The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Stove went from cool to red hot. Passan is reporting that we sent Monty and Stratton to the Rangers. 

Saggese, Roby, and King. Saggese looks like a Cardinals Special super utility guy. Roby should be ready soon, but I don’t know much about him.

Im far from an expert, but I’m pleased with the moves so far. I like both guys we got back from the Jays and I think Roby and Saggy from the Rangers are good gets. We lost two months of Hicks, Monty, and Stratton and gained 3 quality pitchers that should be able to make quick impacts and a  utility IF guy with really good power potential. I think we still move Jack and maybe Edman. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Passan is reporting Robberse and Kloffenstein. As the return. That’s a freaking  haul for a rental. I don’t know how good the Jays farm system is, but we got their #7 and a guy that was top 5 a couple years ago and is only 22. 

I wouldn't really call it a haul, but it's a very solid return for a guy who was going to walk as a FA at the end of the year.  Robberse is a guy you can project to be a solid BOR arm who should be able to go 5 innings and keep offenses honest.  Not sure there's any real upside in this package, but that's what you expect out of rentals.

Saggese, Roby, and King. Saggese looks like a Cardinals Special super utility guy. Roby should be ready soon, but I don’t know much about him.

The Montgomery returns looks more promising.  But it's amazing the difference that FanGraphs and MLB.co have on Roby.  FanGraphs has Roby as the Rangers' 5th best prospect while MLB.com has him at 11.  Agreed on the Saggese part, but I'm hoping that Roby has more upside in that.

Im far from an expert, but I’m pleased with the moves so far. I like both guys we got back from the Jays and I think Roby and Saggy from the Rangers are good gets. We lost two months of Hicks, Monty, and Stratton and gained 3 quality pitchers that should be able to make quick impacts and a  utility IF guy with really good power potential. I think we still move Jack and maybe Edman. 

DeJong and Flaherty are the only other pieces we're dealing IMO.

Pretty happy with the returns so far, although I had my hopes up that we went all in for a guy like Gilbert. Should've known better.

Really hope we pay up to get Hicks back in the offseason, but that's probably also something I shouldn't get my hopes up for. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Should make @StLunatic88 happy.

It would be the only good thing to come out of this deadline thus far

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Mo doesn’t know what he’s doing…

You guys are happy with these returns? Seriously? You think these are helping us get better in 2024? How about 2025? Maaaaybe 2026...

We got a couple of middling arms from Toronto, who at their best are like another Pallante, and thats being generous right now. And then the only actual intriguing piece we pulled so far was shut down for a Shoulder Injury?? The thing that has completely derailed Jack Flaherty... Oh sorry, maybe we got another Pete Kozma too.

These are quite underwhelming regardless of what our 2024 plan is. If we truly want to compete next year, none of these guys actually help that. And if we were looking to flip them to improve the team in other offseason trades, these pieces are nothing more than throw ins to most teams. The upside of everyone we got so far is so limited other than Roby who has the bad shoulder.

Im not at all expecting Gilbert type hauls, but its crazy to me that we didnt go after younger guys with higher upside than just borderline bullpen arms.

We had massive storm on Saturday here, so have been without power/internet until late last night, so just getting a chance to see the returns from our trades and read up some more on the prospects. My thoughts.

Sem Robberse - FanGraphs #6 in Toronto system. Looks like he's maxed out physically, so probably don't project his FB to get any higher than the 91-94 range it's sitting at now. He has really good command of it though. Slider looks like his secondary pitch and has really good command of that too. Has a change-up as his final offering and this might be his best pitch, but he's still llearning the feel of it. It's nasty against lefties. He probably slots in as a #4-5 starter. Looked really good in the futures game.

Adam Kloffenstein - Huge frame and looks like he could be a workhorse type. Has a low-mid 90's sinker that generates high GB percentage. Can run his FB up to 97. Has added a cutter this year too that jas increased his strikeouts. The change-up and curveball are still works in progress. if he cotninues to put it together another BOR starter, but abaility to eat innings.  

Tekoah Roby - Fangraphs #5 in Texas system. He's got a smaller frame for a starter, but his FB has really good late life/movement. Has 4 pitches he can throw for strikes. The quality of the pitches vary depending on what sites you look at; some say none of the 4 may be above average, while some suggest all 4 could eventually be plus pitches if he refines the command. Biggest issue with him seems to be that he's had (2) arm injuries already as a pro. if he stays healthy though, he could be a #3 type, or at worst a potential closer candidate. 

Thomas Saggese - All this kid does is hit. He's really punishes breaking balls and has the ability to spray the ball all over the field. Once he adds more muscle, there is potential for him to be a 20 HR/year guy. He can play 3B, 2B and can be a fill-in SS if needed. Mo compared him extensively to Donovan. 

I like the returns in each package. I think there is some real value here if we can develop them properly and they stay healthy. We needed to replinish the system and this was a big step forward.