The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What would we do with Carp if we re-sign Goldy and get Arrenando? He might not even leave, the Rox seem like they're maybe trending upwards.

Carp is going to be 35 years old by the start of the 2020 season. Unless something happens, I think I'd be ok with the team not taking on his Club option ($18.5 million) and letting him hit the open market. 

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Goold was saying today he doesn't think we're going to make it to final table for Harper. Says we'll do our due diligence and if the market shrunk, we could jump in truly.

He mentioned that the FO loves Nolan Arrenado and he thinks this will be our superstar FA target next offseason. Thinks we can go after Arenado and sign either Goldy or Ozuna.

Yeah.  I'd probably make the argument that we're more opportunistic in regards to Harper.  Definitely seems the Cardinals' FO prefers Arenado to Harper all things considered.  But I'd argue there's a ton of teams who would feel the same way.

17 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Goold tweeted that the Cardinals have discussed bringing back Daniel Descalso. I just have no interest in that reunion. 

The memes would be fun. Very lukewarm on anything else, though. I know he's left handed, but I'd rather just use Gyorko or Munoz as the UTL guy and sign a bigger bat from the left side.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:59 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

Carp is going to be 35 years old by the start of the 2020 season. Unless something happens, I think I'd be ok with the team not taking on his Club option ($18.5 million) and letting him hit the open market. 

Carp would have to have a year like last year without the Aug/Sep dip for us to pick up that option. 

He might be worth tht money with a lesser year, but he is now hindering the roster makeup more than he was helping it a few years ago (assuming we resign Goldschmidt)

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

What Relievers are out there that excite you guys?

What a good year to need RPs. The market is saturated.

Andrew Miller, Zach Britton, David Robertson, Joe Kelly, Justin Wilson, Kelvin Herrera, Adam Warren, Dan Jennings, Alex Wilson, Cody Allen, Blake Parker, Daniel Hudson, Matt Bush, Hunter Strickland, AJ Ramos.

All names I’m intrigued by.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’d take Britton without hesitation. Miller would be blah. 

Depends on what either is looking for. I like a Miller as a bounce back. He had a lot of innings put on his arm in 2015-2017. Injury and fatigue were due.

Might take less years and AAV to get him, which is always good for RPs...