The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

The Colome acquisition makes a ton of sense.  He's under contract for another 3 years based on arbitration.  The Cardinals have a glut of OFers, and the Rays could look to improve their position.  Moving Randal Grichuk to Tampa Bay as part of a Colome deal makes sense for both sides, obviously the Cardinals would likely need to add more.  Can't see them be willing to move any of their top prospects (Reyes, Weaver, Kelly, or Flaherty) as part of a Colome deal.  Perhaps Grichuk, Junior Fernandez, and Connor Jones for Colome?

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The Colome acquisition makes a ton of sense.  He's under contract for another 3 years based on arbitration.  The Cardinals have a glut of OFers, and the Rays could look to improve their position.  Moving Randal Grichuk to Tampa Bay as part of a Colome deal makes sense for both sides, obviously the Cardinals would likely need to add more.  Can't see them be willing to move any of their top prospects (Reyes, Weaver, Kelly, or Flaherty) as part of a Colome deal.  Perhaps Grichuk, Junior Fernandez, and Connor Jones for Colome?

I do that trade...I've liked Colome for a bit now. 

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Still think there is a good chance Colome might not be the only part coming back our way in a deal, depending on what happens with the MOTO bat situation...

14 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Both sound like good fits to me.  I'll even chip in $10 to help with Stanton's salary.

I think they are Great starts to rebuilding this team.

I would say, if the first rumor of the Marlins deal is anywhere close to real (below), hard pass.  Now that rumor seems to be from a very uncredible source this past weekend. But anything that starts with Reyes, Mo should ask for them to pay the entire contract, or walk out of the room.

Marlins Send

• Giancarlo Stanton
  • Brad Ziegler 

Cardinals Send

• Alex Reyes
  • Sandy Alcantara
  • Randall Grichuck
  • Aledmys Diaz

Ziegler's an interesting option to me.  With his struggles last year and his pretty large salary for a reliever, I wonder how much it would take in terms of prospects to acquire him (alone or as an add-on).  I could maybe see Miami being pretty motivated to shed his salary.

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I do that trade...I've liked Colome for a bit now. 

Colome actually probably makes the most sense of all the closers.  I don't see them forfeiting the pick for Wade Davis or Greg Holland, and I don't think Addison Reed has the track record that Mo wants.  The offer seems a bit off, although the Rays version of VEB suggested Randal Grichuk plus a 6-10 prospect for Colome.  Going off FanGraphs rankings, you're looking at Jose Adolis Garcia, Tyler O'Neill, Andrew Knizner, Harrison Bader, and Ryan Helsley.  Going off of BA, you've got Jordan Hicks, Mangeuris Sierra, Harrison Bader, Dakota Hudson, and Ryan Helsey.  Honestly, if the Rays don't really like Junior Fernandez I would go with Grichuk/Helsley package.  I wouldn't like it, but you're not supposed to like giving up prospects.

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Still think there is a good chance Colome might not be the only part coming back our way in a deal, depending on what happens with the MOTO bat situation...

Outside of Evan Longoria, they really don't have a MOTO bat to give the Cardinals.

53 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think they are Great starts to rebuilding this team.

I would say, if the first rumor of the Marlins deal is anywhere close to real (below), hard pass.  Now that rumor seems to be from a very uncredible source this past weekend. But anything that starts with Reyes, Mo should ask for them to pay the entire contract, or walk out of the room.

Marlins Send

• Giancarlo Stanton
  • Brad Ziegler 

Cardinals Send

• Alex Reyes
  • Sandy Alcantara
  • Randall Grichuck
  • Aledmys Diaz

That's an easy pass.  Even if the Marlins were kicking in a TON of money, I'd still be hard pressed to give up Alex Reyes in any Stanton deal.  I still think the best prospect that they're going to get from the Cardinals is Jack Flaherty.  Now, if they're eating ~$50M of that Stanton contract and you included Jack Flaherty instead of Alex Reyes, I'd probably do it.  But I have no desire to give up Alex Reyes, and the Marlins aren't eating Stanton's entire contract.

32 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Ziegler's an interesting option to me.  With his struggles last year and his pretty large salary for a reliever, I wonder how much it would take in terms of prospects to acquire him (alone or as an add-on).  I could maybe see Miami being pretty motivated to shed his salary.

At this point, I'd have to imagine he's a near pure salary dump.  Maybe they get a lower-level lottery ticket, but I just don't think he really offers much upside.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Outside of Evan Longoria, they really don't have a MOTO bat to give the Cardinals.

I didn't mean the Rays would give us a MOTO bat in a deal, my bad as it was unclear.

I meant depending on what happens and the pieces we give up to get a MOTO bat (hopefully), we could be wanting more than just Colome from the Rays (Odorizzi or another another BP piece) as well...

4 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I didn't mean the Rays would give us a MOTO bat in a deal, my bad as it was unclear.

I meant depending on what happens and the pieces we give up to get a MOTO bat (hopefully), we could be wanting more than just Colome from the Rays (Odorizzi or another another BP piece) as well...

I don't think a Colome trade will happen until AFTER Wade Davis and Greg Holland sign their next contracts.  The Rays will have a better idea of who is in need of a closer, and have a better idea of the market for Colome at that point.  As for Odorizzi, I think Mo's comments about our SP said enough.  They don't really view it as a need, although that could certainly change depending on whether or not they deal Jack Flaherty.