The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

Was his 2017 considered disappointing? 

After the contract we gave him? Absolutely. Especially when he forced Carp out of the Leadoff spot and couldnt produce there.

Sure when you compare it to 2018 it looks great, but when you compare it to giving a 5 year $80m+ deal with a Full NTC as one of the highest paid Free Agents that year...

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You honestly think theres only A 1% chance? Id say more people would believe that is closer to what he is now, as he reaches 33 and hasnt held up for a season since hes been here. And yes, the 24 year old is going to get more chances than the 33 year old, especially when he put up double the WAR last year in less than Half the ABs.(according to some measures) 

You have way more faith in Fowler than I think any other person Ive ever seen talk about him. Last year he was supposed to be getting a chance to rebound from a disappointing 2017, and he was even worse. We have other options (not just O'Neill) and Fowler hasnt shown anything other than he should be a Utility OF that should be no higher than a 7-hole hitter. But because we gave him an awful contract he has gotten preferential treatment, and plenty of excuses made for him. With next to nothing to show for it. Are we going to go through years 4 & 5 of his contract also saying "give him a chance to rebound"?

You think there's a realistic chance of him hitting .180/.278/.298 with .260 wOBA and 62 wRC+ again?  Players don't just suddenly fall off the face of the earth like that unless there is an underlying injury.  An injury that has shown before that tends to ruin baseball players at the plate.  Dexter Fowler will almost assuredly be better than he was last year.  That seems unlikely he'll be that bad.  And it's not faith in Fowler, it's the fact that he's going to get the first shot at the gig.  That's the reality of it.  If Fowler flops again this year, then we're probably talking about eating his salary, but we're not giving up on a player because of one bad year.  It's not like there aren't plenty of AB to go around in the OF.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

There are plenty of bad contracts around the league, I am not expecting that we would get anything useful to move him, but basically a salary swap to clear the logjam in the OF, and maybe have a less hindering piece? I didnt suggest we would be trading him for Sydergard or anything like that

Coming off the season that Dexter just had, he's arguably the worst contract in the league AND he has a NTC.  He's not moveable right now.

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Was his 2017 considered disappointing? 

I wouldn't consider it disappointing unless simply referring to him only being able to stay healthy for 118 games.

I don't think he disappointed from a production standpoint though, as in those games he was right on his career norms in basically every offensive category and put up a 2.5 WAR, which again is right in line with career norms...

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So we’re less than 3 weeks from opening day. Anyone wanna take a guess at the Rotation? Who gets that 5th spot? 

Thinking it’s between 3 guys. Alex Reyes, John Gant and Dakota Hudson. 

Honestly, I think it's a 4 man rotation to start the year. The 1st couple weeks of the season, teams rarely need that 5th guy. Mikolas, Flaherty, Wacha, Wainwright will all start.

I think you'll see Hudson, Gant and possibly Ponce make spot starts as needed...