The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

35 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Goddamnit this is going to be something totally reasonable like 2/$28MM.

Good deal for you dudes. Miller's velocity was fine in September when he was healthy.

MLBTR got him at 3/$27, Spotrac has him at 3/$54M, and Kiley has it at 2/$22M.

42 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

MLBTR got him at 3/$27, Spotrac has him at 3/$54M, and Kiley has it at 2/$22M.

I would have bet he got in the $35-40MM range before the offseason. He was healthy and none of his injuries were structural issues. Yeah you have to rest him more than you did 3 years ago, but Andrew Miller with 55 IP a year is still a monster.

58 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Not bad

Not bad at all.  Seems very reasonable.  

I'm curious about the buyout, though.  Does that mean that if he doesn't pitch in 110 games, we owe him $2.5M?  Or that if he does pitch in 110 games and we decide we don't want him, we can buy out that vested option for $2.5M?  Seems weird.  I don't think I've ever seen a vesting option and buyout together like that.

2 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

I'm curious about the buyout, though.  Does that mean that if he doesn't pitch in 110 games, we owe him $2.5M?  Or that if he does pitch in 110 games and we decide we don't want him, we can buy out that vested option for $2.5M?  Seems weird.  I don't think I've ever seen a vesting option and buyout together like that.

Based on the way that tweet was written, I'd assume it's based on whether or not that option vests.  If it doesn't vest, the Cardinals owe him $2.5M.  If it vests, that buyout goes away and he gets the full $12M.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

This team should be going all out for Harper or Machado at this point. Bigger opening in RF so Harper is the obvious choice. A lineup consisting of Carp, Ozuna, Goldschmidt, and Harper has to be amongst the best in baseball.

Manny Machado really doesn't have a fit in this roster, and given his "Johnny Hustle" comment I don't think that's someone the Cardinals want in the locker room.  Both Andrew Miller and Paul Goldschmidt are high quality locker room guys from all accounts.  As for Harper, I heard an interesting rumor that if the Cardinals signed him they'd end up shipping away Marcel Ozuna instead of Dexter Fowler.  Not sure how I feel about that.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Manny Machado really doesn't have a fit in this roster, and given his "Johnny Hustle" comment I don't think that's someone the Cardinals want in the locker room.  Both Andrew Miller and Paul Goldschmidt are high quality locker room guys from all accounts.  As for Harper, I heard an interesting rumor that if the Cardinals signed him they'd end up shipping away Marcel Ozuna instead of Dexter Fowler.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Well that would be idiotic....

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Based on the way that tweet was written, I'd assume it's based on whether or not that option vests.  If it doesn't vest, the Cardinals owe him $2.5M.  If it vests, that buyout goes away and he gets the full $12M.

That's the way I understood it as well. If he meets the 110 inning over the 2 years, the option vests automatically. If he doesn't, we can buy the last year out for $2.5 million.

So he's gauranteed $27.5 million at minimum...

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

That's the way I understood it as well. If he meets the 110 inning over the 2 years, the option vests automatically. If he doesn't, we can buy the last year out for $2.5 million.

So he's gauranteed $27.5 million at minimum...

He gets $11M this year, $11.5M in 2020, and if he doesn't hit the IP qualifiers between 2019 and 2020, he gets $2.5M in 2021.  That's $25M.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

He gets $11M this year, $11.5M in 2020, and if he doesn't hit the IP qualifiers between 2019 and 2020, he gets $2.5M in 2021.  That's $25M.

Not according to this...

Cardinals signed LHP Andrew Miller to a two-year, $25 million contract with a $12 million vesting option for 2021.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic has the specifics on the deal, which guarantees Miller at least $27.5 million when you include a $2.5 million buyout. The option will vest if he makes 110 appearances from 2019-20