The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

14 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

This team has to find a way to get rid of Bader and Fowler after this season

Bader is just a matter of Mo/Schidlt deciding hes not worth it anymore, but I am already guessing they will pull the "you cant use the Covid year, we will give him another chance"

Fowler on the other hand is pretty locked in with that contract, but thankfully 2021 is his final year

No one is giving us anything of value for either one of these guys (or Carp), which is why with the addition of Hudson's TJS, I think we will be punting on 2021.

I mean 0-5 is bad enough, but 5 Ks for Bader is beyond awful. You have to figure out a way to get Brad Miller in th lineup for him for this evenings game dont you?

This is a side note from these playoffs, But I need to post it so I can come back here;

Regarding Carpenters 2022 Vesting Option, He needed 1,100 Plate Appearances between 2020-21, with at least 550 happening in 2021 (didnt know that piece before). If not it becomes a $12 Team Option with a $2m buyout

I dont think this has all been settled, but Im assuming we will have a prorated system when it comes to these situations in contracts. So if we are basing it on the 60 game season, we know its the 2.7x multiplier;

Carpenter had 169 PA in 2020, which would equate to 456.3 PA in a full season, which would leave (round up to be safe) 643 PA needed in 2021

But if he would argue the Cardinals only played 58 (although he cant guarantee that he would have played in those, or that they would have been made up in a regular length season) that 169 would get a 2.79x multiplier and be 472 PA, leaving 628 PA for 2021.

Just for reference, in all of his 5 mostly healthy seasons (not counting 2019 and 2016) he has topped 620 PA in all of those. But then again he was leading off, and playing every day, two things that shouldnt happen in 2021. 

I feel much better about this situation right now than I did to start this shortened season, and honesty the Double Headers may have saved us from the disaster of committing $18.5m in nearly useless dollars to Carp.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Bader is just a matter of Mo/Schidlt deciding hes not worth it anymore, but I am already guessing they will pull the "you cant use the Covid year, we will give him another chance"

Fowler on the other hand is pretty locked in with that contract, but thankfully 2021 is his final year

No one is giving us anything of value for either one of these guys (or Carp), which is why with the addition of Hudson's TJS, I think we will be punting on 2021.

I mean 0-5 is bad enough, but 5 Ks for Bader is beyond awful. You have to figure out a way to get Brad Miller in th lineup for him for this evenings game dont you?

The platinum sombrero (as it's being called) was brutal, but let's not overlook what he did the day before (HR and triple to help us secure the playoff spot). He's definitely improved his approach at the plate over the last few weeks and has been competent at the plate. He's never going to be a top-middle of the order guy some hoped he'd develop into, but if he continues to hit like he has over recent (excluding yesterday), he's fine as a 7-9 hole guy given what he provides on defense. Given the emphasis this FO places on run prevention and being that next year is going to be a wah in FA given the financial circumstances, I think he's our CF as you said. It's not great, but I can live with it provided he hits closer to 2nd half of 2020 vs. 1st half...

Brad Miller has really cooled off since his tear. He's hitting .154 over his last 15 games with 2 XBH (1 HR) during that span. I'm fine with keeping the lineup as is until it needs the tweak...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm fine with keeping the lineup as is until it needs the tweak...

This is not a 7 game series where you have time to make adjustments, Im not saying Bader has to be the one to move out of the lineup (although yesterday would suggest you should), but Miller is a good hitter at PetCo and Id get him in there.

Using game 58 as justification for Bader is pretty weak. Just because he isnt hitting sub .100 anymore like in July doesnt mean he is hitting well. Other than that last game (where his HR was inconsequential) he has only 4 extra base hits in the last month, he is hitting under .220 in that time and under .200 in the past 2 weeks. Yes he had a nice last week of the season, but 5s in one game, were he looked no where near any of those pitches, is inexcusable for playoff baseball.

But then again, this is the sport where Ozuna (who I really like) just went 1-9 with 5Ks and is getting a stroke job for 1 HR when the Braves were already leading.

57 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is not a 7 game series where you have time to make adjustments, Im not saying Bader has to be the one to move out of the lineup (although yesterday would suggest you should), but Miller is a good hitter at PetCo and Id get him in there.

Using game 58 as justification for Bader is pretty weak. Just because he isnt hitting sub .100 anymore like in July doesnt mean he is hitting well. Other than that last game (where his HR was inconsequential) he has only 4 extra base hits in the last month, he is hitting under .220 in that time and under .200 in the past 2 weeks. Yes he had a nice last week of the season, but 5s in one game, were he looked no where near any of those pitches, is inexcusable for playoff baseball.

But then again, this is the sport where Ozuna (who I really like) just went 1-9 with 5Ks and is getting a stroke job for 1 HR when the Braves were already leading.

I know it's a 3 game series, which is why I stated I don't mess with the lineup that won me game 1....

Miller hasn't hit at all last few weeks, no need to force him in. Bader has had success against Davies (albeit a small sample size) coming in. Plus, not really like we have better options in the OF to plug in...

Already came through with big hit tonight too...