The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

I can see Grichuk doing very well in Toronto. A team that has a history of turning toolsy hitters into great ones. Unfortunately it was never going to happen here.

Looks like Leone has the ability to be used as a high-stress reliever. Greene has a 70+ fastball, and not much else. I could see reliever in his near future.

Edited by chris00cm

3 hours ago, chris00cm said:

I can see Grichuk doing very well in Toronto. A team that has a history of turning toolsy hitters into great ones. Unfortunately it was never going to happen here.

Looks like Leone has the ability to be used as a high-stress reliever. Greene has a 70+ fastball, and not much else. I could see reliever in his near future.

Grichuk will always be that guy who can hit 25-35 HRs but is going to have a OBP that hovers around or below .300 and put up massive K numbers. Good for him though, he needed the change of scenery...

I love the Leone pick-up. He's just learning how to tap his potential. He had a 33% k rate down the stretch. That's really good. He misses a ton of bats...

Greene is an interesting 2nd piece. Reclamation type Cardinals love. He has FB that can touch triple digits and good arm action on his changeup. No breaking ball though. Slider might develop, but it's a big if. He's likely a BP piece long term with only 2 pitches. Be interesting to see if our minor league coaches can harness his control issues. Interesting, Greene is best friends w/ Jack Flaherty...

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Holy cow

I did not see that coming

I’ve been telling you guys, the Blue Jays were hard up for Grichuck. I had just always assumed that he would be part of whatever Donaldson deal we finally put together 

i guess we have finally decided to give that pursuit a break

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 3:31 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Looks like Leone is a solid bullpen guy and Greene is a AA starter who doesn't look great.

Nothing special, but it's interesting.  Seems like the emergence of his cutter really helped him out this year.  As for Conner Greene, he's got the big time fastball but that's about it.  Probably needs to be converted to the bullpen sooner rather than later.

Barring any unforeseen moves ( I could still see us adding a LH bat to the bench), I think we have a pretty clear picture of the roster:

LF - Marcell Ozuna

CF-Tommy Pham

RF-Dexter Fowler

Bench -  OF Harrison Bader or OF Tyler O'Neill ( I give the edge to Bader because he played well here in limited time last year and could play all 3 OF spots)

3B-Jedd Gyorko

SS-Paul DeJong

2B-Kolten Wong

1B-Matt Carpenter

C- Yadier Molina

Bench - 1B/OF Jose Martinez, C Carson Kelly, UTIL Greg Garcia

SP-Carlos Martinez

SP-Adam Wainwright

SP-Michael Wacha

Sp-Luke Weaver

SP-Miles Mikolas

CL-Luke Gregerson

SU-Dominic Leone

SU-Tyler Lyons

RP-Brett Cecil

RP-Matt Bowman

RP-John Brebbia

RP-Sam Tuivailala

LR - John Gant

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was really worried about our bullpen until we grabbed Leone. I also have a feeling we could see a Tuivailala breakout and a Cecil bounceback. Gregerson still worries me, though.

Assuming Brebbia is able to put up close to same type of season as 2017 and Tuivailala takes a step forward, I fully expect Cecil to rebound. I think Gant is perfect for that long innings role and Lyons has been pretty consistent. Love the Leone pick-up, I think he's just coming into his own...

I still think Gregerson is going to be an issue as the closer, but hopefully he pulls through 1 month and then they could look to move Tui, Leone or Reyes to that role for 2018...

I'm worried about Matt Bowman though. His workload the last few years was huge. He seems like the next in line under Matheny to go the Seigrist, Maness route...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Assuming Brebbia is able to put up close to same type of season as 2017 and Tuivailala takes a step forward, I fully expect Cecil to rebound. I think Gant is perfect for that long innings role and Lyons has been pretty consistent. Love the Leone pick-up, I think he's just coming into his own...

I still think Gregerson is going to be an issue as the closer, but hopefully he pulls through 1 month and then they could look to move Tui, Leone or Reyes to that role for 2018...

I'm worried about Matt Bowman though. His workload the last few years was huge. He seems like the next in line under Matheny to go the Seigrist, Maness route...

Yeah, I'm with you. Bowman is probably finished. He looked really gassed last year and was pretty ineffective, at least to the eye test. 

Also, if we can get some steady work from our young guns in the starting rotation and some things break our way, we could probably compete for a playoff spot. I think we've definitely improved from last year. 

Edited by MOSteelers56

17 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Brewers made a trade offer for OF Christian Yelich and the Cubs are in 'active' talks w/ SP Yu Darvish...

Uh oh...

Nearly every team in the league has made inquires on Yelich. I am not too worried about it. Honestly, if someone were to get him, it would completely decimate their Farm System (he is their most valuable asset, and they have gotten hosed on the previous two trades) so maybe it wouldnt be the worst thing, it could be like the early part of Braun's career.

On 1/22/2018 at 8:30 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Barring any unforeseen moves ( I could still see us adding a LH bat to the bench), I think we have a pretty clear picture of the roster:

I think we will be looking for another Bat all season long. And actually we are so position versatile, that it could be any infield position. But we need one more hitter to have a truly formidable lineup.

Plus I think we still have a Starting Pitcher to pick up whenever this Free Agent class actually picks up.