Giants sign LB Bobby Okereke (4 years, $40M, $22M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

Fantastic. We desperately needed an ILB, and Okereke was one of my top 2 choices. I think all of the other guys I liked signed already- Edmunds, Long, Edwards, Pratt. Pratt I liked more than Okereke and got less money, Long I liked about the same as Okereke and got waaay less, Edmunds I liked a little less (mainly because I knew he would get a bag) and got way more. 

I would have preferred Long or Pratt at their price tags, but I'm ok with this deal at this price. It's been a while since we've had a LB that has the skillset that Okereke brings. Hopefully he pans out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I knew the Colts weren’t going to be able to afford him but with Leonard already making $16 mill+ 

Quick scouting report, Stallyns? I know he's wicked fast. I was also at the New Years Day game and he was FLYING that day. Looked like the only Colts defender that gave a damn. I think he had close to 20 tackles that game?

Edited by minutemancl

Just now, minutemancl said:

Quick scouting report, Stallyns? I know he's wicked fast.

He’s better in coverage than Leonard. Not that it’s a high ceiling. He’s a 3 down defender. Good tackler. He’s working on perfecting the Peanut Punch that Leonard uses. Needs to work on the recovering the ball portion of that. 

He was supposed to move to weak side linebacker this year because Gus Bradley felt that Leonard would work better as the MLB but with Leonard’s injury he stayed in the middle and Zaire Franklin played weak side. Thus Leonard returning is Okereke’s (Oh-Care-Ah-Kay) replacement 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Fantastic. We desperately needed an ILB, and Okereke was one of my top 2 choices. I think all of the other guys I liked signed already- Edmunds, Long, Edwards, Pratt. Pratt I liked more than Okereke and got less money, Long I liked about the same as Okereke and got waaay less, Edmunds I liked a little less (mainly because I knew he would get a bag) and got way more. 

I would have preferred Long or Pratt at their price tags, but I'm ok with this deal at this price. It's been a while since we've had a LB that has the skillset that Okereke brings. Hopefully he pans out.

Who's the last LB we've had that can play three downs? Boley on a good day? Pierce couldn't cover but it was a different game 17 years ago lol

Edited by redsoxsuck05

8 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Who's the last LB we've had that can play three downs? Boley on a good day? Pierce couldn't cover but it was a different game 17 years ago lol

Blake Martinez could. Wasn't great in coverage, but he was solid. Funnily enough, he signed basically the 3 year equivalent of this deal we just signed Okereke to, and Okereke was the successor at Stanford to Martinez. Lots of parallels. 

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Man, this is the guy I wanted. Still don't know why we re-signed Anzalone.

Must be a culture fit. It was a cheaper contract and Detroit's LBs are a weakness. They can get out after next year if he's not at least an average starter. Anzalone is being paid as a bridge starter, which is fine.

• Like 2