The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Underwhelming. At least Lynn is funny. 

It's almost like everything that Mozeliak said in his post-season interview has come to reality.  He talked about not wanting to lose future flexibility, and with Tink Hence and Takoah Roby likely ready within a year or two they're going to get slotted into the rotation sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Doubtful.  It seems like that path disappeared when he was traded to San Diego.  Don't see the Cardinals ponying up the prospects (or the contract extension) for Soto.

It's all smoke & mirrors at this stage as to what SD's actually gonna do......and when.
If they do deal him this offseason, I'm hoping the NYY pull up to the table with strong offer.
We've got some of the pitching and prospects they apparently need. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's all smoke & mirrors at this stage as to what SD's actually gonna do......and when.
If they do deal him this offseason, I'm hoping the NYY pull up to the table with strong offer.
We've got some of the pitching and prospects they apparently need. Time will tell.

I feel like San Diego's pretty much already said they're cutting salary this year.  Obviously, Blake Snell is likely walking as a FA.  The optics of signing Xander Bogaerts and the extension of Joe Musgrove likely keep them in San Diego for a few more years, and we probably aren't likely to see Manny Machado or Fernando Tatis moved either.  Yu Darvish has a NTC, so he's probably unlikely to be dealt.  Knocking off $33M (projected) salary for Juan Soto seems like a pretty big slash, and probably brings back some real cost-controlled talent to San Diego.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like San Diego's pretty much already said they're cutting salary this year.  Obviously, Blake Snell is likely walking as a FA.  The optics of signing Xander Bogaerts and the extension of Joe Musgrove likely keep them in San Diego for a few more years, and we probably aren't likely to see Manny Machado or Fernando Tatis moved either.  Yu Darvish has a NTC, so he's probably unlikely to be dealt.  Knocking off $33M (projected) salary for Juan Soto seems like a pretty big slash, and probably brings back some real cost-controlled talent to San Diego.

Yup....thats the prevalent theory....which is fine with me. Sell, sell, sell!

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It's almost like everything that Mozeliak said in his post-season interview has come to reality.  He talked about not wanting to lose future flexibility, and with Tink Hence and Takoah Roby likely ready within a year or two they're going to get slotted into the rotation sooner rather than later.

It's annoying because our current rotation is so bare, we could have signed multiple guys AND had future flexibility for Roby and Tink. I hope we still go out and grab a TOR guy. It's hard for me to put a lot of faith in young pitchers anyway. We've been burned by it so many times in the past. 

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It's annoying because our current rotation is so bare, we could have signed multiple guys AND had future flexibility for Roby and Tink. I hope we still go out and grab a TOR guy. It's hard for me to put a lot of faith in young pitchers anyway. We've been burned by it so many times in the past. 

Based off his comments earlier and his actions recently, it seems readily apparent that the Cardinals anticipate Tekoah Roby in their rotation sometime during the middle of the year and I'd imagine that Tink Hence likely is with the big league roster sometime later in the year.  And that doesn't even include guys like Gordon Graceffo and Michael McGrevvy who likely get their debuts at some point this year.  And I'm not sure we have the headliner for a FOR starter in a trade unless we're willing to part with either Masyn Winn or Tink Hence.  And I'd bet good money that both of those guys are off-limits.

20 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I guess consolidating bad pitchers is something. Not exactly the most exciting thing. 

Half a run ERA better than we were running out there AND they are way more reliable than the group they are replacing from last year. Sorry it may not be sexy, but these are smart moves. 

6 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

All you can really do is laugh. I was fine with adding Lynn or even Gibson by himself but both? Really? We’re building boys!!!

Now do the Innings Pitched list…

You probably wont, so here they are; Mikolas #4 (201.1), Gibson #12 (192), Lynn #23 (183.2)

Its clear what they are doing, fortifying the middle/back of the rotation for stability/reliability that we haven’t had in a while. They have replaced the outgoing production from spots 3/4, and are hoping someone from the Matz/Rookie group can be an upgrade on the #5 spot (there is still a chance that Matz is moved to make room for another signing)

Now, if they fail to replace the Montgomery spot, yes it’s a failure and we are in trouble. But Nola is the only one who has signed of that player pool.

Now the Yoshi smoke is building, let’s see if we can close

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Half a run ERA better than we were running out there AND they are way more reliable than the group they are replacing from last year. Sorry it may not be sexy, but these are smart moves. 

I’m definitely not bummed about the moves. I just really hope we land a top flight guy, but preferably two. I don’t think we can rely on our young guys to have much of an impact this year. I would also not like to see as much Matz this year. Lynn as the #4 sounds a lot better than Lynn as the #2 or 3.