Raiders sign WR Jakobi Meyers (3 years, $33M, $21M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Seems like he'll be a good complement opposite Adams.  Renfrow mostly working the slot.  Jakobi also obviously has that familiarity and you know he should work with McDaniels system.  Reduces some risk there.

Meyers on the outside? That’s just not his game, he’s a slot WR and really good at it. Maybe Pat fans can chime in. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Only the slot. One of the best at it. But be doesn’t do outside at all. 

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Professional WR.   Can play 2nd outside and slot. Fits well as a complement to Adams.

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Very useful at that price, a good number two. 

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

And he's more than just a slot - can play outside, too. 

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I’m genuinely annoyed we didn’t make a run to re-sign him at that price.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Wish we kept him at that price! Gonna miss him, glad he got paid.

Not a pure slot guy.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Meyers on the outside? That’s just not his game, he’s a slot WR and really good at it. Maybe Pat fans can chime in. 

I don't think he's the "classic" perimeter WR...but if you've already got Adams for that, i think Meyers is perfectly capable of running a lot of the tree that McDaniels will want from the "outside" guy opposite Adams.  When i think of Meyers, it's all about those drag/crosser routes in particular.  That's his bread and butter.  But also quick outs and protected release/screen stuff.  All things he can run from the "outside" 

I think particularly with the change from Carr to JimmyG who has a lot less arm...McDaniels is gonna want a guy like Meyers who can make those shorter throws available to him consistently.  Adams gonna have to do the heavy lifting stretching the field vertically...but that's already his jam.

I don't really see this conflict between what Meyers does and what Renfrow can offer.  There could be space for both to work to their strengths in different ways.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not pure slot guy but that’s his primary game. And I’m sure he’s gonna take 2/3 of his snaps there just like he did on the Pats. So what does it mean for Renfrow?

IMO he can play both, slot and 2nd option, work underneath. He will be working against the 2 CB. He faced 1st CB with Pats and still did well. Don't forget his numbers are based on BB pop Warner 12 year old kids offense.  Now he playing in Josh offense something he knows and Josh can open it up, something he didn't do since post Brady

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't think he's the "classic" perimeter WR...but if you've already got Adams for that, i think Meyers is perfectly capable of running a lot of the tree that McDaniels will want from the "outside" guy opposite Adams.  When i think of Meyers, it's all about those drag/crosser routes in particular.  That's his bread and butter.  But also quick outs and protected release/screen stuff.  All things he can run from the "outside" 

I think particularly with the change from Carr to JimmyG who has a lot less arm...McDaniels is gonna want a guy like Meyers who can make those shorter throws available to him consistently.  Adams gonna have to do the heavy lifting stretching the field vertically...but that's already his jam.

I don't really see this conflict between what Meyers does and what Renfrow can offer.  There could be space for both to work to their strengths in different ways.

Exactly

1 minute ago, m haynes said:

IMO he can play both, slot and 2nd option, work underneath. He will be working against the 2 CB. He faced 1st CB with Pats and still did well. Don't forget his numbers are based on BB pop Warner 12 year old kids offense.  Now he playing in Josh offense something he knows and Josh can open it up, something he didn't do since post Brady

I would imagine 2/3 of his snaps come from the slot still, so I’m just wondering what Renfrow’s role is. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I would imagine 2/3 of his snaps come from the slot still, so I’m just wondering what Renfrow’s role is. 

No  he can play outside.  He not fast however he's like JSN cut in a phone booth!!!! He breaks ankles and is perecise in his routes which makes up for his speed.  I said like JSN 😁🤣

Phone booth is a glass structure made of glass that use to be on every street corner with a phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha 🤣

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Parker is an X receiver, pretty much exclusively. Same Thornton. Bourne and Agholor can moonlight everywhere, but Meyers is the best option at slot receiver. That’s why he played there a lot. Won’t be the case with Adams and Renfrow.

Don’t confuse his best fit specifically on the Patriots offense with that being his only skill set.

• Like 1

Just now, m haynes said:

No  he can play outside.  He not fast however he's like JSN cut in a phone booth!!!! He breaks ankles and is perecise in his routes which makes up for his speed.  I said like JSN 😁🤣

Phone booth is a glass structure made of glass that use to be on every street corner with a phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha 🤣

Yes but his strength is IN the slot, even though he CAN play outside. And you are gonna use a player at their strengths majority of the time. So like I said, I wonder what we do with Renfrow. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yes but his strength is IN the slot, even though he CAN play outside. And you are gonna use a player at their strengths majority of the time. So like I said, I wonder what we do with Renfrow. 

No he can play outside effectively. Slot was his strength because that's where he played for the Pats, for a coach that wouldn't know a WR to save his life.  He didn't fit BB mold for the outside becasue BB wants them to go down field and out muscle guys, he loves the 50/50 WR that blocks.  Parker and the great Harry.

Raiders has Jimmy G. Meyers is perfect for JG working the middle and short game.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I think you're maybe getting overly hung up on "traditional" receiver roles, rather than thinking about route combination concepts and overall offensive philosophy.

With JimmyG...you're ultimately trying to tailor things toward playing to his strengths.  Which is predominantly in those timing routes toward the middle of the field.  You're trying to design your offense toward what your quarterback "strength" is.  Putting weapons around them to emphasize that element.

I know you're familiar with how dominant Renfrow can be as a very "traditional slot" receiver.  That's probably where he continues to work.  Those quick, sharp breaking routes you think of with a "traditional slot receiver".  The "boom, and the ball is there" sort of thing.  Meyers is also a good route runner, but his strengths even "over the middle" are a bit different.  He has that rare feel for how to time up his crossing.  All those "mesh" concepts rely on a guy like Meyers who isn't just good at running and catching the ball, but playing their role in the broader concept by basically running picks and distractions and getting in the way.

That's where Adams/Meyers/Renfrow can all coexist.  But you have to really readjust your thinking to...JimmyG offense, not Derek Carr yoloball.  Stretching the field in layers horizontally, rather than vertically.

• Like 2