The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

I saw some talk of not including Edman in trade packages because Winn won’t be ready by next year. I don’t think it’s crazy to think Winn could be the everyday SS next year. His numbers are improving every month in Memphis as a 21 year old. We know his defense is already there. 

The Blue Jays have acquired left-hander Génesis Cabrera from the Cardinals, reports Katie Woo of The Athletic. The Cards had designated Cabrera for assignment earlier this week. In exchange, the Cards received minor league catcher Sammy Hernandez.

For now, they will add Hernandez, a 19-year-old catcher. He was selected by the Jays in the 14th round of last year’s draft and has been playing in the lower levels of their farm system. He’s hit .213/.287/.367 in 42 games across two different levels this year. He hasn’t generally been considered one of the club’s top 30 prospects.

Knew this move was likely coming once we DFA'd him. As expected, we get a lottery ticket.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I saw some talk of not including Edman in trade packages because Winn won’t be ready by next year. I don’t think it’s crazy to think Winn could be the everyday SS next year. His numbers are improving every month in Memphis as a 21 year old. We know his defense is already there. 

If Winn were hitting better in AAA, I probably would agree.  But he's at 93 wRC+ right now, which is slightly below-average.  I just don't see any value forcing the issue, especially if the Cardinals think they're a deadline and an offseason away from contending.  We can assume he'll be ready, or let him force the issue when the time comes.  LIS, I think there's 2 options you have.  You either deal Edman at the deadline and get a pretty strong haul for him, and rely on DeJong and then try and re-sign DeJong in the offseason after his option is declined.  Or you deal DeJong, and depending on how Masyn Winn develops over the final half of the season and let him force the issue.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If Winn were hitting better in AAA, I probably would agree.  But he's at 93 wRC+ right now, which is slightly below-average.  I just don't see any value forcing the issue, especially if the Cardinals think they're a deadline and an offseason away from contending.  We can assume he'll be ready, or let him force the issue when the time comes.  LIS, I think there's 2 options you have.  You either deal Edman at the deadline and get a pretty strong haul for him, and rely on DeJong and then try and re-sign DeJong in the offseason after his option is declined.  Or you deal DeJong, and depending on how Masyn Winn develops over the final half of the season and let him force the issue.

He kind of is forcing the issue right now isn’t he? He’s hitting over .300 since May 1st with 22 XB Hits. 

I know we stink, but there have been some bright spots. Walker and Gorman look like they belong(hopefully Gorman can correct the streakiness). I am also growing more comfortable with Contreras. I think he and Herrera will form a really good catching team next year. Noot’s on base skills have been as advertised I’d say. Donovan looks like he’s on track to be prime Carpenter. Unfortunately the lows have been a lot lower.

• Like 3

Thankfully we are still a bad team and showed it this weekend. Didn’t need the sunshine pumpers trying to rally in the ARZ series. 

If Jack or Monty pitch again before they are traded that would be managing malpractice. I’d say the same thing about Hicks, but I know they can’t help themselves 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know we stink, but there have been some bright spots. Walker and Gorman look like they belong(hopefully Gorman can correct the streakiness). I am also growing more comfortable with Contreras. I think he and Herrera will form a really good catching team next year. Noot’s on base skills have been as advertised I’d say. Donovan looks like he’s on track to be prime Carpenter. Unfortunately the lows have been a lot lower.

I think Gorman is always going to be a streaky hitter, he's had similar traits going back through the minors.. Hopefully, we just don't see the extended streak (like we saw this year in that he basically was non-facor for the whole month of June) continue moving forward. I love what he brings though, especially now that we've seen his defense continue to improve at 2B and he's capable of at least being league average there and able to throw in some highlight defensive plays as well. He's got way more range than we were led to believe from his scouting reports on his defense. That is a huge boost to his value in that he's not relegated to just the DH role at the MLB level. I really hope we can hang onto him, as it's really hard to find LH batters (with legit 30+ HR power) who are middle of the order hitters.

Agree on Contreras. He's been just about as advertised offensively (especially after the horrid start to the season). The power hasn't been what I thought, but I can see that fluctuating year/year with him. We all knew the defense wasn't good when we signed him, but not sure we knew it was to this degree. I think we know he's not going to normalize out on the pitch framing, but hoping he can be a little betetr with the blocking next year with some work. He's also been right around his career norm in throwing out runners. He's a guy that I think could be primed for a big 2024 season with a full off-season here (no WBC interferance). 

I'm really not sure what the plan is with Herrera. His defense and command of the staff has been better than anticipated in the small sample size and his bat has been playing, but does the bat las or is he more in the Knizner mold? I'm skeptical on Herrera's bat long term. I still see him as one of our most valuable trade chips heading into the off-season though. Be curious to see if they do move on from Knizner and hand Herrera that role of essentially the defensive catcher for 2024. IMO, I think we're more likely to run it back with Knizner (I really think this organization likes how he's developed with the defense and command of the staff) as the alternate and Herrera to be dealt. 

I gotta admit, I was wrong on Nootbaar. I really thought his ceiling was a 4th outfielder long-term, even after his 2022 second half showing. He legit looks like a guy who can be a table setter in a good line-up. However, I'm not sure why (if the reports are true) he is veiwed as basically untouchable in trades. Don't get me wrong, his ability to get on base at a high clip, his base running and defensive versatility are valuable, but to that level? I wouldn't hesitate to trade him as a headliner for a quality young cost controlled SP. IMO, it's much easier to find that type of OF than that SP.  

Donny not being able to throw at all right now sucks and I'm wondering if they should just go ahead and shut him down at this point to let the elbow heal fully. He's such a valuable piece and big part of the future for this team. He's about as elite as it comes with getting on-base. His added power this year has been a pleasant addition as well. I don't think the pwoer projects to be a preime Matt carpenter (who was a legit 20+ HR guy for his run), but i'll take the 10-15 he's likely to hit. 

• Like 1

Poor Wainwright. He actually throws 5 innings to qualify for the win and exits with the elad, only for the BP to implode. At this point, if they want to get him to 200 wins, they might have to pitch him out of the BP to get there. I don't think he has the gas/stuff to go 5 innings consistently. 

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

Poor Wainwright. He actually throws 5 innings to qualify for the win and exits with the elad, only for the BP to implode. At this point, if they want to get him to 200 wins, they might have to pitch him out of the BP to get there. I don't think he has the gas/stuff to go 5 innings consistently. 

Its almost for sure what will need to happen. Let him get innings 4/5/6 of a Hudson start or whatever

No one is going to remember how he got to 200, just that he hits the number

• Like 1

Most of the trade speculation about Cardinals pitching has focused on Jack Flaherty and Jordan Montgomery, but Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that an unknown American League club has considered acquiring Steven Matz.  The mystery team would use Matz as “rotation insurance or bullpen upgrade.”  Matz is still owed the remainder of his $10MM salary for 2023 as well as $24MM in 2024-25, and it seems like the Cardinals would have to eat a good chunk of that money to accommodate a deal.  Matz has struggled in both years of his original four-year, $44MM contract with St. Louis, but after losing his rotation job earlier this season, he has pitched considerably better since a move to the bullpen and a recent return to the starting five.  Matz has a 2.93 ERA over his last 30 2/3 innings and 11 appearances.

Katie Woo reports we're planning to hang onto Tyler O'Neill per her sources, unless they are 'blown away' by an offer...

😂😂

If this is the case, I owe @CWood21 an apology, as the FO legit believes he's going to rebuild some value. Call me skeptical on this, but it appears to be the plan.

Edited by kgarrett12486
  • Like 1