Raiders sign NT John Jenkins

NYRaider

I think Farrell Jr. gets the opportunity in OTAs to show the staff that he is ready to be NT1. If he flops, we get another big dude via draft and Jenkins gets the axe in TC...

If Farrell can be our starting NT, then Jenkins could be a solid veteran depth piece behind him.

On 3/28/2023 at 5:35 AM, Rolni said:

I think Farrell Jr. gets the opportunity in OTAs to show the staff that he is ready to be NT1. If he flops, we get another big dude via draft and Jenkins gets the axe in TC...

If Farrell can be our starting NT, then Jenkins could be a solid veteran depth piece behind him.

I think they have to give Farrell every opportunity to be the NT1 in training camp.  They spent a 4th rounder on him, which is modestly high for a NT.  

I’ll be glad if we keep both.  I’ve called for improving NT depth and talent the last few years.  It’s good to have 2 solid run defenders with size when playing in short yardage situations, plus the bigger DTs are more effective when rotated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think they have to give Farrell every opportunity to be the NT1 in training camp.  They spent a 4th rounder on him, which is modestly high for a NT.  

I’ll be glad if we keep both.  I’ve called for improving NT depth and talent the last few years.  It’s good to have 2 solid run defenders with size when playing in short yardage situations, plus the bigger DTs are more effective when rotated.

With his disciplinary issue during last season he might be on shorter leash...OTAs could be big for him IMO. If he shows up in good shape and show the staff that he can be NT1, then I think we can skip the NT pick or do it really late in the draft, since would only need a young guy to push Jenkins for back up role...

However if he arrives out of shape for OTAs or shows too little, we could be in the NT market come draft time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

With his disciplinary issue during last season he might be on shorter leash...OTAs could be big for him IMO. If he shows up in good shape and show the staff that he can be NT1, then I think we can skip the NT pick or do it really late in the draft, since would only need a young guy to push Jenkins for back up role...

However if he arrives out of shape for OTAs or shows too little, we could be in the NT market come draft time...

I won't be surprised if they get another space eater regardless. Graham definitely has a type when it comes to DL. 

• Like 1