deal.  If Greene makes it to the bigs eventually, that's a bonus.

I know this hardly brings anything to the thread, but dang, I am really excited for the season to start. I'm excited to see the new bullpen. I'm excited to see what sort of stache Mikolas will be sporting. I'm excited to see Ozuna in a beautiful Cardinals uniform. I am excited to see if DeJong and Pham can pick up where they left off. Football has really let me down this year and I'm looking forward to some good ol' fashioned Americana.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:29 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Brewers made a trade offer for OF Christian Yelich and the Cubs are in 'active' talks w/ SP Yu Darvish...

Uh oh...

Brewers have landed Yelich in a trade and they are signing Lorenzo Cain. There roster just got a lot better without having to give up talent off there MLB roster. Yikes...

Told you @StLunatic88 it was happening lol...

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Told you @StLunatic88 it was happening lol...

You were right, but I was going at it liek the Marlins may have a bit of a brain in the Front Office somewhere. Apparently not, and apparently Manfred is fine with Jeter single-handedly destroying baseball in South Florida

Im still not really afraid of the Brewers or anything. They gave a a bunch to get him, and Lorenzo Cain is not even close to the guy he was 2/3 years ago for the Royals.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You were right, but I was going at it liek the Marlins may have a bit of a brain in the Front Office somewhere. Apparently not, and apparently Manfred is fine with Jeter single-handedly destroying baseball in South Florida

Im still not really afraid of the Brewers or anything. They gave a a bunch to get him, and Lorenzo Cain is not even close to the guy he was 2/3 years ago for the Royals.

While they gave a lot to get him, most of it was surplus. They have good, young talent at every position on their roster. While Cain isn't the same defender and likely isn't going to put up the close to MVP numbers he did in 2015, he's still very good. Moving him to Miller Park and out of Kauffman is only going to help his offensive output...

Brewers big weakness is their rotation. It sounds like they are going hard after Danny Salazar though, so he'll be an immense upgrade there if they can land him. I don't think they have the payroll to add Darvish now with the Cain signing...

I wouldn't underestimate the Brewers in 2018 and beyond. They've built the roster the right way and have a ton of young talent spread all over. They were ahead of schedule last year and I think the near collapse in the playoff chase only helps them moving forward mentally. They're in same boat as us IMO. A piece or two away from being a legit threat for the division...

23 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Brewers big weakness is their rotation. It sounds like they are going hard after Danny Salazar though, so he'll be an immense upgrade there if they can land him. I don't think they have the payroll to add Darvish now with the Cain signing...

That's the major red flag for me.  They were 8th in SP WAR and 12th in SP FIP with Jimmy Nelson leading the way with a 4.9 WAR and 3.05 FIP.  The bad news is he's coming off of shoulder surgery, so the question remains whether or not he'll be healthy enough for the entire season let alone putting up the same numbers that he did last year.  Chase Anderson probably outperformed  his peripherals but not horribly.  He's probably still a 3 WAR SP.  To me, there's just too many question marks  in that rotation.