The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

3 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

Bernie Miklasz brought up an interesting question today on his radio show.  Does Leake struggling so bad (along with some concerns about Reyes' and/or Waino's health) create a situation where trying to re-sign Lynn may actually make sense?  I've basically considered it a foregone conclusion that Lynn is gone, and I still think that's highly likely.  But, at this point, I'd rather have Lynn than Leake.  I don't know what you'd do with his contract, though.

Things would have to go incredibly sour between now and the start of the offseason for the Cardinals to re-sign Lance Lynn.  Like @StLunatic88 alluded to, Carlos Martinez is your ace and Wainwright and Leake both have NTC so they're pretty much a lock for the rotation as well.  The last two spots likely come down to Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver, and Alex Reyes.  And that doesn't even include Jack Flaherty who could push for a rotation spot.  I just don't see a reason to invest long term into Lynn, and it's far more likely they offer him the QO and take the draft pick when he signs elsewhere.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We insist on keeping 8 BP arms on the roster, yet Bowman leads MLB in appearances and Cecil is in the top 5 as well...

Matheny has these two marked as his next crop to run into the ground...

Seriously.  It continues to astound me how we do this every year.  I don't get it.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Things would have to go incredibly sour between now and the start of the offseason for the Cardinals to re-sign Lance Lynn.  Like @StLunatic88 alluded to, Carlos Martinez is your ace and Wainwright and Leake both have NTC so they're pretty much a lock for the rotation as well.  The last two spots likely come down to Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver, and Alex Reyes.  And that doesn't even include Jack Flaherty who could push for a rotation spot.  I just don't see a reason to invest long term into Lynn, and it's far more likely they offer him the QO and take the draft pick when he signs elsewhere.

Oh, I agree with both of you.  I still see the QO as the most likely scenario.  Maybe it's just me hoping to keep Lynn and his postgame interviews around. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm really not a fan of throwing Reyes in to the rotation next year. 

I'm not sure anyone is implying that they're just going to throw Reyes into the rotation.  Even asking 150 IP out of him next year might be too much to ask.  Probably a situation like Stephen Strasburg a few years ago when they let him pitch until he hits a certain threshold, and then shut him down for the year.  And with built in off-days, you can skip him to spread him out throughout the season.  They did something similar with Michael Wacha this year, and he's roughly 20 IP behind both Lance Lynn and Mike Leake.

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Huge loss right there...

No idea what happened with Rosie, but something clearly wasn't right with him, his FB was hitting 91 mph. He can't go out there in that situation. Not really sure who to blame, but someone had to pick up on that during his warm up in the Pen no? 

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

No idea what happened with Rosie, but something clearly wasn't right with him, his FB was hitting 91 mph. He can't go out there in that situation. Not really sure who to blame, but someone had to pick up on that during his warm up in the Pen no? 

As you eluded to...

Trevor Rosenthal will be examined by the Cardinals' medical staff for renewed tightness in his right arm.

Rosenthal was pulled from a save chance Wednesday night against the Red Sox after giving up a homer and a walk to the first two batters he faced. His fastball velocity was way down and Cardinals manager Mike Matheny noted in his postgame press conference that "something didn't look right." 

18 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'm really not a fan of throwing Reyes in to the rotation next year. 

He is a starting pitcher, he needs to be in the rotation, dont be messing around with him.

As CWood (and his sweet new Avy) pointed out, if you want an Innings Limit on him, fine. There are ways to do that, you just make sure to monitor him. But to change who he is fundamentally as a Pitcher when coming off of TJ surgery would be the wrong way to go about it.

• Like 1

I know we are all of the sudden in the thick of it, but I continue to watch the Minor League reports, and see what is happening on the big league team and keep wondering what happens with all these average to above average guys we have. Who are the starters? Is anyone moved out? Do we add another bat in Free Agency? 

My question is, who would you guys move on from for the 2018 season?

1. Matt Carpenter
  2. Kolten Wong
  3. Aledmys Diaz
  4. Stephen Piscotty
  5. Dexter Fowler
  6. Tommy Pham
  7. Jedd Gyorko
  8. Carson Kelly
  9. Paul DeJong
  10. Randall Grichuck

Add in Yadi, and that 11 guys for 8 spots. And if we are able to add a bat in the offseason, that means we have to "move on" (i.e. Trade, send to the minors, come off the bench) from 4 of these guys.

For my money, I would move on from Carpenter and Gyorko without even thinking twice. But i would also get what we can for Grichuck and move on (Adams situation) and Honestly I think if Mo were being truthful, he would take back that Fowler contract if he could.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I know we are all of the sudden in the thick of it, but I continue to watch the Minor League reports, and see what is happening on the big league team and keep wondering what happens with all these average to above average guys we have. Who are the starters? Is anyone moved out? Do we add another bat in Free Agency? 

My question is, who would you guys move on from for the 2018 season?

1. Matt Carpenter
  2. Kolten Wong
  3. Aledmys Diaz
  4. Stephen Piscotty
  5. Dexter Fowler
  6. Tommy Pham
  7. Jedd Gyorko
  8. Carson Kelly
  9. Paul DeJong
  10. Randall Grichuck

Add in Yadi, and that 11 guys for 8 spots. And if we are able to add a bat in the offseason, that means we have to "move on" (i.e. Trade, send to the minors, come off the bench) from 4 of these guys.

For my money, I would move on from Carpenter and Gyorko without even thinking twice. But i would also get what we can for Grichuck and move on (Adams situation) and Honestly I think if Mo were being truthful, he would take back that Fowler contract if he could.

I wouldn't really complicate things. Diaz is a bench player until proven otherwise. He's been playing 2B and 3B in the minors to show his versatility. And I think one of Pham or Piscotty are gone in the offseason. I would love to move Grichuk but I just think the front office likes him to much, I still think they see a 30+ home run guy. And Carson Kelly isn't going to be really competing for anything as long as Yadi is here. Wouldn't be shocked to see him traded for a MOTOB. 

Can the Cardinals afford to move on from Carpenter or Gyorko? 

The one bat I could see them making a run at in free agency is Eric Hosmer, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. He would definitely come in and inject some life in this team, but I feel he's a tad overrated and would cost a boat load. Think thats the only way we move on from Carp. 

Edited by holt_bruce81