The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

DGoold reporting we're in talks with Brandon Crawford to be the back-up SS. Working on a deal. 

That would be wild. What do you think that does for Winn? Is he still penciled in as the starter, with Edman in CF and Crawford as the backup? I can't imagine Crawford has a whole lot left in the ol' tank but I have no idea. 

28 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That would be wild. What do you think that does for Winn? Is he still penciled in as the starter, with Edman in CF and Crawford as the backup? I can't imagine Crawford has a whole lot left in the ol' tank but I have no idea. 

Exactly what you said. He's being signed to be the back-up SS. The Cardinals are going to give Wynn every chance to be the everyday SS out of ST. It's Wynn's job to loose. 

Crawford is essentially washed up with the bat and his defensive metrics last year were meh to not good depending on which outlet you look at.

Not really a fan of these signings of the washed-up veterans for 'leadership' roles and bench bats (i.e Crawford and Carp)

Edited by kgarrett12486

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Not really a fan of these signings of the washed-up veterans for 'leadership' roles and bench bats (i.e Crawford and Carp)

Im not sure both Crawford and Carpenter both make the roster out of Spring Training

Its also becoming more and more evident that there was a major issue(s) in the Clubhouse last year. You can make the jokes about signing "old" players, but there was absolutely a lack of leadership on that team. And it was exasperated by a Manager who most dont trust already. So adding more voices, even if its to the bunch of young guys to quit goofing off, might have been a major need that we as fans never even heard about.

This move says more about Edman than Winn to me. Its not great that he isnt swinging yet, and if he is hindered it also means that Donovan plays more in the OF, and we didnt have a true SS on the roster behind Masyn

There is no position battle at SS, Masyn doesnt need to win anything, its his spot, and he will be left to be that guy probably all year. Brandon Crawford is not a threat to over take him on his merit at this point. Winn would have to not hit at all AND have it impact him in the field for that to happen.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im not sure both Crawford and Carpenter both make the roster out of Spring Training

Its also becoming more and more evident that there was a major issue(s) in the Clubhouse last year. You can make the jokes about signing "old" players, but there was absolutely a lack of leadership on that team. And it was exasperated by a Manager who most dont trust already. So adding more voices, even if its to the bunch of young guys to quit goofing off, might have been a major need that we as fans never even heard about.

This move says more about Edman than Winn to me. Its not great that he isnt swinging yet, and if he is hindered it also means that Donovan plays more in the OF, and we didnt have a true SS on the roster behind Masyn

There is no position battle at SS, Masyn doesnt need to win anything, its his spot, and he will be left to be that guy probably all year. Brandon Crawford is not a threat to over take him on his merit at this point. Winn would have to not hit at all AND have it impact him in the field for that to happen.

I don't see how Crawford doesn't make the roster.  It's clearly Masyn Winn's spot to lose.  The only way he isn't our starting SS is if he's absolute lost at the plate, and even then that's probably still not going to let Crawford take the spot.  Goldy obviously has 1B on lockdown, Gorman and Donovan have 2B/DH settled, Masyn Winn has SS, and obviously Arenado locked down.  Edman is your everyday CFer, and Walker is in one of the cOF spots.  Carlson probably has an inside edge on the other cOF spot, but if he struggles and/or Carpenter is productive than you can slide Donovan into the cOF spot instead.

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I'll be surprised if both Carpenter and Crawford aren't on the opening day roster for anything other than (1) of them being injured to start the year. The FO has put major emphasis on this need for 'veteran leadership' narrative in the club house and Carpenter is the poster child. Whether it's right/wrong decision remains to be seen, but personally I think they're wasting a valuable roster spot on a guy that's relegated to being a DH/1B only and who's bat has completely fallen off a cliff the last 3/4 years, other than an outlier couple of months in NY. I mean his advanced batting stats are vene worse than the we already have this same type of profile on the roster in Alec Burelson. He's pretty much a 1B and DH option only (I think they only want to put him in OF on emergency basis given his poor defensive showing since coming up). You can't carry (2) guys with this profile IMO on your bench. I'd rather give the young guy with more upside to potentially tap the AB's.

I don't have an issue with them wanting to add some veteran presence/voices to the clubhouse, but you have to do so in a capacity that isn't going to hinder your roster in the end. They're trending into those waters now. They had already added some of that valuable leadership/git when they brought in Lynn and he should be a functioning piece to the roster. If there truly is this leadership void (which i think is being way overblown in media), then that's on the FO. You brought in (2) veteran superstars to pass the leadership role onto. By all accounts, there was nothing that suggested said players didn't want to assume that position. You're also paying them to be those guys like it or not. You also had some ancillary players at the time they anticipated to be support in this area, which for various reasons didn't pan out and most of those players are gone.

No one said there was going to be a position battle as SS. As we've all said and know, they're going to give Winn every opportunity to take the job and run and rightfully so. I believe he'll be just fine even if he doesn't hit to start off the season because of how elite his defense, range and arm are. You can live with a down bat when you get that level of defense, especially with how potent this offense has the potential to be around him. I'm all in favor of bringing in a true back-up SS to be exactly that - a break glass in case of emergency type, or spell for a day off. My issue is with the player. I don't think Crawford's defense puts him as even a servicable SS any longer and you're certainly not getting the bat he used to have. You're probably getting closer to the 2023 version of the bat, which was awful. That's why I'm not a fan. I think you could have gotten a guy like Andrus or even Ahmed (before he signed yesterday) who would have given you much better protection defensively. 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't see how Crawford doesn't make the roster.  It's clearly Masyn Winn's spot to lose.  The only way he isn't our starting SS is if he's absolute lost at the plate, and even then that's probably still not going to let Crawford take the spot.  Goldy obviously has 1B on lockdown, Gorman and Donovan have 2B/DH settled, Masyn Winn has SS, and obviously Arenado locked down.  Edman is your everyday CFer, and Walker is in one of the cOF spots.  Carlson probably has an inside edge on the other cOF spot, but if he struggles and/or Carpenter is productive than you can slide Donovan into the cOF spot instead.

If Edman is healthy to start the season, I think you're looking at LF-Nootbaar, CF-Edman, RF-Walker with Carlson being the true 4th OF. Donovan would likely get some LF starts once/twice a week as needed when they can't find him AB's in other spots. 

If Edman isn't healthy, you're going to see Carlson play CF exclusively IMO. I've heard they didn't love Nootbaar playing CF last year and don't want to go down that path unless it's needed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Carlson probably has an inside edge on the other cOF spot, but if he struggles and/or Carpenter is productive than you can slide Donovan into the cOF spot instead.

I think that other cOF spot is for Noot. I think Carlson is the #4, even though he'll probably be our opening day CF due to Edman's health. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think that other cOF spot is for Noot. I think Carlson is the #4, even though he'll probably be our opening day CF due to Edman's health. 

Honestly not sure how Noot was missed.

Cardinals right-hander Sonny Gray has been diagnosed with a “mild” strain of his right hamstring, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak announced Tuesday morning (X link via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch). While Mozeliak called it “encouraging” news that Gray had dodged a more serious strain, he acknowledged that it could be “challenging” to get Gray ready for the beginning of the season and that Opening Day is now “in question” for the team’s top offseason acquisition.

There’s internal concern within the Cardinals organization that Tommy Edman won’t be ready for Opening Day, according to The Athletic’s Katie Woo. Edman is coming off wrist surgery from last October and has yet to be cleared to face live pitching. With three weeks of exhibition games left, the Cardinals reportedly would prefer Edman see game action before clearing him for the regular season. Woo adds that there is no timetable for Edman to take live swings, let alone being cleared for Grapefruit League play.

23 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Cardinals right-hander Sonny Gray has been diagnosed with a “mild” strain of his right hamstring, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak announced Tuesday morning (X link via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch). While Mozeliak called it “encouraging” news that Gray had dodged a more serious strain, he acknowledged that it could be “challenging” to get Gray ready for the beginning of the season and that Opening Day is now “in question” for the team’s top offseason acquisition.

Its a relief that it was his hammy and not his arm. Im not worried about opening day, Im worried about the season. Let him heal and when hes ready to go, hes our Ace. 

23 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

There’s internal concern within the Cardinals organization that Tommy Edman won’t be ready for Opening Day, according to The Athletic’s Katie Woo. Edman is coming off wrist surgery from last October and has yet to be cleared to face live pitching. With three weeks of exhibition games left, the Cardinals reportedly would prefer Edman see game action before clearing him for the regular season. Woo adds that there is no timetable for Edman to take live swings, let alone being cleared for Grapefruit League play.

I said this when we signed Crawford, they are rightly worried about Edman. If he isnt even seeing live pitching right now, hes gotta be at least a month behind schedule (in a regular offseason program) so it feels like we might be without him for a good chunk of the season. 

Another chance for Dylan Carlson I guess