The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

7 games in and we have 1 quality start. Hope this trend doesn't continue or we're going to burn our our BP arms...

It wouldn't be baseball season without discussions of overusing our bullpen...or a few select members of the bullpen, at least.  I'm interested to see how it plays out as the season progresses.  Do you think the issue is more a matter of starters struggling?...or the Cardinals following the trend to shorten starts and get into the bullpen earlier?  It's probably some of both.  I guess I expected some of this coming into the season based on the investment they made in the bullpen over the offseason.  Even so, they're still overusing Bowman and underusing Mayers.

1 hour ago, tttmikeb said:

It wouldn't be baseball season without discussions of overusing our bullpen...or a few select members of the bullpen, at least.  I'm interested to see how it plays out as the season progresses.  Do you think the issue is more a matter of starters struggling?...or the Cardinals following the trend to shorten starts and get into the bullpen earlier?  It's probably some of both.  I guess I expected some of this coming into the season based on the investment they made in the bullpen over the offseason.  Even so, they're still overusing Bowman and underusing Mayers.

At this point, it's been the starters poor performances. It hasn't been where we've been pulling the starter after 4 innings of 1 run ball. 

We're looking at state lines of 3-4 IP and 3-5 runs being given up before we have to go to the pen...

At this point, it's been the starters poor performances. It hasn't been where we've been pulling the starter after 4 innings of 1 run ball. 

We're looking at state lines of 3-4 IP and 3-5 runs being given up before we have to go to the pen...

Gotcha.  Yeah, that's gotta get better.  I'd still like to see Matheny distribute those relief appearances more evenly, too.

Just now, tttmikeb said:

Gotcha.  Yeah, that's gotta get better.  I'd still like to see Matheny distribute those relief appearances more evenly, too.

Agreed, I think Maddux and MM are still trying to get a feel of where guys fit. Hope we get some more defined roles once Holland gets here and Gregerson coming back soon...

I hate the fact though that MM refuses to throw Mayers in any kind of non-blowout situation. Why is he even here?

6 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed, I think Maddux and MM are still trying to get a feel of where guys fit. Hope we get some more defined roles once Holland gets here and Gregerson coming back soon...

I hate the fact though that MM refuses to throw Mayers in any kind of non-blowout situation. Why is he even here?

Good point about Holland and Gregerson.  That'll help.  The question then becomes who gets sent down? I'd have to assume Mayers is the first to go (Totally agree with your point about him, btw.  Waste of a roster space, especially considering how good he looked in ST.).  After that, who's next?  Do any of the other guys besides Hicks have options?

2 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

Good point about Holland and Gregerson.  That'll help.  The question then becomes who gets sent down? I'd have to assume Mayers is the first to go (Totally agree with your point about him, btw.  Waste of a roster space, especially considering how good he looked in ST.).  After that, who's next?  Do any of the other guys besides Hicks have options?

Bowman is the only one currently up who still has options.

We're going to have some tough decisions to make.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:08 AM, tttmikeb said:

Exactly.  I get why he would be frustrated, but I don't really see what the alternative is for the Cardinals.  It stinks sometimes, but that's the way it goes for young guys sometimes.  

Yeah, unfortunately they're not going to keep Waino off the roster.  I'm sure Flaherty will be back on the roster sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What the hell happened between the Diamondbacks manager and Yadi?

Audio from the Arizona broadcast of the game appeared to reveal that Lovullo told Timmons that he could not continue to let Molina turn "balls into strikes." He said that phrase several times. He also seemed to direct a vulgarity at Molina's work behind the plate -- one that could also apply to an individual as well as an adjective. Molina walked toward Lovullo at that time, yelling at him from behind the mask.

but ya know, Molina is a dirty player. 

12 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

but ya know, Molina is a dirty player. 

No surprise that Lovullo said an expletive toward Yadi. 

You could see Yadi was keeping his cool and just letting Lovullo point at him and talk about the call. Then all the sudden he heard something and went off. Figured Lovullo said something uncalled for directly at Yadi...

No surprise that Lovullo said an expletive toward Yadi. 

You could see Yadi was keeping his cool and just letting Lovullo point at him and talk about the call. Then all the sudden he heard something and went off. Figured Lovullo said something uncalled for directly at Yadi...

I believe I saw that Lovullo called him a f#$%er multiple times.  It's obvious why Yadi got heated.