The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

According to Craig Mish of Sirius XM, the Cardinals proposed deal for Giancarlo Stanton is centered around prospect Sandy Alcantara.

Mish also notes that the Cardinals deal includes more cash than the Giants' proposed deal does. 

This is really encouraging to me.  In terms of landing Stanton, maybe it doesn't improve our odds much.  It's still all about where he wants to play.  But, I see this as a sign that we're seriously all in on this.  Maybe we "finish second" again, like with Heyward & Price, but it won't be because the FO was too conservative.  They're seriously trying to make something happen here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

This is really encouraging to me.  In terms of landing Stanton, maybe it doesn't improve our odds much.  It's still all about where he wants to play.  But, I see this as a sign that we're seriously all in on this.  Maybe we "finish second" again, like with Heyward & Price, but it won't be because the FO was too conservative.  They're seriously trying to make something happen here.

Sounds like we have offered the more attractive (or atleast comparable) package of Prospects, and offered to take on the most money. You cant ask Mo&co to do more than that.

To me it seem likes the Marlins want to take our offer, but are comfortable enough with the Giants. And this all lands on Stanton's shoulders at this point. If he is serious about winning, then he should be a Cardinal for the next 3 years. If he is just worried about where he lives during the season, then we didnt have a real shot anyway.

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Sounds like we have offered the more attractive (or atleast comparable) package of Prospects, and offered to take on the most money. You cant ask Mo&co to do more than that.

To me it seem likes the Marlins want to take our offer, but are comfortable enough with the Giants. And this all lands on Stanton's shoulders at this point. If he is serious about winning, then he should be a Cardinal for the next 3 years. If he is just worried about where he lives during the season, then we didnt have a real shot anyway.

That sums it up pretty well, right there.  Seems to me we've got the edge in what we can offer the Marlins ($$, prospects).  We've got somewhat of an edge in finances for Stanton, with the whole state taxes issue.  And we've got the edge in providing a place for him to win.  But if he doesn't want to live/play here, that's it.  We've made our case to team and player.  I think both are good cases.  It's up to him now.

According to Venezuelan journalist Wilmer Reina, the Marlins have shown interest in Jose Martinez as part of a return package from the Cardinals in trade talks for Giancarlo Stanton.

According to Jon Morosi of MLB.com, Wilmer Reina is reporting that the Marlins are also showing interest in Michael Wacha. However, it's believed that prospect right-hander Sandy Alcantara would be the headliner of any deal for Stanton. 

I could see them wanting Martinez. Cheap hitters who have shown big potential. Which would be fine as an additional piece (mostly why I always thought Diaz would have been part of this deal). Honestly wouldnt hate if Wacha was in it, but due to his Arbitration, I would think he wouldnt be as high on the list.

Right now Im thinking or deal is something like;

• Sandy Alcantara - SP
  • Jose Martinez - 1B
  • Harrison Bader - OF
  • Junior Fernandez - SP

To get back Stanton and Ziegler, and only getting something like $10-$15 million coming back our way. 

37 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

So Im preparing myself for the worst, what other legitimate trade options do we thing are still out there?

The only one Ive ever really heard are Colome and maybe Longoria from TB...

I think Yelich or Ozuna from Miami have been rumored, as well.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Who?  I legitimately have no idea who he is.

Apparently played in majors 3 years ago and was a failure. Been in Japan the past couple of seasons and has been one of the best pitchers over there.... Seems like a back of the rotation kind of guy.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

10 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Apparently played in majors 3 years ago and was a failure. Been in Japan the past couple of seasons and has been one of the best pitchers over there.... Seems like a back of the rotation kind of guy.

I wonder what kind of stuff he's got? Could be a sneaky nice addition if he can eat some innings.

21 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

He had a lot of teams offering him deals. Last report I heard was that he was close to a deal w/ the Rangers, so this is welcome news. Teams have scouted him hard last year and seem to think he's figured something out...

I like this move, as he's a guy that could eat innings as a starter if needed (given our rotation uncertainty, that seems likely) and can pitch out of long relief as well...

Apparently he is a fastball/slider guy with a little curve mixed in too. His fastball, from what I've read, sits about 90-92 with a good slider and an average curve. He could be a nice addition, like everyone has already said, to the back of our rotation. This also lessens the need to rush Reyes into the rotation. Hopefully this signing pays off. I am excited about him.