The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

On 12/14/2018 at 8:44 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Sucks. He had a chance to debut at some point this year. Not anymore...

First off, I have to give credit to him.  He took responsibility and that shows a TON of maturity on his behalf.  Secondly, I'm more disappointed what this could have done in terms of his development.  This puts him out until late-ish summer.

Well, my yearly offseason optimism is back. I’m pretty excited about this team. Obviously, we need a few more moves but I think we’re in a very good spot. This is probably naivety but I expect a bounce back year from Dex. I kind of like this Drew Johnson fellow. I know he seems pretty comfortably below average, but I could see some devil magic for him.

Also, I didn’t want to make two posts so I’ll just do one giant one. Don’t the advanced stats say that the 2 and 4 hitters are more valuable than the 3? If so, wouldn’t a lineup of Carp - Goldy - Dex - Ozuna be pretty strong? Good OBP Guy, then a power guy, OBP, power. Good balance between left and right handed hitters. This all hinges on Dex returning to form, and the Cards not making another big move. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Well, my yearly offseason optimism is back. I’m pretty excited about this team. Obviously, we need a few more moves but I think we’re in a very good spot. This is probably naivety but I expect a bounce back year from Dex. I kind of like this Drew Johnson fellow. I know he seems pretty comfortably below average, but I could see some devil magic for him.

Also, I didn’t want to make two posts so I’ll just do one giant one. Don’t the advanced stats say that the 2 and 4 hitters are more valuable than the 3? If so, wouldn’t a lineup of Carp - Goldy - Dex - Ozuna be pretty strong? Good OBP Guy, then a power guy, OBP, power. Good balance between left and right handed hitters. This all hinges on Dex returning to form, and the Cards not making another big move. 

I'm in the same boat on Fowler. I've said it here before, his foot issue he dealt with is same one that plagued David Ortiz over a period and really affected his numbers. I think Dex can bounce back and be closer to 2017 than 2018, if he's truly healthy.

I'm honestly not sure what Drew Robinson is. Be interesting to see him in spring...

Also, I could be wrong here, but I thought the correlation with putting your best hitter in the 2 spot was that the data showed he was more likely to get more ABs per game, especially in later innings...

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

LIS, I don't believe it but there is precedent for it.  The Space Jam 2 trailer was supposed to come out when LeBron announced he was going to the Lakers.

Also, Vegas put the Cards back on the board today at 5-1 odds for Harper. That's 3rd behind Phillies and White Sox. Vegas odds makers have their sources as well.

@CWood21 is getting everyone's hopes up!

17 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Also, Vegas put the Cards back on the board today at 5-1 odds for Harper. That's 3rd behind Phillies and White Sox. Vegas odds makers have their sources as well.

@CWood21 is getting everyone's hopes up!

I heard the Phils didn't meet with him in Vegas. The reporter said that was strange if they were actually in on him. I think we're going to get him.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I heard the Phils didn't meet with him in Vegas. The reporter said that was strange if they were actually in on him. I think we're going to get him.

But wouldnt the same line of thinking also apply to us? Yet you (and I and many others) still believe we are in on Harper...

Alot of this seems like chess moves against Boras, not against Harper himself. Teams have been being pushed around by this guy for a decade with his tactics (massive public contract demands for one) and now Front Offices seem to be playing their own game instead.

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

But wouldnt the same line of thinking also apply to us? Yet you (and I and many others) still believe we are in on Harper...

Alot of this seems like chess moves against Boras, not against Harper himself. Teams have been being pushed around by this guy for a decade with his tactics (massive public contract demands for one) and now Front Offices seem to be playing their own game instead.

I thought we did meet with him? I thought I saw that, but I may be wrong on that. Maybe I just convinced myself we did because I want him so much lol

2 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

So is this just typically Boras posturing? This seems like its taking forever. He did the same stunt with JD. Though the initial thought was clubs were saving up for this year.

Possibly.  But the problem is all the large market teams (CHC, NYY, BOS, etc.) have all been unusually quiet on the Harper/Machado front.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Possibly.  But the problem is all the large market teams (CHC, NYY, BOS, etc.) have all been unusually quiet on the Harper/Machado front.

Yeah this honestly feels like when the Angels signed Albert last minute when they weren't even in consideration for him.