The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

On 3/31/2018 at 11:16 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

Reyes to 60-day DL to make room for Holland. 

A bit surprising given when the Cardinals said they wanted to put Alex Reyes back into game action.  Almost wonder if this has more to do with Jordan Hicks than Alex Reyes.

19 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We also traded Valera. I’m sure you guys saw this just nobody posted it. I don’t have it handy who we traded him to, I just know we got a power potential low minors guy. It’s cool we got something for both of the guys we dropped.

Gave up nothing, get nothing in return.  I mean, I'm not opposed to this deal at all but I'm not expecting anything from this trade.  Valera was a career AAAA player with no standout tools.  Wish him the best, but glad he's no longer on the 40 man roster.

• Like 1

Was impressed w/ Mikolas' first start yesterday. He had some good stuff. Sharp breaking ball and good velocity on his fastball. His biggest issue has always been control and while it's still a work in progress, he's much improved. 

He got burnt a few times on missed location and in Miller park and with the Brewers line-up they deposit those into the stands. I don't think the HR  ball will plague him moving forward...

Overall a better start than the stat line suggests...

For those that missed it yesterday:

Greg Holland is on track to join the Cardinals' bullpen next Monday. Holland threw to hitters on Tuesday and will make minor league rehab appearances with Low-A Palm Beach on Thursday and Saturday. If both of those outings go well, he should get clearance to join up with the Cardinals and presumably take over as their primary closer.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Looks like the man named Jedd is hitting the 10 day DL for a hammy. This may be a blessing in disguise because it gives Matheny no other option than to play Wong. I hate the way they handle him.

I feel bad for Wong too, especially with how well he played last year.  But Jose Martinez' emergence has forced Wong & Gyorko into a timeshare.  I guess this is one of those "good problem to have" situations.

Well that one stung. Those are the games you look back at near the end of the season as ones that can cost you a playoff spot in a tight race...

I know it's early and BP is still getting their roles and feel of pitches sorted out, but I thought we were going to hang onto that one...

Can't get Greg Holland here soon enough...

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Waino will be activated tomorrow and Start the home opener. Flaherty sent down. 

Dumb, but you kinda have to. 

Exactly.  I get why he would be frustrated, but I don't really see what the alternative is for the Cardinals.  It stinks sometimes, but that's the way it goes for young guys sometimes.