The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If we miss out on Stanton, what do you guys think an appropriate deal to get Ozuna would look like? I'd imagine it'd be massive.

That's a good question.  I'm not sure it'd be too different than a deal for Stanton.  Yes, Stanton is obviously the superior player, but his massive contract reduces his value in a trade, imo.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

That's a good question.  I'm not sure it'd be too different than a deal for Stanton.  Yes, Stanton is obviously the superior player, but his massive contract reduces his value in a trade, imo.  

I was kind of under the impression it would be a larger package because Ozuna has the better contract. Maybe something centering around not just Alcantara but also Bader or O'Neil. 

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was kind of under the impression it would be a larger package because Ozuna has the better contract. Maybe something centering around not just Alcantara but also Bader or O'Neil. 

While he's owed less, he actually has less team control than Stanton. Ozuna has 2 more years before FA.

I thin value of both are somewhat similar in prospect return, but it'll take an extra peiece to get Ozuna just because of the AAV difference...

• Like 1

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

While he's owed less, he actually has less team control than Stanton. Ozuna has 2 more years before FA.

I thin value of both are somewhat similar in prospect return, but it'll take an extra peiece to get Ozuna just because of the AAV difference...

That's not too bad. I would definitely not mind if we went after Ozuna. I'm leary of spending big on Yelich, though. Not that I think Yelich is bad, but I've got some 90's left in me. I need dingers. 

49 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's not too bad. I would definitely not mind if we went after Ozuna. I'm leary of spending big on Yelich, though. Not that I think Yelich is bad, but I've got some 90's left in me. I need dingers. 

I'd prefer Ozuna, too.  Yelich is nice, but he's sort of more of what we already have.  Ozuna would provide more thump/fear in the middle of the order.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Id imagine Yelich would require the bigger package. Many see him as the more complete player, and he also has the better long term deal.

I like Ozuna as the piece for this team. But as pointed out, he only has 2 years of control left. But they are also years 2 and 3 of Arbitration. 

Plus, I would be the Marlins would still be looking for us to take on some more of their excess payroll along with a deal (i.e. Ziegler) and that would lower the total cost.

48 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Id imagine Yelich would require the bigger package. Many see him as the more complete player, and he also has the better long term deal.

I like Ozuna as the piece for this team. But as pointed out, he only has 2 years of control left. But they are also years 2 and 3 of Arbitration. 

Plus, I would be the Marlins would still be looking for us to take on some more of their excess payroll along with a deal (i.e. Ziegler) and that would lower the total cost.

Good point about Ziegler.  I feel like that's the type of deal we usually only see in the NBA - where Team A gives compensation to Team B so Team B will take the unwanted contract of a player off their hands.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing that much (if at all) in baseball, but this could be a situation like that.  All the more reason Ziegler could be a good fit in a deal with the Marlins.

4 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Good point about Ziegler.  I feel like that's the type of deal we usually only see in the NBA - where Team A gives compensation to Team B so Team B will take the unwanted contract of a player off their hands.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing that much (if at all) in baseball, but this could be a situation like that.  All the more reason Ziegler could be a good fit in a deal with the Marlins.

It usually is, but we also usually dont have a Franchise in the situation that the Marlins are currently in.

Plus we are starting to see more NBA-like trades across other leagues (look at the Osweiler deal this off season) as more GMs start to think a outside of the box

I have started to think of other trade scenarios (in hopes of a reverse jinx) but the most logical outcome I can think of, really throws off what I thought our Lineup would be.

If we would make the trades for Ozuna/Ziegler and Longoria/Colome I'd envision our lineup to look something like this?

1. Carpenter - 2B
  2. Pham - CF
  3. Longoria - 3B
  4. Ozuna - LF
  5. Fowler - RF
  6. Yadi - C
  7. DeJong - SS
  8. Wong - 2B
  9. Pitcher

Whatever way I look at it, either Fowler, Yadi or DeJong are in the 7 spot. If DeJong is hitting the same as he was last year he should be hitting behind Ozuna at #5. Yadi has mostly hit 5 or 6 (over 80% of the time, almost 60% out of the 5 spot in the past 3 years), and Fowler has already dropped out of the Leadoff spot, and is likely being moved from CF, how would he take dropping that low?

That type of lineup depth would be great, but would Matheny have the cojones to drop Fowler and Yadi that low, putting DeJong where he deserves?

37 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

It usually is, but we also usually dont have a Franchise in the situation that the Marlins are currently in.

Plus we are starting to see more NBA-like trades across other leagues (look at the Osweiler deal this off season) as more GMs start to think a outside of the box

Good example of Osweiler...I'd forgotten about that.  And you're right - Miami has put themselves in that situation where trades like that help them achieve their goals.  It's not as much about a bad contract, but just desperately wanting to shed salary.  Regardless, it's a situation we have the opportunity to take advantage of.

Sounds like Stanton decision is expected by end of the week. More and more rumors state he's unlikely to accept deal to STL. basically that he's exercised a 'pocket veto', meaning he hasn't responded to the inquiries about accepting a deal to STL that MIA has put his way. That way he can say he never formally turned down the offer...

Guess we'll find out soon...