The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

More from Rosenthal:

Terms aren't yet available. Norris was very effective in the closer role with the Angels during the first half last season, though he faded while dealing with some knee issues and ultimately finished with a 4.21 ERA over 60 appearances (including three starts). Still, he struck out 74 batters in 62 innings and saw an uptick velocity out of the bullpen. If healthy, he could be an interesting piece for St. Louis, who have some uncertainty in the late innings.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Darvish isn't the ace he once was, but he's a very good #2. Cubs rotation is solid from top to bottom: Lester, Darvish, Hendricks, Quintana, Chatwood. That's a legit and proven rotation...

Good job by the Cubs, as it's likely a 2 year deal ( he has an opt out)...

I really hop the Brewers don't trade for Archer. I can live with them signing either Cobb or Lynn,...

Unfortunately, this was the kind of deal I was hoping the Cubs wouldn't make.  Good for them.  Low risk, mid-to-high reward.  Their bullpen still need a little bit of work, but they're clearly the favorites in the Central.

Can we talk Alex Reyes predictions? 

I’m really concerned with pitching him out of the pen this year. I think it might help the team more in the short term but I feel like it’s not a great move for his career. I’d like them to let him start for a few months, then when he starts getting close to his innings limit, stick him in the pen. That way he can help our pen during the home stretch.

30 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Can we talk Alex Reyes predictions? 

I’m really concerned with pitching him out of the pen this year. I think it might help the team more in the short term but I feel like it’s not a great move for his career. I’d like them to let him start for a few months, then when he starts getting close to his innings limit, stick him in the pen. That way he can help our pen during the home stretch.

I'm trying to temper my expectations, because when I get excited something happens and I'm disappointed.  I think last I heard, they were targeting May for his MLB season debut. That means he'll likely go to EST after spring training to continue to rehab.  Sounds like they'll start him off in the bullpen for an inning at a time and try and stretch him out.  I'd imagine they'll send him down to the minors sometime in late July/early August to stretch him out and bring him back up as a starting pitcher to finish the season.  If we get ~100 innings out of him this year, I'll be stoked.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Derrick Gould says to slow your roll, dont just pencil him into the BP right away.

Bud Norris is not going into the rotation without something happening.  Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, Adam Wainwright, Miles Mikolas, and Luke Weaver will be our rotation barring injury.  And given his early season production in the Angels' bullpen, he's going to be a reliever.

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Apparently we're sill kicking the tires on Jake Odorizzi recently and the Rays are willing to move him...

I'm still not totally sure I understand this move, unless the Cardinals are trying to buy low on him.  Does he really offer anything more than what Michael Wacha does without the injury concerns?  I'd argue that Wacha is more valuable than Odorizzi if he's healthy, which is a question.  So unless you're planning on flipping Wacha in a separate deal, I'm not sure you acquire Odorizzi.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Bud Norris is not going into the rotation without something happening.  Carlos Martinez, Michael Wacha, Adam Wainwright, Miles Mikolas, and Luke Weaver will be our rotation barring injury.  And given his early season production in the Angels' bullpen, he's going to be a reliever.

I would say that is the most likely path, but Gould doesnt just say those things as a hot take guy or something. He has heard something about Norris getting a look as a Starter again.

And this thought gets brought up every year (because it will happen someday) could we be looking at a 6 man rotation for part of the season? We are already worried about innings, and with Flaherty-Reyes-and now Norris, it could be implemented.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I would say that is the most likely path, but Gould doesnt just say those things as a hot take guy or something. He has heard something about Norris getting a look as a Starter again.

And this thought gets brought up every year (because it will happen someday) could we be looking at a 6 man rotation for part of the season? We are already worried about innings, and with Flaherty-Reyes-and now Norris, it could be implemented.

I don't think there's a chance that we go with a 6 man rotation, as long as Carlos Martinez is in the rotation you want him pitching every 5th day.  I think Colorado is the only team in recent years that I've seen actually utilize a 6 man rotation, but I could be wrong.  I think this pretty much cements Jack Flaherty starting the season in Memphis, if it didn't already. Bud Norris is your long reliever in the bullpen, and spot starter.

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed, especially at 1 year 3 million. He can be a Jack of all trades: has closing experience if needed, can pitch long relief and can spot start as needed...

Yep, He was rolling right along in the first half last year. If he stays healthy, he'll benefit the team. I'm all about the quantity approach to building a BP.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Cardinals will be among the teams at Tim Lincecum's showcase on Thursday.

The list of confirmed teams planning to send representatives also includes the Angels, Orioles, Twins, Giants, Dodgers, Yankees, Brewers, Padres, Tigers, Phillies, and Rangers.

Said this a week or two back, that we should take a look at him...