The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

20 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Tommy Pham is pist he didn't get a significant raise after last year. Listen to his sound bite...

I love it. He's got a chip on his shoulder yet again...

I get it from both sides on this one.  I mean, I don't know what the Cardinals offered, but I would understand them being at least a little reluctant to shell out boatloads of money when A) they don't have to, and B) they consider Pham's injury/health history.  And from Pham's perspective, he believes he's past his health issues and primed to continue what he did last year, so he's willing to bet on himself.  Both sides make some sense, so I'm not shocked they didn't come to an agreement.  

But I'm with you...I love Pham's attitude.  I don't think he's bitter (at least I hope not), but he's motivated.  I don't know that he needed any help being motivated, but this certainly helps fuel that fire.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:26 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Tommy Pham is pist he didn't get a significant raise after last year. Listen to his sound bite...

I love it. He's got a chip on his shoulder yet again...

I definitely understand not even approaching him about an extension.  Looking at this realistically, he's probably not going to have the same kind of year he did last year.  And with his degenerative eye disease, it's probably a huge risk.  Pay him peanuts and reap the benefits.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I definitely understand not even approaching him about an extension.  Looking at this realistically, he's probably not going to have the same kind of year he did last year.  And with his degenerative eye disease, it's probably a huge risk.  Pay him peanuts and reap the benefits.

They offered him a two-year deal, but he felt he could make more by going to arbitration.  I understand their concern, but I also love his confidence in himself.  I hope he wins this bet on himself.

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny told reporters that Luke Gregerson is currently suffering from a "minor" oblique injury. Gregerson was supposed to make his Grapefruit League debut on Tuesday, but was held out for unknown reasons. The reasons are now known. He underwent an MRI, and the results didn't seem to give the Cardinals any long-term concerns.

There is nothing minor about an oblique strain IMO, especially as a pitcher...

Hope I'm wrong, but we've seen this all too many times from the Cards...

50 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

There is nothing minor about an oblique strain IMO, especially as a pitcher...

Hope I'm wrong, but we've seen this all too many times from the Cards...

Here we go already with that infamous Cardinals medical staff. We'll probably see him some time in June

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Did anyone actually watch Waino's last start? If so, how was he?

I know what his statline looked like but how did he look? Velocity in the 90's?

I watched some of it. He was sitting 89-92 range. Curveball looked real good though. Much more tight breaking and less loopy. Looked close to his vintage curve...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I watched some of it. He was sitting 89-92 range. Curveball looked real good though. Much more tight breaking and less loopy. Looked close to his vintage curve...

Good. I think if he can at least sit at 90 with his fastball and stay healthy, he'll be solid for us. That's a lot of hoping to bank on, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Good. I think if he can at least sit at 90 with his fastball and stay healthy, he'll be solid for us. That's a lot of hoping to bank on, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Agreed, I like what I've see so far with his stuff. it looks better than last year, but it's still diminished

I think biggest issue with Wainwright is himself. He's such a bulldog and thinks he can get anyone out at anytime. He's always been that way and it's worked up until recent, but now his stuff isn't the same and he needs to change his approach and repotiore ...

The cutter he's relied so much upon in the past, just isn't a positive pitch for him anymore. It's been hammered the last two years. He needs to get away from it IMO...

2 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed, I like what I've see so far with his stuff. it looks better than last year, but it's still diminished

I think biggest issue with Wainwright is himself. He's such a bulldog and thinks he can get anyone out at anytime. He's always been that way and it's worked up until recent, but now his stuff isn't the same and he needs to change his approach and repotiore ...

The cutter he's relied so much upon in the past, just isn't a positive pitch for him anymore. It's been hammered the last two years. He needs to get away from it IMO...

Old dogs and new tricks and all that but maybe Maddux can help him find it again.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:30 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Matt Carpenter's back issues are likely going to cause him not to be game ready by opening day...

Jose Martinez strained his groin yesterday, although it's considered to be minor...

Martinez is already playing. Must have been really minor. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Royal re-signed Moustakas to a 1 year deal, for up to $8.5 million w/ incentives. Also got a mutual option for 2019 at $15 million.

Royals played the market right on that one lol! I bet Mouse is kicking himself for not taking their QO...

I bet more of these dominos will continue to fall. I'd like to get Arrieta on a prove it style deal. 

Apparently Matt Carpenter's shoulder injury that plagued him in the past has re-flared up to go on top of the low back issue...

He's a big 'if' at this point for opening day and Matheny came out and said it's hard for them to envision Carp moving around the infield as was the original plan, he's likely relegated to 1B until he's close to 100%...