The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

On 1/27/2018 at 11:34 AM, CWood21 said:

That's the major red flag for me.  They were 8th in SP WAR and 12th in SP FIP with Jimmy Nelson leading the way with a 4.9 WAR and 3.05 FIP.  The bad news is he's coming off of shoulder surgery, so the question remains whether or not he'll be healthy enough for the entire season let alone putting up the same numbers that he did last year.  Chase Anderson probably outperformed  his peripherals but not horribly.  He's probably still a 3 WAR SP.  To me, there's just too many question marks  in that rotation.

Nelson is expected to be back in June, so he's actually ahead of schedule...

If they get him back and they add another TOR starter (which they likely will before ST) they could have a pretty good rotation. 

Honestly, I think they have less question marks in their rotation than we do...

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

Cardinals announced their HOF Nominees the other day if anyone cares.

The Nominees are...

Ray Lankford 
Vince Coleman 
Keith Hernandez 
Lee Smith 
John Tudor 
Scott Rolen 
Jason Isringhausen 

For me it's between Rolen, Lankford and Hernandez. Only get to vote for 2 though. 

Hernandez would have my vote except he's known as a fan spitter and premature asker for moving help. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2018 at 1:41 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Cardinals announced their HOF Nominees the other day if anyone cares.

The Nominees are...

Ray Lankford 
Vince Coleman 
Keith Hernandez 
Lee Smith 
John Tudor 
Scott Rolen 
Jason Isringhausen 

For me it's between Rolen, Lankford and Hernandez. Only get to vote for 2 though. 

It would be between Lankford, Coleman and Hernandez for me. Rolen and Izzy will eventually get in too...

Go look at Vince Coleman's SB numbers from 85' - 90'. They are insane. He basically averaged 17.5 more steals per year and had over a 100 more steals total during that span than the next closest guy, who happens to be considered the best base-stealer of all time (Rickey Henderson). Vince wasn't the greatest hitter, but when he got on-base (which he did at a respectable clip) he was almost assured to be standing on 3B...

I'd probably go with Lankford and Hernandez as my two...

Would you guys take a flier on Tim Lincecum? He's set to throw for scouts next week. I'd read some reports prior to this one on him, that he took 2017 off to rebuild his strength and is in phenomenal shape. 

Probably could be had on a minor league deal w/ invite to ST...

Free agent right-hander Tim Lincecum is scheduled to throw for scouts from interested teams on Thursday, February 15. The showcase will take place at Driveline Baseball Research Lab in Kent, Washington, where Lincecum has been working out all winter. The 33-year-old former two-time Cy Young Award winner did not pitch professionally in 2017 and he struggled mightily with the Angels in 2016, but he should be able to find a minor league contract and camp invite if things go well during next week's workout. Lincecum has built an impressive amount of upper-body muscle and reportedly regained some velocity on his fastball.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Would you guys take a flier on Tim Lincecum? He's set to throw for scouts next week. I'd read some reports prior to this one on him, that he took 2017 off to rebuild his strength and is in phenomenal shape. 

Probably could be had on a minor league deal w/ invite to ST...

If that's all it takes to get him, I don't see how it's not worth a shot.

• Like 1

Here is a list of the non-roster invites to ST. Some good names on the list that have a shot...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/power-arms-and-speedy-outfielders-headline-cardinals-non-roster-invitees/article_f5e0f3ed-48fb-5a1f-bd67-b4886a498f91.html

I think Jordan Schaefer has a legit shot to make the roster. He was highly touted by FO last ST before the injury...

On 2/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Welp, Darvish is a cub. Hopefully that means Lynn signs soon and we can get that sweet, sweet draft pick.

Darvish isn't the ace he once was, but he's a very good #2. Cubs rotation is solid from top to bottom: Lester, Darvish, Hendricks, Quintana, Chatwood. That's a legit and proven rotation...

Good job by the Cubs, as it's likely a 2 year deal ( he has an opt out)...

I really hop the Brewers don't trade for Archer. I can live with them signing either Cobb or Lynn,...