Could the Commanders trade Montez Sweat during 2023 Draft

turtle28

Commanders DE Montez Sweat named potential trade candidate ahead of 2023 NFL draft

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/26/washington-commanders-de-montez-sweat-named-potential-trade-candidate-ahead-of-2023-nfl-draft-chase-young-daron-payne/ via @washington_wire

I felt this may be coming after they gave Payne his big contract extension the team was going to have to make a decision between Chase & Sweat now or at the latest next March after franchising Sweat and then deciding to trade Chase or Sweat based on how they performed this season.

I'm definitely thinking they can get at least a 2nd and a late-round pick for Sweat. Then, they can draft a DE with that pick to compete with JSW, Obada, Toohill & Shaka Toney.

Edited by turtle28

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Commanders DE Montez Sweat named potential trade candidate ahead of 2023 NFL draft

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/26/washington-commanders-de-montez-sweat-named-potential-trade-candidate-ahead-of-2023-nfl-draft-chase-young-daron-payne/ via @washington_wire

I felt this may be coming after they gave Payne his big contract extension the team was going to have to make a decision between Chase & Sweat now or at the latest next March after franchising Sweat and then deciding to trade Chase or Sweat based on how they performed this season.

I'm definitely thinking they can get at least a 2nd and a late-round pick for Sweat. Then, they can draft a DE with that pick to compete with JSW, Obada, Toohill & Shaka Toney.

I've been saying all along  our #1 draft option should be D E. If there is one deemed a value at our pick .

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That doesn't mean they're shopping him. This is just some dudes list of veterans who could be traded. 

There are other sources about Montez possibly being moved. 

I think it would be smart to move him rather than pay him big bucks.

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

There are other sources about Montez possibly being moved. 

I think it would be smart to move him rather than pay him big bucks.

I've seen nothing other than he's an obvious candidate. And again, you just saw what happens when Rivera enters an off-season with a fair amount of cap space. So its best to just pay our own instead of allowing this dummy to go overpay back ups. 

• Like 1

I think it would depend on the compensation we would get for him.  I seriously doubt we get a 1st round pick for him, and a 2nd is probably a stretch too.  I would also need more information on how much money he wants to get paid for an extension.  All that being said, I find it hard to believe we would get more compensation for him than we would likely receive via a comp pick if he were to leave in FA next year.  With that in mind I would probably just hang on to him. 

We also have no one on the roster who can actively take his spot.  We would just be creating an unecessary hole on the roster that would need immediate replacement with a high draft pick. On top of that, Young's health is still probably in question and our depth is nothing special, honestly I already thought backup edge was a need for us in this draft.  Moving Sweat at this time just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

That doesn't mean they're shopping him. This is just some dudes list of veterans who could be traded. 

True, titles of articles/blogs are always deceiving. I know better, should’ve read more than just the order few paragraphs of the article.

Sofia Vergara Reaction GIF by America's Got Talent

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I've seen nothing other than he's an obvious candidate. And again, you just saw what happens when Rivera enters an off-season with a fair amount of cap space. So it’s best to just pay our own instead of allowing this dummy to go overpay back ups. 

Truth GIF

Here’s a thought which I’m sure you will hate:

Montez Sweat, Curtis Samuel & a first & other picks for Lamar Jackson?