The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Interesting nuggets today from John Denton:

*Cards and Mariners have continued to keep communication lines open for possible off-season deal. Mariners are willing to listen on likes of Gilbert, but have told Cardinals the starting price is Nolan Gorman + another higher end prospect. 

*Apparently we had a deal in place to send Jack Flaherty to the Rays, but it fell through at last minute due to a prospect coming back our way. His medical didn't check out and we pivoted to the Orioles. 

On 9/14/2023 at 2:23 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

*Apparently we had a deal in place to send Jack Flaherty to the Rays, but it fell through at last minute due to a prospect coming back our way. His medical didn't check out and we pivoted to the Orioles. 

From a pure curiosity standpoint, I'd be interested to know who it was.

On 9/19/2023 at 7:14 AM, JonStark said:

Congrats Waino! Really thought he wasn't going to get there but he did great the past two games. 

Now call it a career and go out on top.

Congrats to Waino.  Now it's time to get serious about losing.  We've got a 1 game lead over the Angels (who are tanking hard), and a 2 game lead over Pittsburgh/Detroit/NY Mets with 11 games to go.  The Nationals have a worse record than us, but they can't pick above 10 this year.  The odds of a top 3 pick go from 30.9% where we're currently slotted to just 9.1% if we fall behind the other four.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Congrats to Waino.  Now it's time to get serious about losing.  We've got a 1 game lead over the Angels (who are tanking hard), and a 2 game lead over Pittsburgh/Detroit/NY Mets with 11 games to go.  The Nationals have a worse record than us, but they can't pick above 10 this year.  The odds of a top 3 pick go from 30.9% where we're currently slotted to just 9.1% if we fall behind the other four.

Everyone behind us lost won last night, combined with our loss it was a Big Night

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

2 game lead with 10 games remaining.  I feel pretty confident we're going to be in that 5th or 6th slot, but I'd like to be 100% sure we are.

LAA is who scares me. We've remained on pace with the Nationals the last 30+ games. Basically tied or 1 game above/below them. I think that holds up.

LAA has been so bad recently, they could end up 2-8 over this last stretch and screw us. 

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

LAA is who scares me. We've remained on pace with the Nationals the last 30+ games. Basically tied or 1 game above/below them. I think that holds up.

LAA has been so bad recently, they could end up 2-8 over this last stretch and screw us. 

I would agree.  Fortunately, the Cardinals remaining schedule consists of 7 games against teams with winning records (4 vs Brewers, 3 vs Reds) with only 3 games against losing records (San Diego).  LA Angels have 7 games with winning records (1 vs Tampa Bay, 3 vs Texas, 3 vs Minnesota) and 3 against losing records (Oakland).  In fact, looking at the teams in the 5-9 range in terms of SoS.

St. Louis: .527 (10th toughest)
LA Angeles: .476 (21st)
Pittsburgh: .525 (11th)
Detroit: .362 (30th)
NY Mets: .537 (8th)

If the Pirates or Mets were closer than 4 GB of the Cardinals, I'd be afraid of them jumping St. Louis.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Great to see Waino go out on a high note and make the decision to not throw another pitch. Like to see that after the struggle it's been this season.

Would be cool to see him DH the final game of year, or at least take an AB one last time. 

They let Yadi and Albert pitch. Why not let the Wain Train hit?

Tekoah Roby was sent to the AFL to get more innings after his season was derailed with a shoulder injury, and he pitched last night.

3 IP, 1 H, 5 K, 0 BB

I'm going to say it now, and I know I've said it before but he would not have been available had it not been for the shoulder injury.  He's our #2 prospect once Masyn Winn officially loses prospect status behind Tink Hence.  On a semi-related note, the Cardinals finish with the 5th worst record in baseball which is a 10% chance at the top pick.  The draft lottery will be on December 5th, and the lowest the Cardinals can pick is 12th although realistically speaking they're not going to pick below 8th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Tekoah Roby was sent to the AFL to get more innings after his season was derailed with a shoulder injury, and he pitched last night.

3 IP, 1 H, 5 K, 0 BB

I'm going to say it now, and I know I've said it before but he would not have been available had it not been for the shoulder injury.  He's our #2 prospect once Masyn Winn officially loses prospect status behind Tink Hence.  

100%. I think I posted at the time of the trade, but I heard an interview(s) from both a national draft/prospect pundit and a Texas beat writer who said that a lot of the rangers developmental department and scouts were higher on Roby than any of there other SP prospects. Including Leiter, Rocker and Porter. 

Speaking of Hence, man he really struggled once he got up to Springfield.  

I know it's not going to happen because of how this FO/ownership group wants their persona to reflect to the public, but I wish they would take a run at Trevor Bauer.  Now that he's been cleared in the case and the civil matters have now settled and the evidence that he's now been able to share publicly as such (it's pretty damning against the accuser), he 100% deserves another shot from MLB.

He is exactly what we're looking for this off-season and wouldn't break the budget, allowing us to go get another high end guy.