The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm assuming based on the tweet he's in the bullpen, at least to start the year.  I'm not sure I totally understand the implication in terms of arbitration clock.

I bet they just stick him in the pen for good. Why waste messing with his arbitration if we aren’t going to use him? The bullpen is going to be full of flamethrowers.

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I bet they just stick him in the pen for good. Why waste messing with his arbitration if we aren’t going to use him? The bullpen is going to be full of flamethrowers.

I'm really hoping it's just a temporary thing tbh.  He's too good to relegate to the bullpen.  Him and Alex Reyes along with Carlos Martinez at the top of our rotation for future years is going to be amazing.  I don't want to stunt his development.  I like the idea of giving him a taste of the big league, just figured it'd come closer to September.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I like the idea of giving him a taste of the big league, just figured it'd come closer to September.

I think there is a chance we might be needed to lean on him for some Major League innings as a starter in late August/September, so getting him a taste of the big Leagues right now is more of a development thing than any indicator of him becoming a BP Arm

Sounds like the plan is for Hicks to be in the BP as a late-innings guy until Reyes is eligible to come back at the beginning of May. We'll likely send him down at that point.

I'm not sure I like this, as I thought a prospect had start the year in the minors and then could be called up after 2 weeks in order for the team to gain that extra year of control. It's what the Cubs did with Bryant and what the Braves are doing w/ Acuna...

Could be totally wrong though...

Miles Mikolas tossed three shutout innings Tuesday in an exhibition appearance against the Blue Jays. Mikolas struck out six of the 10 batters he faced, showing mid-90s velocity on his fastball and a wicked curve. The 29-year-old right-hander got off to a concerning start this spring in Cardinals camp, but he's rounding into form at the perfect time. 

I really like what I've seen from Mikolas the last 4 starts. He's been sharp and when he's on he's got MLB stuff that gets results. Hoping it transitions to the regular season...

Luke Weaver worked three scoreless innings in an exhibition game Tuesday night against the Blue Jays. Weaver yielded one hit, one walk, and struck out four in the short final tuneup. The 24-year-old breakout candidate finishes the spring with a sparkling 0.55 ERA, 0.67 WHIP, and 19 strikeouts in 16 1/3 innings.

He just keeps rolling. He's been untouchable all spring. You barely hear anything about him because he's been so consistent. 

I'm feeling a lot better going into the season seeing the way Weaver, Mikolas and Wacha have been throwing the ball the last few weeks. Hopefully it keeps going...

24 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm not sure I like this, as I thought a prospect had start the year in the minors and then could be called up after 2 weeks in order for the team to gain that extra year of control.

I believe the Kris Bryant situation only applies when we would plan on keeping the player on the Major League roster for the rest of the season. That would not apply here with Hicks, as he is planned to be sent down at some point. So basically as long as the player is optioned back to the minors for that length of time that wouldnt give them a whole year of Service Time, it essentially does the same thing.

It is much easier (less scummy) to do this with a guy in the Bullpen than it is a Starter or a Fielder. But you always run the risk of Reyes last year, where he doesnt play at all, but he is on the Major League DL which accrues as a full year.

Mo looks to buy out Arb and early FA years anyway, so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I believe the Kris Bryant situation only applies when we would plan on keeping the player on the Major League roster for the rest of the season. That would not apply here with Hicks, as he is planned to be sent down at some point. So basically as long as the player is optioned back to the minors for that length of time that wouldnt give them a whole year of Service Time, it essentially does the same thing.

It is much easier (less scummy) to do this with a guy in the Bullpen than it is a Starter or a Fielder. But you always run the risk of Reyes last year, where he doesnt play at all, but he is on the Major League DL which accrues as a full year.

Mo looks to buy out Arb and early FA years anyway, so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense.

I figured the FO had it figured out lol. Good point on buying out the arb years, as we like to take that approach to avoid running into issues...

On 3/26/2018 at 1:38 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

My question is, you finally figure out a contact that works for you last year. How do you not have like 5 or 6 replica pairs made lol...

Shame on him and the Cardinals. One of them should have had that done...

Totally agree.  That seems strange.  Too many things can happen to rely on just one pair.

Guys, we're finally doing it! We're using the 10 DL!

Cardinals placed RHP Adam Wainwright on the 10-day disabled list with a right hamstring strain.

Cardinals placed RHP Alex Reyes on the 10-day disabled list with a right elbow injury.

Cardinals placed RHP Luke Gregerson on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to March 26, with a left hamstring strain

eyes on the 10-day disabled list with a right elbow injury.
  • Like 1