The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Heard an interesting take on this market from guy who writes for bizball (can't remember his name). He said he thinks teams are being contentious of handing out longer year deals, even to superstars because thought around owners and FOs are the impending work stoppage in 2022.

He spoke with several anonymous owners and GMs who thought it is enivitably going to happen.

Teams with analytic FOs are forecasting this and don't want to be tied to a a massive deal when they could loose revenue for a strike. They also are looking at the revenue lost in the seasons ensuing a strike. It took baseball 4 years after to recover from the last strike and that was due to the help of Sosa/McGuire. Could take even longer next time...

Interesting to think about...

32 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I hope so and hope it was just the injury because he was pretty bad last year.

Yep, he was. He dealt with 3 separate injuries (knee, hamstring and shoulder impingement) essentially all year though and limited his innings...

I think 2018 was an outlier, if he's healthy I think he's exactly what we need. Look at his 2016 and 2017 numbers, he was amazing...

Hopefully the terms make sense...

Edited by kgarrett12486

Love the signing. And it’s only 2 years so we’re not eating a contract, like we’ll most likely be doing with Cecil. Speaking of Cecil...this is gotta be the end for him right? Shreve and Miller in the Pen, can’t imagine they carry a third guy down there. 

Be interesting to see how they set up this Closer role. Is Alex Reyes a real possibility? Are they just going to throw Hicks in that role from day one? 

50 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Love the signing. And it’s only 2 years so we’re not eating a contract, like we’ll most likely be doing with Cecil. Speaking of Cecil...this is gotta be the end for him right? Shreve and Miller in the Pen, can’t imagine they carry a third guy down there. 

Be interesting to see how they set up this Closer role. Is Alex Reyes a real possibility? Are they just going to throw Hicks in that role from day one? 

Maybe they’ll go away from the traditional closer? 

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I think Cecil gets a clean slate heading into spring. If he pitches decent, I think he'll be on this team. The money is definitely a factor.

Shreve isn't a lock IMO. There were some insiders who thought he might get non tendered at beginning of the offseason. He really wasn't good for us.

He put a lot of guys on base for a loogy and lefties hit him hard in his time here.

He's got the most uphill battle IMO.

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm not sure that Cecil gets yanked just yet.  He's still due another $14.5M over the next two years.  At this point, some combination of Andrew Miller, Jordan Hicks, Alex reyes, and Dakota Hudson figure to make some sort of 7/8/9 combination.  I'd assume the closer gig will be between Jordan Hicks and Andrew Miller.  Miller probably has the edge given his history.

44 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think Cecil gets a clean slate heading into spring. If he pitches decent, I think he'll be on this team. The money is definitely a factor.

Shreve isn't a lock IMO. There were some insiders who thought he might get non tendered at beginning of the offseason. He really wasn't good for us.

He put a lot of guys on base for a loogy and lefties hit him hard in his time here.

He's got the most uphill battle IMO.

Agreed.  See little to no chance of the Cardinals eating Cecil's contract at this point.  $14.5M over the next 2 years is probably too much.  IF they decide to move on, they're going to attach him to a player they've soured on.  Think the Colby Rasmus trade.