The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Mo and the gang know it's now or never.

I think you're being just a bit dramatic here. 

Its been said here, and else where plenty of times. I think they would be even more interested in Arenado next offseason. He fits the Roster makeup better, he probably wont cost more (possibly less?) and we will be out from under some major Dollars next year. As well as one year closer to being done with Fowler's contract, while being in the final year of the Molina, Cecil and (possibly) Wong deals.

I still think we are more in on Harper than most do, but I also dont think we are desperate for him either.

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know reports are looking bleak, but I think we're still very much in on the Harper discussion. I think Mo and the gang know it's now or never. We've got to get a star locked up. They're going to screw around and start losing fans if we continually churn out this 85 win teams. 

I think optimistic would probably be the best way to describe it.  Not sure they want to go much more than 8, maybe 9 years.  IF he's wanting 10+, I don't think Mo will go there.  I think part it comes from them feeling they're going to make a play on Nolan Arenado next offseason.

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Apparently Dodgers and Cards have discussed Jose Martinez trade...

Doesn't really make sense to me, but I like the Dodgers farm...

Yeah, there's not really an obvious connection there unless they're planning on bolstering their farm system.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

It was said they are looking at him as a 1B option. Which would actually make sense

I mean, I'm talking about from St. Louis' perspective.  Right now, we're dangling him looking for a LH reliever, and I don't really see anyone worth giving up Martinez for.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'm talking about from St. Louis' perspective.  Right now, we're dangling him looking for a LH reliever, and I don't really see anyone worth giving up Martinez for.

Ah, yea wasnt thinking of it like that. Would for sure rather have a package of Martinez+ for a Will Smith or something. But I think they are just trying to clean the everyday roster up a bit, while maximizing the return value.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Ah, yea wasnt thinking of it like that. Would for sure rather have a package of Martinez+ for a Will Smith or something. But I think they are just trying to clean the everyday roster up a bit, while maximizing the return value.

Supposedly that was what was being discussed.  Seems that San Francisco wasn't interested.

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Supposedly that was what was being discussed.  Seems that San Francisco wasn't interested.

I'm really not sure, as a giants fan, how I felt about that offer. I Think it would have depended largely on whether or not the team could have moved Belt. I think Martinez would end up being a net negative if he had to play defense in the outfield in SF. If we could play him more at first it wouldn't be ideal, but much more palatable than having him play the outfield.