The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

18 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Brett Cecil has dropped 34 lbs this offseason...

Wonder if he dropped his garbage pitching too?

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Carlos Martinez will be on a no-throw program for two weeks due in order to strengthen his shoulder.

Not the best news after his arm issues last season, but the good news is that an MRI taken Monday showed no structural damage in the shoulder. According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Martinez will be re-evaluated on March 5 for a possible return to his throwing program. Even if there aren't any hiccups, Opening Day could be in question

I hope Cecil figures out how to pitch again. Also, the Martinez news is a real gut punch. I hope he's ok and he can stay healthy this year. 

On 2/19/2019 at 9:28 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Carlos Martinez will be on a no-throw program for two weeks due in order to strengthen his shoulder.

Not the best news after his arm issues last season, but the good news is that an MRI taken Monday showed no structural damage in the shoulder. According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Martinez will be re-evaluated on March 5 for a possible return to his throwing program. Even if there aren't any hiccups, Opening Day could be in question

And so it begins...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=stl

Our top 8 is solid as hell. The only thing I'd probably change in the top 8 would be moving Montero up a tad, but can't really complain about him being at #5. I think its the most talented top 8 we've had in quite some time. 

Oh yeah, I'm liking the power potential we have in the minors. Gorman, Torres, Montero, and Nunez all look like they are some real hitters. Maybe we'll be able to grow a couple good big leaguers out of them. I'm also intrigued by Carlson. I can't quite get a read on him. I'm excited to see him more, though.

37 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Oh yeah, I'm liking the power potential we have in the minors. Gorman, Torres, Montero, and Nunez all look like they are some real hitters. Maybe we'll be able to grow a couple good big leaguers out of them. I'm also intrigued by Carlson. I can't quite get a read on him. I'm excited to see him more, though.

I'm a big Carlson fan, he's always been playing in an advanced league for his age. Love his K/Walk-rates. He's potentially going to be starting in AA this year at age 20. Interested to see what kind of numbers he puts up in the Texas League, a known hitters league. 

Also, I'm surprised that Dennis Ortega didn't get a spot in the top 30.

Edited by holt_bruce81

56 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm a big Carlson fan, he's always been playing in an advanced league for his age. Love his K/Walk-rates. He's potentially going to be starting in AA this year at age 20. Interested to see what kind of numbers he puts up in the Texas League, a known hitters league. 

Also, I'm surprised that Dennis Ortega didn't get a spot in the top 30.

Would you say his ceiling is an OF version of Matt Carpenter?

17 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Lane Thomas, Genesis Cabrera and Ryan Helsley all have a good shot to be on the big league club at some point this season...

A lot of people love Ryan Helsley, Mo and Danny Mac have talked the kid up in the past. I’m excited to watch him this Spring. Hopefully he’s healthy, I know He was shutdown last year mid season. 

On 2/21/2019 at 12:12 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=stl

Our top 8 is solid as hell. The only thing I'd probably change in the top 8 would be moving Montero up a tad, but can't really complain about him being at #5. I think its the most talented top 8 we've had in quite some time. 

Finally getting a chance to look at it, and I'm not a fan of their list at all.  Knizner is a top 3 prospect in our farm system and a top 100 overall prospect.  He's probably 3rd behind Alex Reyes and Nolan Gorman.  Fourth is probably Dakota Hudson because of proximity to big league roster, and I'd put Elehuris Montero at 5 because of how well that bat has played.  Bring in Helsey at 6 or 7 with Arozarena.  Dylan Carlson needs to be inside the top 10.  Evan Mendoza probably deserves to be higher.

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Finally getting a chance to look at it, and I'm not a fan of their list at all.  Knizner is a top 3 prospect in our farm system and a top 100 overall prospect.  He's probably 3rd behind Alex Reyes and Nolan Gorman.  Fourth is probably Dakota Hudson because of proximity to big league roster, and I'd put Elehuris Montero at 5 because of how well that bat has played.  Bring in Helsey at 6 or 7 with Arozarena.  Dylan Carlson needs to be inside the top 10.  Evan Mendoza probably deserves to be higher.

What list are you looking at? The new list has...

1. Alex Reyes RHP
2. Nolan Gorman 3B 
3. Andrew Knizner C 
4. Dakota Hudson RHP
5. Elehuris Montero 3B 
6. Jhonn Torres OF 
7. Malcolm Nunez 3B 
8. Dylan Carlson OF/1B 
9. Lane Thomas OF
10. Genesis Cabrera LHP
11. Ryan Helsley RHP
12. Edmundo Sosa SS
13. Tommy Edman SS 
14. Griffin Roberts RHP
15. Justin Williams OF 
16. Randy Arozarena OF 

Id probably flip Torres and Helsley, but I think That’s a really solid list. I was A bit surprised to not see Evan Mendoza In the top 30. I think He and Evan kruczynzki are big jumpers mid season. Pretty aggressive ranking for Ivan Herrera, might be a catching prospect worth keeping an eye on. 

I’d put Evan Mendoza and Dennis Ortega on this list over a guy like Ynfante and Ramon Urias. 

Edited by holt_bruce81