The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Except this would be Selling, whole different ball game than us almost getting a guy

I'd make the argument it's re-tooling, and based on Mo's comments it seems they've shifted their eyes from 2018 to 2019.  They're not trading for anyone who is a rental.  They want control through at least next year.  I do think Norris gets dealt, because quite frankly there's no reason to hold onto him.  But I don't think a Martinez deal materializes.

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Ozuna has been on fire the last few games, that’s great to see. Crazy what a little head shift can do. 

For those that don’t know, Buddha (new hitting coach) suggested to Ozuna that he needed to turn his head so he could see the pitches with both eyes.

Buddha: “Marcell, using your eyes is important to hitting.”

Mabry: “lulz idk Marcell, try pretending you’re pinch hitting.”

16 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Hopefully doesn't include Archer.

Why wouldnt you want Archer?

Regardless, while its probably not the return most wanted, I think its good that we have moved on from Pham. Its one thing to have that chip on your shouolder when you are balling out like last year, but when you regress like he has, you just become a malcontent whining for a new contract.

I was a big Pham supporter, but with all the talent we have available at CF now, he becomes redundant and about to hit Arbitration, let someone else deal with it, and going to Tampa keeps him out of our hair ging forward.

Williams seems like an interesting Bat from the Left side, and some people really really like Cabrera. Two Top 20ish prospects from arguably the deepest farm systems in the league isnt the worst return for 2018 Tommy Pham

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Why wouldnt you want Archer?

Regardless, while its probably not the return most wanted, I think its good that we have moved on from Pham. Its one thing to have that chip on your shouolder when you are balling out like last year, but when you regress like he has, you just become a malcontent whining for a new contract.

I was a big Pham supporter, but with all the talent we have available at CF now, he becomes redundant and about to hit Arbitration, let someone else deal with it, and going to Tampa keeps him out of our hair ging forward.

Williams seems like an interesting Bat from the Left side, and some people really really like Cabrera. Two Top 20ish prospects from arguably the deepest farm systems in the league isnt the worst return for 2018 Tommy Pham

I'm not a fan of pitchers with ace hype but only two pitches. He a solid guy, but will never be worth what they want.

Ridding Pham for this package reeks of a desperation move. While I like the idea of getting O'Neil in the lineup, I can't help but think were getting rid of another player that will flourish else where. Kind of tired of seeing this happen.

3 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Kind of tired of seeing this happen.

Flourish? Im not sure who you think has done that? Because it hasnt been Piscotty or Grichuck. They have been exactly what we knew they were, and that wasnt nearly enough to get this team into contention.

Wow, shocked at the Pham deal. Didn't think we'd deal him just because of the control he still had, even with arbitration.

Glad to see it though. We had to move on from one of our current three veteran OFs. I expected it to be Dexter though in the offseason, and that still could happen...

Haven't had a chance to dig into the return yet, but from hearing 1st reports sounds like an ok return. Nothing great. After the season Pham has put up in 2018, wasn't expecting a great return anyway...

We should now see O'Neill up here and playing consistently now...

16 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Flourish? Im not sure who you think has done that? Because it hasnt been Piscotty or Grichuck. They have been exactly what we knew they were, and that wasnt nearly enough to get this team into contention.

Agreed. I don't think Pham's 2017 numbers are indicative of who he is. Just one of those massive seasons you see from a relatively league average player every once in a while...

I really liked Pham, but I think he's shown in 2018 what you can expect from him as an everyday CF over 145+ games. Plus. His defense in CF drastically fell off this year. Looking at trends in baseball show that majority of CFs have a steep decline in defensive metrics after 30-31 years of age...

I can't really remember the last guy traded off that went on to thrive? I know Gonzales has been a stud this year, but no real track record there. Need to see it for another year before I submit that one.

I guess it would be Kyle Barraclaugh, but he was more of a prospect still and not really highly regarded by anyone...

Edited by kgarrett12486

6 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Hopefully more moves are coming. Hoping Norris goes soon...

I think Norris is sure thing to be moved either today or on waivers.

BTW, with all the BP FA and trade fails we've had recently, this one deserves some praise. We basically signed him off the scrap heap for peanuts. He was our best/most consistent BP piece all year and excelled. We're now likely going to move him for some asset...

Well done...