The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

17 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

what the hell is this trade Jack Flaherty nonsense on social media?

It was started by a local sports radio show here in STL. They brought up the idea of trading Flaherty for Arenando. Then it became about his tweeting and the message he's sending. Some think he may be too outspoken for the organization (ala Tommy Pham) and that he wants to stick it to the owners, so his next contract will be too rich for us. They think it may be better to trade him and get a return 1 year prior to his contract ending...

If he continues to ascend and pitch like he's capable of, we all know he's going to get a Gerrit Cole type deal and rightfully so. As long as he's not breaking the law or going against morale fiber, I could care less what his personal views are. I'm not trading him for anything short of an absolute guaranteed ransom and that would only be with the caveat that he publicly comes out and says he's not re-signing here. Anything short of that, I'm sticking with him, as a guy who will still be in the peak of his prime at his next deal and a bonafide ace and likely top 5 pitcher in all of baseball are a needle in a haystack. They're too special to move on from... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It was started by a local sports radio show here in STL. They brought up the idea of trading Flaherty for Arenando. Then it became about his tweeting and the message he's sending. Some think he may be too outspoken for the organization (ala Tommy Pham) and that he wants to stick it to the owners, so his next contract will be too rich for us. They think it may be better to trade him and get a return 1 year prior to his contract ending...

If he continues to ascend and pitch like he's capable of, we all know he's going to get a Gerrit Cole type deal and rightfully so. As long as he's not breaking the law or going against morale fiber, I could care less what his personal views are. I'm not trading him for anything short of an absolute guaranteed ransom and that would only be with the caveat that he publicly comes out and says he's not re-signing here. Anything short of that, I'm sticking with him, as a guy who will still be in the peak of his prime at his next deal and a bonafide ace and likely top 5 pitcher in all of baseball are a needle in a haystack. They're too special to move on from... 

People get butt-hurt way to easily now a days. 

Done with grumpy fans complaining about players voicing their opinions. Doesn't surprise me that people want to trade Flaherty, probably the same group of people that wanted to trade him last year when they didn't like his attitude on the mound lol

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 9:27 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

I'd probably put Montero, Fletcher and Winn above Oviedo. I think Oviedo is being a bit overrated in our system. I mean he has an above average fastball and he's definitely got a big frame. But other than that, what is there really to like? He can't throw his secondary pitchers for strikes so his walk-rate will always be high. I don't know, I just need to see it from him more consistently, not just for a few months in the pitcher friendly Florida State League. 

Also, if he can stay healthy, I'm expecting a huge bounce back whenever they do play from Elehuris Montero. 

I think you're under-selling Oviedo a bit there.  Especially with how bad Montero was last year.  You're really just hoping that Oviedo can find some control, because the arm is dynamic.  At the very least, he's going to pitch out of the bullpen at some point.  Kinda think what Eduardo Sanchez was years ago.  Dynamic arm with serious control issues as a floor for him.  Montero is a 1B/DH type, and he really struggled albeit largely because of injuries.  Fletcher and Winn are balls of clay at best, and too raw.

17 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Didn't he say something along the lines of that he wasn't agreeing to a pre-FA deal?

Levi Prater has signed.  That brings the Cardinals to 3 of 7, and they apparently have a deal in place with Ian Beddel.

1(21) - 3B Jordan Walker - Unsigned ($3,132,300)
2(54) - SS/RHP Masyn Wynn - Unsigned ($1,338,500)
2(63) - RHP Tink Hence - Unsigned ($1,076,300)
2(70) - 1B Alec Burleson - $700,000 ($906,800)
3(93) - RHP Levi Prater - $575,000 ($627,900)
4(122) - RHP Ian Beddel - Unsigned ($469,000)
5(152) - OF LJ Jones - $100,000 ($350,000)

Right now, the Cardinals have $509,700 in saved money from their current signings.  Mozeliak has been allowed to go up to 5% in overages without giving up draft picks, so they still have roughly an extra $904,725 to play with.  The Cardinals have never gone over slot with their FRP, so I'd imagine that Walker signs for that $3.132M his slot is assigned.  If the Cardinals were getting Beddel at slot or below slot, the deal would have been announced as they don't usually sign their bonus babies early.  Masyn Wynn and Tink Hence are probably both going to come in over slot.  I'm guessing Beddel will get around 600k, so that would lave about 750k to play with in order to get Hence and Wynn done.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Sounds like we're going to get 60 games (assuming no further set-backs). Going to feature a ton of NL Central and AL Central games for us...

Are they having regular 26-man rosters or are they expanding them any? Will be interesting to see if Carlson makes the team now that there's a DH

31 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Are they having regular 26-man rosters or are they expanding them any? Will be interesting to see if Carlson makes the team now that there's a DH

Good question, as the proposal called for an expanded offer, but since MLBPA shot it down and MLB is now enacting it's right to force a season, I wonder if it still applies?

I would assume they would have some sort of expanded roster just given that they'll have to have a back-up plan in place in case there is a positive test during season. It's not like they can just shuttle these guys between AAA and MLB like they have in past...

Side note; how stupid is it going to be that we're going to have a universal DH for this shortened season, but then go back to no  universal DH for 2021 and then likely a universal DH going forward with a new collective bargaining agreement (assuming it's ever reached)...

9 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Good question, as the proposal called for an expanded offer, but since MLBPA shot it down and MLB is now enacting it's right to force a season, I wonder if it still applies?

I would assume they would have some sort of expanded roster just given that they'll have to have a back-up plan in place in case there is a positive test during season. It's not like they can just shuttle these guys between AAA and MLB like they have in past...

Side note; how stupid is it going to be that we're going to have a universal DH for this shortened season, but then go back to no  universal DH for 2021 and then likely a universal DH going forward with a new collective bargaining agreement (assuming it's ever reached)...

I thought the Universal DH was for two seasons. Did I read that wrong?

59 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Universal DH is dumb all the way around. Kills the strategy of the game.

I've come around quite a bit on this subject. 5-8 years ago I hated the thought of a DH in the National League. But now, I really just want both the leagues to have the same set of rules. It's retarded that they have a DH for one league but not for the other. And seeing as they'll never get rid of the DH in the American League, we might as well adapt to the change. As excited as we all get for the "strategy" that is involved with a pitcher hitting 9th, we all probably get just as pissed off, probably even more often when we got runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out and the pitcher coming up to kill the rally. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 1:30 PM, twslhs20 said:

Universal DH is dumb all the way around. Kills the strategy of the game.

Strong Disagree

No longer giving the other team basically an automatic out 2 or 3 times a game actually ups the strategy needed. 

You still have the strategy of bunt (dumb), hit an run, etc. but now with 9 actual hitters.

The like 3 times a year we are surprised by a Pitcher putting one out isnt worth giving up an actual hitter for an entire season

• Like 1